UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 26, 2018, 11:32:10 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: AUG: Divisions, draw and seeding talk  (Read 62221 times)
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »

Unlucky Chris, for forgetting to mention Ballarat you're going to end up with 830am games every day, with no 2 games anywhere near each other.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »

sorry dave,
but are you suggesting that syd should be seeded above newie because they came 2nd LAST YEAR? My god, newie won easterns in a canter and if you reckon that an extra half a team will beat chris-boy now that he has pecs, you are not only displaying the sydney-centric attitue that has plagued ultimate for the last decade but are also demonstrating your own, shall we say, unique take on the game. bring on the gold coast and watch out for the boy! he is awesome and is feared by all in newcastle (most especially by his brother)
p.s. he is coming to prague

hate to use history against you, but the first reason that i would say that is that most of the previous years AUG's seedings have used the previous years results as some form of indicator for seeding...We got 4 seed last year and 2nd in NSW because thats exactly where we slotted in from the previous years results. other people were seeded pretty much accordingly. flinders were seeded 8/9 or something...cos thats what they came the year before.

i wasnt at EUG and by all accounts Newcastle were far and away the best team there, and gave everyone the smackdown. but EUG isnt a qualifying tournement or a direct determinent of seeding. as for AUG...well we'll just have to wait and see.

and simmo...what is your dividing line for "serious medal contender". I hate to use UTS as an example but i know them them the best, and they where who i had in mind making my comment. They are a solid team who are unlikely to medal despite massive improvement, and will struggle to make top 8. Where does of a team of that character fit in your notion of serious medal contender. I mean you could narrow it down to 8 or 10 teams maybe...where do you draw the line? seems abit arbitrary to me.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 09:08:32 PM »

Unlucky Chris, for forgetting to mention Ballarat you're going to end up with 830am games every day, with no 2 games anywhere near each other.
Have I become that predictable?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
biskit

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »

and simmo...what is your dividing line for "serious medal contender". I hate to use UTS as an example but i know them them the best, and they where who i had in mind making my comment. They are a solid team who are unlikely to medal despite massive improvement, and will struggle to make top 8. Where does of a team of that character fit in your notion of serious medal contender. I mean you could narrow it down to 8 or 10 teams maybe...where do you draw the line? seems abit arbitrary to me.

This is the 'frustrating' point at the present... I think there is definitely a place at augs for teams like ANU, UTS and the other 'middle of the road' teams to be able to play in the 'competitive' section of the draw. These are teams who will put up a reasonable fight against the very top of the competition and who will have a pretty miserable week if they are stuck 'beating up' the purely social teams.

The 'middle of the pack' often have a bunch of reasonable to good nationals players who are keen to play good, competitive ultimate, but just don't have the depth to hang with the very top teams. So its just not fair to draw a line through the seedings and say "sorry, all teams below this line aren't good enough to be given the chance to play "the good teams" this year" unless that line is well defined before the tournament... this year that is simply not the case. Teams are registered under the assumption that they would be playing div 1, so then for this year at least, div 2 should be optional not enforced.

anyway, im hoping that this is all just hot air (mainly from me) and that nothing like this eventuates once the total number of teams is known.
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 12:49:22 AM »

Fuck it. One division.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 01:01:47 AM »

Fuck it. One division.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 06:52:04 AM »

Fuck it. One division.
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »

Fuck it. One division.

Word on the street - Gong will be sending a team, but it will be complete newbies most of whom will be unspirited as all hell (my sis knows them all and chose not to play for this reason).

If I get the time I'll try and give them a couple of training sessions so that when we all play them at AUG it may be slightly less painful...

Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »

fuck off. 2 divisions.

Surely there are 6 or so less competitive teams who can be convinced that playing against similarly skilled and motivated teams is more fun than getting repeated beat-downs for the first couple of days. Simmo can sweeten the deal with a "no early starts" or "take Wednesday off" policy or something.
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 04:11:49 AM »

Chris is fat!

Sorry, just thought I should add something constructive to the conversation
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »

Word on the street - Gong will be sending a team, but it will be complete newbies most of whom will be unspirited as all hell (my sis knows them all and chose not to play for this reason).

If I get the time I'll try and give them a couple of training sessions so that when we all play them at AUG it may be slightly less painful...

Gotta love playing teams like that. You think because they are new it will all be fun and games, but they turn out to be argumentative jerks, there are collisions, people get injured, and everyone leaves with a bad taste in their mouths. Quality.
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 10:59:34 PM »

Gotta love playing teams like that. You think because they are new it will all be fun and games, but they turn out to be argumentative jerks, there are collisions, people get injured, and everyone leaves with a bad taste in their mouths. Quality.

Hahahaha Swinburne 2006. Love it.

I hear what Chris Lavis is saying, however I'm unsure if you'll find 6 teams to voluntarially submit themselves to chump division. If I was a team captain of a developing team, I might not think my team could win (even though you have to have some kind of competitive goal), but I would want them to get experience seeing and playing against better teams. It would suck at the time if you're getting reamed 15-0 but hopefully the n00bs learn something. Also, when you go back the next year and lose 15-10, you can use it as a means to mark improvement.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »

Fuck it. One division.

Are they the same mob as last year?

So as far as this little black duck knows, there's 20 teams. Waiting to hear word from AUS on the official list of entrants. Any more than 20 and we'll look closer at two divisions. If there's just the 20 it'll be one division.

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »

Hahahaha Swinburne 2006. Love it.
And BUUF in 2004. I think we were the first uni team ever to finish dead last in both games and spirit. But let's not get too nostalgic.

moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 11:39:46 PM »

And BUUF in 2004. I think we were the first uni team ever to finish dead last in both games and spirit. But let's not get too nostalgic.

Goldiggaz went close to doing this as well didn't they? Impressive on a world stage...

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese