UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 18, 2019, 11:02:33 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Are you a minimalist?  Try the UltiTalk Simple Theme by changing your Current Theme.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: AUG: Divisions, draw and seeding talk  (Read 74798 times)
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 02:40:49 AM »

And BUUF in 2004. I think we were the first uni team ever to finish dead last in both games and spirit. But let's not get too nostalgic.

Wow.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

Frank rediscovers ultitalk; hilarity and one-word posts ensue.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »

OK, so AUS told me their "policy" is a 10 team Division 1 with everyone else in Division 2. I told them bollocks. They pointed me to their Divisional Sport Guideline.

So the formal recommendation I've put forward is for a 12-team Division 1 and 11-team Division 2. I'm not going to say who is in what division until AUS have accepted the format, however I remain confident everyone will be ok with where they have been placed.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »

Lolz!

And there I was, thinking that the old retarded days of unigames were past...
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »

Does AUS have a vision for what they want to do with frisbee? Do they have a motivation for going with 10 teams over another amount? I'm curious to know if its not just an arbitrary figure they have picked.

12 teams is going to stir a lot of shit. 2 divisions might result in shit being stirred regardless of the split, but I think it would be wise to avoid as much shit stirring as possible.

An obvious problem is that there is no predetermined process to figure out who lives or dies (metaphorically speaking). No one knows the process for this to be decided, let alone how the cards will fall when the process is carried out.

I sincerely hope we can do better that an arbitrary limit of 10 or 12 teams. We need a rationale for such a limited number.

ps: I'd just like to add that none of this would be a problem if they had not cancelled qualifiers like EUGs. With a formal qualification process for division one (all the AUGs only happy go lucky kids get auto entry to Div 2) there is the opportunity to build a fair and open process by which teams can earn a place in the top division. Any Div 1 allocation system that is based entirely on results from previous years and/or haphazard observations from a grab bag of tournaments and IVs is fraught with danger.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »

The 10 teams is a blanket policy across all sports. I agree that it is a bit silly to use last year's results as the indicator, but as I said, it's a policy that applies to all sports. Basically they want Division 1 to be elite competition, with Division 2 being the party (my words, not theirs)

There are two teams (that didn't compete last year. I reckon you can guess who) that I'm pushing to be added to the top 10 (that are returning) from last year to make a 12 team Division 1. Hopefully I'll hear back today.

DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »

if there is a 12 team division 1, i would be happy to have less games than last year. it will make the compeititon tighter, but in that case teams would benefit from less games. It would add little to the standard of ultimate making teams play more. Certainly no 4 game days would be appreciated if every game is going to be a hard slog, as opposed to some classic uni games canters against inexperienced teams.
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 07:50:03 PM »

So top 10 teams from last year are FU, USYD, AU, MELB, MQU, UWA, NCLE, MON, LTU, and DEAK. I'm assuming the 2 extra teams Simmo mentioned are UQ and NZ(?). I think the top 8 teams from last year all deserve to be in a 12 team div 1 competition this year. I'm not so sure about LTU and DEAK because I don't know a lot about them. I do know ANU and UTS would be very disappointed to miss out on a div 1 spot because they both have much improved squads compared to last year and CSU got bronze at EUG. Also having 6 southern region teams and only 3 eastern region teams based on 1 year of Southern domination (when AUGs happened to be in Melbourne) seems a bit odd.
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »

Does AUS have a vision for what they want to do with frisbee? Do they have a motivation for going with 10 teams over another amount? I'm curious to know if its not just an arbitrary figure they have picked.

Jeezus I cant believe I'm about to do this, but I agree with pretty much everything Tom said.

In regards to the top 10-12. Latrobe will not be entering a team this year which opens up one more spot (which I think ANU should take). I'm not sure if deakin are coming either. I think CSU and UTS would round out the top 10-12.

Also having 6 southern region teams and only 3 eastern region teams based on 1 year of Southern domination (when AUGs happened to be in Melbourne) seems a bit odd.

Don't be bitter that the polar shift has occured and you're on the wrong side of the equator chrisboy.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »

are AU allowed to be in div 1 with the team being from 2 uni's?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »

are AU allowed to be in div 1 with the team being from 2 uni's?
Negative.

The teams that are assured of a Div1 berth are Flinders, Sydney, Melbourne, Macquarie, UWA, Monash, Newcastle, UTS, ANU and Ballarat. UQ's absence last year mean they don't get an automatic spot, no matter how good their team is. I've applied for an exception on their behalf and I'd say they're 95%. The 12th spot (I like even numbers) is still in talks, with a couple of teams in the running.

Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »

Don't be bitter that the polar shift has occured and you're on the wrong side of the equator chrisboy.

This would be the polar shift that sees Latrobe not sending a team, deakin unsure and AU having to join up with USA?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:36:10 PM by Chris L » Logged
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »

if there is a 12 team division 1, i would be happy to have less games than last year. it will make the compeititon tighter, but in that case teams would benefit from less games. It would add little to the standard of ultimate making teams play more. Certainly no 4 game days would be appreciated if every game is going to be a hard slog, as opposed to some classic uni games canters against inexperienced teams.
The draw I've submitted has less games than last year per team (9-10 as opposed to 10-12) and no 4-game days for anyone in either division.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:38:15 PM by simmo » Logged

moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »

This would be the polar shift that sees Latrobe not sending a team, deakin unsure and AU having to join up with USA?

I smell a Truter-Pillar-esque bet coming on. You like playing in a dress Lavis? Loser of Monash v Newcastle has to wear a dress in their final placing game?

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »

My pick for you. Will bring out your eyes.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese