UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 23, 2014, 01:44:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Subscribe to our RSS feeds. Click the next to the board of your choice.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: AUG: Divisions, draw and seeding talk  (Read 31766 times)
BJ

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »

The AU/Unisa team would make the quarter finals and be competitve with any div 1 side.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »

The AU/Unisa team would make the quarter finals and be competitve with any div 1 side.

GRUMPY!

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »

Hey Simmo, what does your proposed div 1 draw look like? 3 pools of 4, 4 pools of 3, amount of crossovers etc?
SammyO

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2009, 12:11:38 AM »

BJ recruiting from 2 Unis doesn't make your chances any better.

The walkover games are a right of passage for all university players.

Too right they are moz.
biskit

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2009, 02:05:52 AM »

GRUMPY!

They have full right to be grumpy along with the NZ team.

It sounds like things are set in stone for this year, but I sure hope there is more clarity about the qualification process for next year so that teams aren't having to commit to uni games before they know which division they are going to play in (especially if they are coming from NZ). It is just unfortunate that it worked out this way this year, and I feel really sorry for the teams who have been bumped into div 2 when they thought they should be div 1(mainly because I have been dreading the thought of having it happen to us).

Im also surprised that CSU chose to play in the lower division... It may turn out to be a reasonably good fight between the top 3 or so teams.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009, 03:33:44 AM »

I think regional qualifiers will mean more next year, as well as attending AUG's the previous year.

If you don't attend, you start in Div 2 and need to work your way up.

CSU chose Div 2 due to the fact that they are joining Bathurst and Wagga campuses for the competition this year.
nickp

New Zealand New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 04:07:13 AM »

It sounds like things are set in stone for this year, but I sure hope there is more clarity about the qualification process for next year so that teams aren't having to commit to uni games before they know which division they are going to play in (especially if they are coming from NZ). It is just unfortunate that it worked out this way this year, and I feel really sorry for the teams who have been bumped into div 2 when they thought they should be div 1(mainly because I have been dreading the thought of having it happen to us).

Im also surprised that CSU chose to play in the lower division... It may turn out to be a reasonably good fight between the top 3 or so teams.

Would be nice if a couple more teams "choose" to be in div 2. Maybe we can play the better teams more than once somehow.

The main reason I'm annoyed is that NZ Uni Games normally has 6 teams, of which 3 are learning from scratch at the tournament. Giving up to 3 competitive games. Actually our team won this year with a combined score of 109-12 in 7 games. I was looking forward to having to work more than that. Especially when we have to pay more for the tournament and travel than you ozzie fullas.

I wonder if our uni games would count as a regional qualifier. We can't make it over every year.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »

They have full right to be grumpy along with the NZ team.

I agree. Fair enough AUS doesn't want to give combined/international teams a shot at a medal (what *are* their official reasons, Simmo?) but to set it in stone a month before the tournament - ie at the point of no return - is a bit of a dick move.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:16 AM »

I should also quickly point out that regional tournaments such as EUGs, ECC and their respective north sorth and west buddies will be *COMPLETELY* fucked from an ultimate perspective next year... World Clubs, U23 and U19.... all will pull players to Europe during the entire period that those tournaments will be played.

Maybe an emphasise on qualification tournaments for 2011?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »

I agree. Fair enough AUS doesn't want to give combined/international teams a shot at a medal (what *are* their official reasons, Simmo?) but to set it in stone a month before the tournament - ie at the point of no return - is a bit of a dick move.
I totally agree that it's not ideal but I believe AUS informed the teams from the outset that they would be in Division 2. Nick can you let me know if this wasn't the case.

Here's the AUS Divisional Sport Guideline
https://secure.unigames.com.au/_uploads/res/1_1387.pdf

Point 1.5...
The competition size of division 1 will be advised one week after the close of registrations, once the number of teams in the combined competition are confirmed.

It's a bit difficult to make a call on these things before you know how many teams are coming.

Also make a note of section 2 - Qualification Guidelines. To the best of my knowledge this will stand for 2010 and be reviewed for 2011.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 09:45:37 AM »

how serious are AUS on the 6-8 team div 1 thing (in the future). Is this document based on the assumption that there usually arent 20+ unis playing most sports. A 6-8 team div 1 would blow over 5 days, hardly play at all, and alot of stiff comp would be shifted into div 2. I suppose most sports arent used to playing multiple games a day either.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »

also its problematic with only 1 relegation spot automatically provided...it will lead to teams being entrenched in div 1, and if you happen to have a bad year, may be stuck in div 2 for years. And it makes it super tough for teams to battle up out of div 2. Dislike.
Henry

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »

The thing is Maple, I don't think any of the other sports actually play for 5 days...  Some of them only have one day of competition!

If they had a policy that they've always stuck to then fine, I think everyone would be able to accept it and deal with it.  The fact that they're only choosing to enforce it this year where in previous years there's been 20+ teams and only one division, is a bit weird.

Also, ultimate can't be the only sport that sees a teams skill level dramatically change over a 1 year period.  Do other sports complain? Just curious
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »

Pissy, just pull out the “oh well maybe AUG isn’t the place for this competition anymore” line. They know how much money they make out of this sport that uses practically no equipment and no referees. They also know that we’re the biggest sport there (at least we were at one stage is this still the case?). If we can’t be treated as a sport that has unique needs and considerations, then maybe we should go somewhere that will. This being a complete bluff of course as everyone knows the only way we get fresh blood in this sport is through the lure of uni-games-poon.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »

We were the biggest sport in 2006. Not even close any more. Off the top of my head AFL, basketball, beach volleyball, netball and touch were all bigger last year.

Maple - I don't think we'll struggle to be allowed 10-12 teams in a Div1. Teams can apply for exceptions, too. If a Div2 team suddenly picks up a bunch of Seppos they can apply to go up. Similarly, a Div1 team can apply to go down if they lose everyone through graduation.

Bear in mind that if we drop to 14 teams or whatever next year (quite likely due to reasons Twats mentioned, plus AUG being in Perth) we'll be back to one division.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese