UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. December 19, 2014, 04:41:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Facebook Connect! UltiTalk is now connected to Facebook for added social networking features.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: AUG: Divisions, draw and seeding talk  (Read 34151 times)
Eels 88

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2009, 04:32:38 AM »

I heard a rumour that it was harder to make the Monash starting line-up this year than it would be to get G+G?

Wanna shed any light on that Mr Moroney?

I never said that. Not once. Unless I was hammered.

Point in question?

Moz, I was down at league the other night when I heard some kids giving you shit mate. But fear not my friend, I stood up for you.

They were on about you being a "blatant homosexual, and liking to eat dick sandwiches."

But because I'm a good mate and have your back, I put them straight.

I was like: "no way man, no f****** way, Moz is a cool dude. He would never do that."

No sir, I would not stand for such accusations.

I looked those kids straight in the eye and I told them that there was no way you eat dick sandwiches - you don't like bread.
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »

Are we going to get to see the draw in advance or do we have to wait for that Sunday afternoon meeting on the Gold Coast?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2009, 03:03:44 AM »

Hopefully. I know what would happen if I sent it out - something would change meaning I had to redo it.

The format however...

Division 1
2 pools of 6. Round robin over Mon-Tues
Next phase is 3 pools of 4 - top 4, middle 4, bottom 4. Results carry over, 2 crossover games on Wed
3-6 and 7-10 play pre-semis on Thursday morning. 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 semis on Thursday arvo.
Playoffs on Friday

Division 2
3 pools (4, 4 and 3). Round robin on Mon-Tues.
Next phase is top 6 and bottom 5. Results carry over. Tues-Wed.
Top 8 play quarters and semis. Bottom 3 play round robin. Thurs.
5-8 playoffs on Thurs. Medal games on Friday.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »

I like the 2 pools of 6 and 9 or 10 games over the 5 days is good. Am I right in saying that if you are in the bottom pool of 4 then you cannot make the pre-semis but can finish as high as 7? That seems fair unless there is some really dodgy seeding going on. Thanks Simmo. 
Stafman

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2009, 10:17:10 PM »

Am I right in saying that if you are in the bottom pool of 4 then you cannot make the pre-semis but can finish as high as 7?

It looks to me someone who finished 9th or 10th (still in bottom pool) can make it as high as 5th, by winning every game from pre-semi. Assuming the losing teams from the 3-6 pre-semi play the winners from the 7-10 pre semi. No problem there especially as seeding seems to be 1/4 history, 1/4 educated, then half the number of spanners in a sidchrome toolkit to get the result.

Anyway, what i am saying is it doesn't really matter. If you finish in top 6, then it looks like you can make the final (fair enough). If you make the top 10, it looks like you can make it to 5th if you play well in the playoff games and if not, then i'll see you at the bar.

matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »

Finally to all those teams that complain about how much they have to pay to play AUG have a think about us who before even being able to pay for player registration are up for and average of $700 in flights

AUG in Perth next year!

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2009, 11:16:33 PM »

Nick, can you please email me a list of your players and the highest level of ultimate they have played in the last 12-18 months (Worlds, NZ Nats, etc).
Done. Basics: 3 worlds players, another 6 who played in the semis at our Nationals in April, 5 more who won our Uni Games and a couple of Newbies. Should do ok.

If it's any consolation (it's not, but hear me out), the Div2 draw will separate into a top 6 and bottom 5 on Tuesday. I fully believe that the fight for medals between NZ, AU/USA, CSU, QUT, UNSW and whoever the 6th team is (Vic probably) will actually be a pretty tight comp.
Choice, well that sounds more fun.
We do have one positive in that we'll know noone over there so every game will be different. Gets boring playing the same teams/players all the time.

QUT should offer a decent game. we have a small squad but got a few internationals this year. Led by our only just legal virgin captain Rhys the team should fire up. Ill admit we can't do any worse than last year.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »

Am I right in saying that if you are in the bottom pool of 4 then you cannot make the pre-semis but can finish as high as 7?

It looks to me someone who finished 9th or 10th (still in bottom pool) can make it as high as 5th, by winning every game from pre-semi.
Spot on.

What's holding up me sending the draw out is that the field layout and timeslots are yet to be set in stone. They seem to have been changing every week. I don't think it's going to be 8:30/10:30/12:30/2:30 because they were imposed on us by Albert Park. Ideally it'll be 9:30/11:30/1:30/3:30 but we'll have to wait and see.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
ash_5
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:56 AM »

yeah AUGs in Perth!!

Finally to all those teams that complain about how much they have to pay to play AUG have a think about us who before even being able to pay for player registration are up for and average of $700 in flights

AUG in Perth next year!
PiersTruter

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2009, 12:06:49 AM »

Pissy, just pull out the “oh well maybe AUG isn’t the place for this competition anymore” line. They know how much money they make out of this sport that uses practically no equipment and no referees. They also know that we’re the biggest sport there (at least we were at one stage is this still the case?). If we can’t be treated as a sport that has unique needs and considerations, then maybe we should go somewhere that will. This being a complete bluff of course as everyone knows the only way we get fresh blood in this sport is through the lure of uni-games-poon.

I am personally completely opposed to the two divisions in ultimate at AUGs. I will be talking to the AFDA Board about communicating our issues with the concept to Australian University Sport. Nobody wants it and it is impossible to administer because of the turnover of players in uni teams. A top3 team can become a wooden spoon team in only 12 months.

Piers
Chris L

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »

What's holding up me sending the draw out is that the field layout and timeslots are yet to be set in stone. They seem to have been changing every week. I don't think it's going to be 8:30/10:30/12:30/2:30 because they were imposed on us by Albert Park. Ideally it'll be 9:30/11:30/1:30/3:30 but we'll have to wait and see.

Any chance you can release the seeding and initial pools? Your blog suggested that has all been finalised.
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »

Any chance you can release the seeding and initial pools? Your blog suggested that has all been finalised.

Wow Chris, calm down! The term "Ulti Nerd" comes to mind!

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2009, 05:15:37 AM »

Div.1
A1   Flinders
A2   Sydney
A3   Melbourne
A4   Macquarie
A5   UWA
A6   Monash
A7   Newcastle
A8   UTS
A9   ANU
A10   Ballarat
A11   GU
A12   UQ

Div.2
G1   Wollongong
G2   QUT
G3   UNSW
G4   Vic Uni
G5   Aust College P.E
G6   ACU
G7   Uni of New England
G8   UWS
G9   CSU
G10   Vic Uni Wellington
G11   Adel-UniSa

Still a draft but email went out to captains today

Stafman

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »

Div.1
A1   Flinders
A2   Sydney
A3   Melbourne
A4   Macquarie
A5   UWA
A6   Monash
A7   Newcastle
A8   UTS
A9   ANU
A10   Ballarat
A11   GU
A12   UQ

Div.2
G1   Wollongong
G2   QUT
G3   UNSW
G4   Vic Uni
G5   Aust College P.E
G6   ACU
G7   Uni of New England
G8   UWS
G9   CSU
G10   Vic Uni Wellington
G11   Adel-UniSa

Still a draft but email went out to captains today

Pity the teams that get UQ as the "12th" seed in their pool...
el_joshie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »

the seedings are fucked for now
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese