UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 20, 2019, 06:14:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Subscribe to our RSS feeds. Click the next to the board of your choice.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: NUFL  (Read 81981 times)
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 06:59:17 PM »

Again, check the front AFDA page....NUFL team numbers have been released.

As expected, Fak have elected to avoid free agents where possible and Melbourne women will have no free agents at all (Or their picks are effectively going to be the 17/18th melb women anyway)

24 spots for boys and 18 spots for girls

There are about 34 boys trying out for those spots, so thats a bunch that will miss out, I know how that feels Sad

I suppose the distribution is fairly even amongst the teams, aside from Fak and Sublime. Fak only want 2 free agents and Sublime will be picking up quite a few. There are a couple of ex-WA players that might slip on to Sublime very easily, it will be interesting to see. By sheer fact that they have to pick more than the others, I'd suggest Sublime gets the first draft pick. I presume JD is picking...I wonder who he'll pick as the first draft pick! (I think Hobbit is a good chance)

Should be interesting to see how it all turns out!

-Tom
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:30 PM »

Free Agent players have been announced on AFDA

Can't wait to see who goes where!

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2007, 11:22:40 PM »

Yep, I'm quite excited as well.

From what I have heard about the draft process, teams that have the smallest core rosters will pretty much automatically get their extra picks before everyone else. This is primarily Sublime, Factory Girls (Canberra women) and Sultry (Qld women).

Of the 24 free agents, 18 played for deathstar, hah!

So Sublime will probably get the first three picks automatically and then Sublime, HOS, Chilly and Firestorm will fight off for the fourth pick.

I certainly think its a little extreme to say that HOS won't win a game. They are certainly stronger than Chilly B or Karma, who both filled the 6th team gap in past years.

-Tom
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 03:16:39 AM »

Sweet! Now we can have AFL/NBA style #1 draft pick discussions!

Women: Ash Martens
Men: Jonno Holmes

Anyone care to disagree?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 05:40:19 AM »

Most of the Newwie guys would be a great addition to any NUFL team.

Probably what will be of much greater interest will be which teams get first pick. I would appear that with Chilly missing a few of their stars that the loose seeds would be something to this effect:

1:Fak
2:Barefoot
3/4:Chilly/Firestorm
5/6:HoS/Sublime

Well that is the general vibe I'm getting from people I have spoken about it with. Though of course being a Firestorm boy I'm more than confident that with the core roster that Firestorm has posted has the ability to win the 07 NUFL series. Of course I'm interested to see how thing shape up after the draft picks.

Can I ask - do any of the HoS boys know what the go is with your team yet? You guys took 21 to Nationals didn't you? But you've only nominated 14 for NUFL - is this due to expenses? time? availability? or did you cut your roster down significantly? How's it looking now? Stronger/weaker than Nats?

I'm just asking because HoS from my perspective is one of those mostly unknown quantities.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:51:43 AM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 06:53:05 AM »

I'm just asking because HoS from my perspective is one of those mostly unknown quantities.

And you're scared of the unknown aren't you! Tongue hehe.

Here's what happened.

We took 21 to Nationals.
We lost Piers to Firestorm 21 - 1 = 20
2 guys didn't want to play 20 - 2 = 18

Of that 18, 10 are making up the core team to play both NUFL 1 & 2.
The other 8 guys are only playing one NUFL. 4 are playing in Sydney at NUFL1 and 4 are playing in Melbourne at NUFL2.

So, 10 core HOS players + 4 other HOS players + 4 free agents = 1 Mighty NUFL Team.

NUFL wasn't in our initial 5 year plan. We're stoked to have been offered a spot in our first year as a team.
And with G'pa Piers gone, our average age will drop to somewhere around 20-21. That means many more years of NUFL.

Yay Ya!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:55:22 AM by timill » Logged

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »

OK so I'm to understand than that the reducing from 21 to 14, isn't as much a "trimming of the fat" per se as it is just availability and desire to play. So then my understanding is the HoS team won't be any stronger than their Nationals team before pickups?

I'm actually really interested to see how some of these teams stack up after the draft picks, and it will be interesting to see the people that some teams pick. Like obviously different teams are going to be lacking different aspects whether it be handlers, cutters, recievers, bench warmers, except of course for Firestorm who have it all...   Grin!

(note: I got the role of bench warmer)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 11:50:10 PM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2007, 06:43:05 AM »

Nah, HoS have certainly trimmed the fat. Look at who isn't playing for them *cough*piers*cough* Tongue

I expect great things from these boys, I hope they beat up some chumps at nufl.

The first draft pick won't be as exciting as it will effectively be the first draft trio pick, as Sublime will make the first three picks before other teams start contesting the picking thingo. I'm certain that johnno and hobbit will be in that top three and then probably Timmah L. I imagine this is how it is happening for the boys because this is what I have been told is happening for the girls.

Ummm I just thought of something....do all the NUFL core teams have extra shirts for us free agent chumps?

I also have good word that Ash Martens *does* have a pretty good chance at being the first draft pick, as I was chatting with the canberran lady that is making the decision about who the first pick is.
Joe - Barefoot

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »

When's the draft occurring?
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »

After the National Training Camp I think.

Northern Mike

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »

Hey Tom

Firestorm are currently working on getting some extra playing strips imported.

Which number do you want mate?

Mike
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »

Awesome, I'd like 8 or 88 if you can manage it Smiley

Hah, Reminds me of the silliness of getting my number for the original deathstar shirts. I put my preferences in late and said I'd take 8, then 18 or 88 and I joked that if those numbers were taken then I'd go sideways eight, infinity..... of course, thats what I ended up with.

The NUFL team selectors will be meeting the night of the 22nd of July to do the draft, so i imagine it'd be announced in the couple of days after that.

-Tom
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2007, 09:50:31 AM »

I also have good word that Ash Martens *does* have a pretty good chance at being the first draft pick
If the open teams were eligible to pick her I'm quietly confident she'd have a fair crack at being the top draft pick - she's unreal!

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2007, 08:07:22 PM »

(note: I got the role of bench warmer)

ill be there with you however i think i am more of a water boy.
disc_faerie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2007, 07:19:08 AM »

Sweet! Now we can have AFL/NBA style #1 draft pick discussions!

Women: Ash Martens
Men: Jonno Holmes

Anyone care to disagree?

me likey...let the bidding begin...anybody give me 5bucks?

ash

"It's probably not a good idea to be chewing on a toothpick if you're talking to the president, because what if he says something stupid and you laugh so hard you spit the toothpick out and it hits him in the face or something."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese