UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 18, 2019, 04:47:24 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Are you a minimalist?  Try the UltiTalk Simple Theme by changing your Current Theme.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ultimate Text Message Alerts  (Read 8269 times)
NathanielGuy

United States United States

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:12 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I have been investigating solutions for alerting groups to ultimate events, things like short notice throwing sessions or league night reminders.

The problem exists in two forms for our community.  First, my college team communicates primarily through email.  When someone sends out an email letting everyone know they are throwing on the quad more often than not you get the email after throwing has already ended.  A way to quickly send a note like that to the entire team, without forgetting the freshmen and such is what I'm going for.

Second, in an effort to boost pickup and league night participation I was thinking about a text message reminder beforehand.  This is a less challenging situation because the times and dates are pre set and emails generally work well for reminders.

Has anyone tried text messages before? Or found other ways to overcome the lack of a good instant mass communication method?

Do you know of any solid services that offer this?  I have a working homemade solution but it could be improved.

Nathaniel
evanhp

The Rock-Rockford, IL 2009

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »

first of all whats up Nate?

yea we use text messages all the time as communication. i have a preset group in my phone with all the ultimate guys.
i just type the text and choose their "group" in my phone and it sends out to everyone.

our problem is not everyone has a phone with texting or a phone at all sometimes and i just have to make sure and remember those guys and call them instead.

it takes effort but in turn it works better than anything ive found so far.
hope that helps. there are also online texting programs where you type your message and select numbers ive used them but they never seem to be reliable and most of them are trials or have stupid limitations on them

-Promoting Ultimate in the Midwest-Ozarks
www.UPOz.org
NathanielGuy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »

I'm putting the touches on a web app to do this.

Right now I'm working with a modified phplist.  The usage goes like this:

Teammates register their phone numbers online and pick which lists to be on.
Teammates can text an address, which forwards the message to the modified phplist app
the phplist app repeats the text message to all registered numbers which are on the list
each address you can text corresponds to a list, for example: text [email protected] could text the women's team, whereas [email protected] could text the entire community.
evanhp

The Rock-Rockford, IL 2009

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

nice job dude thats great.
hope it works out for you and would love to try it sometime for our guys.
let me know how you progress

-Promoting Ultimate in the Midwest-Ozarks
www.UPOz.org
Apriori

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:40 AM »

I'm sure that text would be fine, alternatively you could buy iPhones for your whole team so people can check their email anywhere. Or use something like Twitter.
NathanielGuy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »

Just got it working with lists for the men's and women's teams and sent invites to a couple teammates.  I'll post again when I see how effective it is.

If it turns out to be a really good tool I'll try to make it more portable so other people can use it.

Twitter really inspired this idea, but it differs in twitter in one important way, the stream is two way.  Whereas with Twitter you can only receive updates from someone you choose, you can't push an update to them, with this system you can push updates to the group.

Its a  listserv for text messages

Another key difference from email is the availability of the user; when you get an email its notification is often passive, whenever you check your email you see it.  With text the notification is most often intrusive, users being buzzed at immediately and often immediately reading and replying to the text.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:03:56 PM by NathanielGuy » Logged
pjw

Canada Canada

HappyTC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »

Hi folks,

As noted in another UltiTalk post, HappyTC.com (team management tool extraordinaire) lets you send free SMS/text messages to your team (as well as the usual emails).

Set up a team Twitter account, and enter it into HappyTC. When you send emails to team mates via HappyTC, it will also post to Twitter.

Get the players to following the Twitter account and "allow mobile updates" and voila -- free SMS/text messages to your team (as well as email).

More info here: http://info.happytc.com/wtf/twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese