UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 26, 2019, 09:56:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How can i "coach" a mid level team?  (Read 5335 times)
desmond

Singapore Singapore

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »

I've put up a post but i realised that maybe i should have more specific questions for you guys out there to answer?So here are some questions that i would like to know.
1. What are some drills that we should do during weekly trainings?

2. What motivates a player the most?(i realised some players come for the sake of coming only?)

3. How can the team be prepared for a competition?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 04:28:35 AM by desmond » Logged
huanga1

United States United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »

By mid-level I'm assuming the players have basic throwing skills, and know basic formations like V stack, H stack, and zone O and D.

1. What I found to be effective during my coaching experience was to focus on one aspect of the game each week. For example if I felt the team needed to improve on playing the H stack, I would choose or invent drills that focus on vertical cutting, handler motion, and sideline plays. If the team needed to work on advanced catching, I would use drills that focused on one handed catching, reading, and skying.

There are tons of drills available online, like http://www.ultimatehandbook.com/blog/. But what I like to do is to choose one basic drill, and make 3-4 different variations on it with increasing difficulty. I would start with the most basic, and gradually step it up every 15 minutes. At the very end I would make it a game and introduce some competition. It could be last man standing, or tournament elimination, or most number of points. It doesn't really matter as long as the players are motivated and are having fun. Having some fun during practice is a huge factor for getting regular attendance.

2. Ultimate is a social sport and you will always have people who are there just to be there with their friends. Depending on how many players you have, you could split the group into two and have separate trainings for each. That way the more motivated players will get a good run and the social players can also have fun.

What motivates a player the most is having a goal that seems slightly out of reach. For one season I had a athletic pickup team that wasn't used to playing organized Ultimate. We had both a B pool team and a C pool team. And my goal for both teams at the start of the season was to advance up to the next pool. I would constantly remind the team of our goals and make sure they understood that each practice was bringing us closer to our goal. When the league finally started we not only reached our goal, but far surpassed it. The pool B team became a legitimate pool A team. And the pool C team destroyed all the other pool C teams and stayed firmly in pool B.

3. A team should prepare for competition by simulating competition as much as possible. Which means scrimmaging or having exhibition games against other clubs. By constantly exposing your players to competition and game situations, they will become more comfortable with the pressure and nerves one feels during a game. Have a reward for the winning team and a penalty for the losing team so that all players have something to play for. Coach as if it's a real game. Take out players who aren't playing hard and make sure everyone is taking it seriously.

Before a competition you should also address your team weaknesses. That way it not only makes it less of a weakness, it also gives your players more confidence because they practiced it.

There's a ton more I can say, but those are the most important points in my opinion. Hope it helps.

Pepper

Netherlands Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:52:57 AM »

I fully agree on the previous post's points. As for competition and identifying weaknesses, I usually do a simple SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis of the team. Last year for example I was coaching a team who had no deep threat but did have a good dominator. So I took some plays that I still had, modified them so that the deep threat would always be unmissable to them and then practised those plays. I also devoted about 30 minutes per training on teaching people to throw a good backhand huck, from the correct position on the field.

Good luck on your coaching!

Want to win? Want to improve your distance, accuracy and effictiveness throwing a frisbee disc? - Visit www.howtothrowlikeapro.com!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese