UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 17, 2019, 06:58:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Ten" or "stall" at the end of stall count  (Read 13447 times)
katon

Ukraine Ukraine

Western Ukrainian Ultimate League

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2009, 06:18:30 AM »

We have a disputable situation, and I ask you guys to express your opinion.

According to WFDF ultimate rules of 2009 (3.1.7):

A turnover transfers possession of the disc from one team to the other and occurs when ... the thrower has not released the disc before the marker first starts to say the word “ten” in the stall count (a “stall-out”)

This is perfectly clear.  

However we had a situation where the marker said "stall" instead of "ten" before the disk was released.  We believe that "stall" in this case is a legitimate replacement of "ten", and after it was pronounced, turnover should occur.  Our opponent says that "stall" is not a legitimate replacement of "ten" and thus the disk should not transferred to the other team.

The question is: Did we have to transfer the disk to the defending team?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:03:01 AM by katon » Logged
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »

Hey Katon,

Welcome to UT.   Smiley

With regards to you inquiry, I believe that the marker must utter the word "ten" for a stall to occur.  They can say "ten" and then "stall", but they must utter the word "ten".  Therefore the disc should remain with the offense and I'm thinking the stall count would return to 8 (i.e. a contested stall).

My thoughts anyway...

Cheers!

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »

I agree, the word ten needs to be said. No where have I ever seen where you can replace a word in the stall count the rules specifically mention the word ten even.
katon

Ukraine Ukraine

Western Ukrainian Ultimate League

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:49:55 AM »

Thank you guys!
Checkity

United Kingdom United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »

and for indoors its on the "E" of the eight right? after you begin saying eight then it is technically a stallout?
tommynomad

New Zealand New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »

When I played in Canada, the stall counts usually sounded like this:
"Stall one,
Stall two,
Stall three..."
So the T in "ten" was never in doubt. 

Some players would count like this:
"Stalling: one,
Two,
Three,..."

Either way, the stall was called as follows:
"...Ten! Stall!"

Where the word "stall" was spoken to alert players to the pending turnover,in the same way that any call is made.
aaragonjayo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »

I would agree with "Stall" instead of "Ten" being used.  Isn't the idea that the handler gets ten seconds to get rid of the disc? I would think that as long as you are counting and you reach the ten mark it shouldn't matter weather you say "Ten" or "Stall" or anything you feel gives flair to the game. 
aaragonjayo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »

ah yes,

I used "Stalling one, stalling two, stalling three"...  etc.  I am also in agreement with Seppo. As long as there is a number included in the count.  However, as I said before, I think it is ok to use something else at the end of the count other than Ten; as long as it lets the handler know that time is up.  Very similar to when a refery is counting in a game and when time comes he/she yells Time!
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »

You can argue whether saying stall or ten provides the same 10 seconds or not and thats fine but the rules are very clear. Stall can not be used in place of ten it specifically says utterance of the word ten in the rules.

XIV. The Marker
Section A: Stalling
Rule 3. If the thrower has not released the disc at the first utterance of the word ten, it is a turnover. The marker loudly announces stall and play stops. A stall is not a violation and rule XVI.C does not apply.
alexb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:51:15 PM »

I remember questioning that myself a bit ago and I had to look up that very rule about the vocalizing of "ten" so now I always count "stalling one, two" that way the stall doesnt extend the time im counting, but I was wondering if this is offically a legitament way to count stalls?
Pepper

Netherlands Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 05:02:58 AM »

You can count 'stalling one, two, ...' or 'stall one, stall two'. The difference is that the latter is easier to prevent a fast count. I have a basketball referee diploma and one of the things we learned is counting to 8 seconds. You won't believe the amount of difference we had, while we were all certain we were roughly right. Some people had 11 seconds, some 5!

Want to win? Want to improve your distance, accuracy and effictiveness throwing a frisbee disc? - Visit www.howtothrowlikeapro.com!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese