UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 14, 2020, 10:37:46 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Are you a minimalist?  Try the UltiTalk Simple Theme by changing your Current Theme.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WUGC 2008  (Read 240977 times)
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2007, 02:14:08 AM »

Rachel, you are one hell of an angry -

Oh. You said that already. And she wonders why I'm scared of her - although the fact that a mere ten minutes after Brett posts a question Rachel answers it makes it clear to me why she won administrator of the year.

Though no surprise really.

After the mixed nationals party Brett here couldn't even administrate himself out of bed.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2007, 03:37:10 AM »

...its not that brett couldn't administrate himself out of bed, its that he really really didn't want to.

I like to think there is a difference  Grin
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2007, 07:23:47 AM »

The WUGC Squad will be announced next week!!!

Who's cuisine will reign supreme???

Any one tipping any dark horses to make the cut?

Any big names to miss out?

Now is your chance to make another bold prediction Johnny Mac  Cheesy

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2007, 09:32:42 AM »

I'm fairly sure I'm not going to make it.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2007, 09:36:04 AM »

How many make the 'squad'?  

On another topic, who has impressed everyone with their play these past few months?  

I would say Wood has been stepping up and solidifying his game, and Wazza has stepped up to be a serious threat on the field!  Pottsy has definitely been playing better and better each time he has stepped on the field.  Johnny Mac, minus one uni games semi-final, is still one of the best throwers in the nation, competing with recent Mixed Champion JD 'the enforcer' whose arm can only throw perfection in disc form.  Chris Cunliffe has definitely developed the triple threat with throws, Defense, and long strikes.  Dan rule can still outplay 99% of Australia's offensive handlers, and without any knees!  Tom Watson has joined Chris is developing the whole package!  Tom Walcott has earned his spot as a 'big man.'  My boy Sebb has also shown the old boys he has got some new tricks!  Adam Mortimer is playing the best ultimate I have seen him play.  Reubs is a machine no matter where you put him!  Cupcake and Tex are both showing everyone that the shorter boys can play some ball!  Al Don and James Larkin are putting Queensland on the map again!  Piers truter may actively try to injure himself, but the kid has still got game!  Tats and Tim Lavis have the height, throws, and speed to make any defender show some respect.  Only saw him at Halibut, but Huy vu is looking like a champion when he is on the pitch.  

I have only been playing, and in the country, a few years, but these guys have all recently impressed me personally, and I am not even considering the Big Name players who are sure to make the cut (Dowles, Shepherds, Gardner, Abra Garfield, Gavin Moore, Gus guy, Mike Nield, etc.)

I can only speak about who I have seen playing a decent amount recently, if you have seen anyone who is definitely impressive and inspirational, let it be known!

Australian ultimate is looking incredible and I am very confident in saying that whoever makes the Australian teams for Vancouver, you will definitely be coming home with some bling!  Keep up the good work everyone! The future is bright for the Green and Gold!!!
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »

Jangles doesnt even get a mention  Cry oh well doesnt suprise me much.

i do agree with pretty much all those chumps brett mentioned. Especially Chumpcott i think i saw him get off the ground twice at uni games.
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2007, 07:50:08 PM »

The WUGC Squad will be announced next week!!!

Who's cuisine will reign supreme???

Any one tipping any dark horses to make the cut?

Any big names to miss out?

Now is your chance to make another bold prediction Johnny Mac 

Haha i suppose i better sort through the deposits first. Damn people who cant do things on time!!!! I think the squad will be extremely strong no matter who makes the cut so if you miss out you will be one of about 50 so dont fret.
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »

Especially Chumpcott i think i saw him get off the ground twice at uni games.

yeah, its amazing what happens when he actually jumps!

I think between the open, women and mixed squads there will be roughly 40-45 boys and 40-45 girls and that will get cut down again next year (?) to the last roughly 30 boys and 30 girls that will make up the open, mixed and women teams.

-Tom
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »

I don't know much, but it seems like the Open team would take roughly 24-25 and the mixed team would take around 11-12 boys, so it seems that overall, 35-37 boys overall will make a team.  What does everyone else think?
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »

I personally think that squad sizes any less than 50 boys and 45 girls is too small (assuming that there will be roughly 35 boys selected and 30 girls for actual teams).

In regards to actual team size breakdown, I'd expect that there'd be around 22-23 for the open/womens teams then probably 12-13 boys and 9-10 girls. That said I don't know if selectors will be factoring things like attempting to rest key players during the tournament for more key games or if they a going to have extras on teams to factor for injuries or if they will be taking more of a minimalist attitude where they'd rather take smaller teams but obviously the teams would be stronger if you consider the weaker couple of players (the last players selected for each team) that would have made the bigger open squad would now be playing for the mixed team which would greatly strengthen the mixed team considering they'd pick up a couple of open and womens players as well as not having 5 - 6 of the weaker players of each sex that might have played otherwise.

I personally normally prefer playing on smaller but stronger teams, but it also depends on the structure of the tournament, and obviously when playing at a Worlds level the difference between the 15th best player and the 20th is a lot smaller as opposed to maybe selecting teams for Nationals or a similar tournament. It would be very interesting to hear the thoughts of some the selectors and influential parties on these sorts of things.

As for who will make the squad, well I haven't been playing long enough to really know enough of the wider Ultimate community to make an informed judgment, but if I was to "guess" who would make it from QLD I'd be expecting John Mac, Pottsy, Piers, Mike Nield, Al Don and Brett (though his name doesn't seems to be on the AFDA list) all to make it, and I'd say all of them have a fair crack at making a team as well. I'm not really expecting anyone else from QLD make a team (myself included) but it would be awesome if a couple of the other QLD boys (myself included) manage to get into the squad so we can join in the training because I imagine that those training sessions alone would be invaluable towards developing the skills of those players in attendance.

Anyway it should be interesting.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
wetnose

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2007, 12:03:26 AM »

Jangles doesnt even get a mention  Cry oh well doesnt suprise me much.

Didn't really suprise anyone else either! lol. just kidding, love u jangles!
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2007, 12:07:37 AM »

I have a vague recollection of there being around 20-21 players on the most recent worlds teams and I could check right now....but I can't be bothered.

I've chatted in bits and pieces with hobbit and greenie about generic selection crap (obviously its been 'don't ask, don't tell' about individuals) and one of the interesting and true things they have said is that its going to be easiest to select the open/women's team than the mixed team. There are heaps and heaps more ppl in contention for the mixed spots and they are also far less obvious than the stars that will make it on to the open/womens teams.

Thats a pretty good list of the Qlders Chris. You should make it to the next cut as well. Its impossible to know what factors are on the minds of the selectors and its unlikely that any of us will have as wide appreciation of the player base as they will. I'm not certain but it seems like there is a decent amount of information sharing going on between the selectors during the tournaments we're all playing and they seem to mention one another from time to time, so I think they'll have a pretty full picture of the player base.

I am really interested to see what they do with the Women's selections, partially because I know less about the player base and the thinking of the selectors. I guess I've a lot of loyalties to many of the younger crop of players and I'm hoping they get on those teams. We'll see...

-Tom
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2007, 03:34:36 AM »

I believe they took 21 players in '04 Tom, but I think a sligthly larger team is in order.  As I understand, Matt Dowle and Sacha Vidler got injured on the pre-tour, and they were left slightly short handed.  Looking over top American and Canadian rosters, they take around 25 +/- 1.  I have talked to pottsy slightly about it, but I think he agrees a few more than last time are in order.  If they take 25 on open and 12 for mixed, does that mean out of the 40 person squad, only 3 people don't make a team?  Is there a definitive size for the squad, or does it depend upon the depth of the players? 

I have heard it is around 40-45, but is this a fact or just what we 'ultitalkers' think it is?  Anyways, I wish everyone luck and back those I mentioned as 'impressive' in a previous post to make the cut, but who really knows (I guess OShep does, hehehe).  Have a good one everyone, PEACE 
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »

When is this squad being picked? I don't know why but I think someone mentioned to me that it was on the 15th of October (today) is that correct?

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2007, 06:37:52 PM »

Squad announcement should happen this week (hopefully today) on afda.com.  As you can imagine, there's plenty of finicking to make sure the list is correct, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese