UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 14, 2020, 08:51:42 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WUGC 2008  (Read 240938 times)
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2007, 07:53:42 PM »

i have 2 womens names on my list but i wont name them till i can confirm it with the selectors. As for piers i believe he is still on the masters list. Has piers started acting his age and is ready for masters??
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »

two? Oh noes, I have grave fears for a pair of box ladies that have been struggling with money and visa issues. I hope its not them Sad (alternatively, I hope that whoever is having problems finds a solution that involved them remaining on the squad for worlds)

Also, I heard that Tania King and Ash Martens have put their names down for mixed only? Is this a careless rumour or is it true? Can anyone confirm?
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2008, 06:07:08 AM »

Okay kids, I'm obviously seriously bored and I can't wait to get some more frisbee into me. Amped for the worlds camps and for the open season.

There is certainly one topic that hasn't much been touched on and that is the topic of the mystery third selector for the mixed team. Now who ever this is will have a profound impact on the sort of mixed team selected and to be honest, will have an impact on my own selection chances. With Nikki covering the girls side of the shop (but obviously having seen/played a lot of mixed with the boys before her ACL injury this year) and Pennoes being a little out of the loop (having only played a couple of tournaments in the last two years) who gets picked for this role is going to be an interesting little outcome of this first training camp in canberra.

Anyone like to have a guess at who is a possible candidate for the role? If you don't have an idea on who is likely to be an option as a mixed selector, who do you think *would* be a good choice, whether they play for the mixed team or not?

Or we can ramble on about possible open/womens dark horses?
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »

Hey Tom

I am equally amped for next weekend

I think JD would make a great Mixed selector.

my_worlds_teams

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2008, 01:11:17 AM »

Is anyone going to have a go at naming the teams?! Hard to do without maybe offending people?

I'd go for...

Open (24)

Handlers (10)
Steve Antonopoulos
Abra Garfield
Brett Matzuka
John McNaughton
David O'Brien
Jonathan Potts
Daniel Rule
Ken Shepherd
Owen Shepherd
Chris Warris

Receivers (14)
Lee Baker
Tim Booth
Anthony Dowle
Matthew Dowle
Peter Gardner
Andrew Glover
Jonathan Holmes
Angus Keenan
Tim Lavis
John Liddicoat
Gavin Moore
Michael Neild
Joel Pillar
Mark Taylor

Mixed (11)

Handlers (5)
Sebastian Barr
John Damiani
Alistair Don
Adam Mortimer
Chris Stephens

Receivers (6)
Peter Blakeley
Stephen Johnson
Brett Middleton
Jonathan Tatham
Thomas Walcott
James Yorston

Couldn't even guess at the girls.
I've gone 24 on Open, but maybe it will only be 22 or 23? Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Tats or Tex get a run in Open

Whaddaya reckon?
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2008, 02:21:44 AM »

I'm sure lots of people have their teams chosen but putting them out in the public domain is a recipe for trouble Smiley

Could comment specifically on your lists but will only do so without naming names (just to let you have a bit more speculation!)...
- I heard rumours that one of the guys in your open team has pulled out
- I believe at least one of the guys in your mixed team only has open as a preference
- don't know the guys well enough but I thought one of the guys you named as a receiver in the open team was a handler

On the women's front I found it pretty easy to pick the first 14 or so but after that I got stuck. I don't envy the selectors.

Alias

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2008, 08:16:28 AM »

OK so the only revisions I think might be made to that team are Pete Gardner would be in as a handler rather than a receiver (as Rachel mentioned), and the rumour spreading around is that Johnny Mac had pulled out, again I think that is who Rachel is referring to. Also I'm not certain but I think Chris Stephens may be opting for Masters if he doesn't make the Open team, and at this stage I probably wouldn't have him in the Open team.

Word is Billy has pulled out, and also has been a lot of speculation as to what is happening with Brett Matzuka? I personally haven't heard any reliable rumours on this front. Maybe Brett himself can fill us in?

Some other minor suggestions I'd make to the Open team is that I think Adam Mortimer and Al Don also have good chances of making the Open team, and I think in the event Brett doesn't make the Open team Adam Mortimer will slip into his place as a D handler.

I also think the Pete Gardner's gap in the receiver line would be filled by Tats or Tex - maybe they both will make it if the Open team takes 25 which isn't unreasonable. I'd also put Paul Denyer down as an outside chance for the Open team and a very good chance for the Mixed.

Here is my prediction:

Open (25)
Handlers (10):
Steve Antonopoulos
Abra Garfield
Brett Matzuka
Al Don
Jonathan Potts
Daniel Rule
Ken Shepherd
Owen Shepherd
Chris Warris
Peter Gardner

Receivers (15)
Lee Baker
Tim Booth
Anthony Dowle
Matthew Dowle
Andrew Glover
Jonathan Holmes
Angus Keenan
Tim Lavis
John Liddicoat
Gavin Moore
Michael Neild
Joel Pillar
Mark Taylor
Jonathan Tatham
Peter Blakeley

Mixed (11)
Handlers (6)
John Damiani
Dave O'Brien
Adam Mortimer
Max Wheeler
Steve Wealands
Warwick Shepperd

Receivers (7)
Paul Denyer
Chris Freise
Brett Middleton
Mark Isherwood
Peter Liddicoat
Stephen Johnson
Thomas Walcott
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »

OK so the only revisions I think might be made to that team are Pete Gardner would be in as a handler rather than a receiver (as Rachel mentioned)

I wasn't referring to Pete Gardner! He would definitely be a receiver in my book. There is someone else *eiry music*

Also think one of your receivers in your mixed team is out of position... (Pete Liddicoat is a handler afaik)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:39:14 PM by rachelg » Logged
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »

I think the mystery player rach refers to is Tim Booth, who does handle normally but is trying out for O receiver instead.

Also, Wealands receives doesn't he?

And yes, P.Liddy is a handler

Yes, JMac has pulled out.

Billy the pimp is out due to illness in the family

Steven's shouldn't be opting out of mixed, can anyone clarify?

Brett M is still trying out but is stuck out of the country for the next couple of months because he is poor.

The mystery poster is a HOS player

I will post what I think will be the open selectors picks soon. Need to rejig after pull outs etc. Note, that is different from the team I would pick to play with myself, I'm just going to model the actual selectors. (Had to go back in time and take acid at 13 to model Greenie, was tough)

-Tom
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »

Also I'm not certain but I think Chris Stephens may be opting for Masters if he doesn't make the Open team, and at this stage I probably wouldn't have him in the Open team

Chris Stephens is definitely still in for Mixed.

Also I suggest that instead of 10 people making new profiles that they never use again, how about "my_worlds_teams" posts their password and everyone can use that profile to post their team?

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2008, 06:57:06 AM »

Here's my guess at the selectors pick. There are a selection of players that fall between the cracks of O/D or H/R and could easily shift but I have arbitrarly jammed them into different places. Note that S instead of O/D denotes a stud player that will have an evenish O/D split. Brett should play as a SH but I doubt that will be recognised.

Dingos

Angus Keenan OR
Tim Lavis OR
Tim Booth OR
Gavin Moore OR
John Liddicoat OR

Chris Warris OH
David O'Brien OH
Jonathan Potts OH
Daniel Rule OH

Jonathan Tatham DR
Michael Neild DR
Joel Pillar DR
Peter Gardner DR
Jonathan Holmes DR
Mark Taylor DR
Lee Baker DR

Owen Shepherd DH
Adam Mortimer DH
Brett Matzuka DH
Abra Garfield DH
Ken Shepherd DH

Anthony Dowle SR
Matthew Dowle SR

Of course, I am very interested to see how this team goes without the Gak. From my understanding, he obviously has been a huge impact player in dingos games in the past but clammed up a bit in the last big game/s in Finland. I think his clamming up difficulties have been solved, with world games and three nationals under his belt..... but now worlds doesn't seem to hold much appeal for Gak.

I can't wait to see how inaccurate I am on tuesday Smiley

PS: The edit is just to note that Wazza is trying out for a receiver position not a handler position.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:05:03 AM by littletom » Logged
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH, you are funny Tom.  I thank you for talking me up, but I am by no means a SH.  I am too much of a risk taker to ever play O, but you flatter me by thinking I can play O, so thanks.

Also, a few things I found interesting.  Pottsy and Warris are on your O line, Ken Shepard is on your D line, and Mike Nield is not a SR?  As I understand, Chris Warris was D captain in '04, though maybe he has changed to offense, I don't know.  Pottsy is anti-offense from what I know, and Ken Shepard is a Offensive handler.  To finish, Mike Nield has his own church in Brisbane because of his ability to play both sides of the disc, so keep that in mind.

As for Brett himself (who obviously speaks in third person), he is stuck in the US for a little bit as his family has been having major financial issues.  The real estate market is the worst it has ever been in US history, worse than the Great Depression.  So, he is still trying out but was unable to make the camp due to these fiscal concerns.  However, he is playing with local teams and has been training hard with weights, conditioning and plyos.  And lastly, Brett will be playing kaimana in Hawaii with a group of the sockeye guys and Bravo guys, so will have a chance to scout the opposition, though most of them are going to dream cup in Japan, so that would be a great chance for the Dingos to rate the opposition.  Anyways, has been great to hear all the great things about the camp and excited to see who is lucky enough to get to represent Australia.  Good luck to everyone and I hope all is well over there, farewell

taconight

United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

As for Brett himself (who obviously speaks in third person)

I'm Brett and I'm a huuuggee tool who loves the US!
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2008, 04:47:04 PM »

I'm curious to know what exactly Hobbit is going to do for the dingos. I've only played with him as a O-handler on deathstar and otherwise I've just seen him play as a SH. Plus I have to put the oldies somewhere, OH seems the natural fallback for the veteran players Wink Pottsy was certainly anti-offence in the young VS old game on the weekend. He was very generously keeping the young'uns in the game after we lost our cool in the middle of the game. And yeah, I largely wasn't thinking very hard about kenny and confused him with his brother... oopsies!

You being a SH was on the provision that you benched yourself if you're not having a good game Tongue

Mikey's a fucking great player but I'm not yet upgrading him to an SR. Partially because its likely to be a fairly big team but also he just needs a bit more in my mind. Don't worry, I'm sure he'll get to SR for the dingos before I do Wink

Dream cup would be sick but its the same weekend as regionals her in AU, so that has pretty much been the death of any organised effort to get there.

shoggy

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »

team announced today - Australia day  Wink

Steve Antonopoulos (NSW)
Tim Booth (NSW)
Paul Denyer (WA)
Anthony Dowle (NSW)
Matthew Dowle (NSW)
Peter Gardner (NSW)
Abra Garfield (NSW)
Andrew Glover (NSW)
Jonathan Holmes (ACT)
Angus Keenan (NSW)
Tim Lavis (NSW)
John Liddicoat (VIC)
Brett Matzuka (QLD)
Gavin Moore (NSW)
Michael Neild (QLD)
David O'Brien (NSW)
Joel Pillar (SA)
Jonathan Potts (NSW)
Daniel Rule (VIC)
Ken Shepherd (NSW)
Owen Shepherd (VIC)
Jonathan Tatham (NSW)
Mark Taylor (NSW)
Chris Warris (NSW)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese