UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. August 15, 2020, 01:48:41 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tweak it out. Customize the look and feel of UltiTalk by changing your Theme Settings.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WUGC 2008  (Read 244735 times)
mattdowle
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2008, 12:29:04 AM »

Tom, I think you might find that the young have won many games in the past and fairly recently, maybe even more than old. However, happy to be corrected.
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:59 AM »

Chris, why did you pull out?!?!?!!?

I know you read this, at least e-mail me or facebook me brother, you know I love you  Wink
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2008, 06:24:40 AM »

I know you read this, at least e-mail me or facebook me brother, you know I love you  Wink

Chris has confessed in a comment over on the Brisbane Ultimate Blog - http://brisbaneultimatedisc.blogspot.com/2008/01/and-it-became-magically-fertile.html

I'll get you to go over there, rather than repeat here, because the Blog would love the traffic.

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2008, 08:17:59 AM »

Well Al Don said that it was only the second time he'd seen it at a training camp since 2000... Perhaps there are worlds training camps that you have gone to that he hasn't? The old VS young for the dingos would be a entirely different matter to the old VS young for the whole squad. I shifted from being in the middle of the young un's to one of the oldest at the mixed camp, cut off was early '84s I believe

Would that make sense?

-Tom
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »

Sorry about the late response I hadn't checked UltiTalk in awhile -I just sent you a fairly length PM about why I pulled out.

As for everyone else the shorter summation is... I was just a little worn out and I hadn't had a real break (longer than a couple of week) from Ultimate since I started (2005).

I was tossing the decision up from New Years to the first training camp a lot, but I'd already bought tickets to both so I just figured I'd go to the first one and just see how I felt. I pretty much got there and just had an Adam Gilchrist moment. I just knew it was time to take a break. I played like a dog all weekend dropped a couple of catches, but more importantly I attacked the disc poorly, didn't layout once when I had probably 3 or 4 deadset D's if I left my feet - same applied on O. Long story short my heart wasn't in it from the first game and I knew after the first day of training camp that I couldn't commit the next 6 months to something I was 100% into.

So with after a brief chat to JMac during the training camp he told me not to do the jerk thing of wait to not be selected (which was my initial plan) rather that I should inform the selectors ASAP so I don't waste their time. Ahhh Johnny... you can always count on him to give the honourable advice!

So at this stage I'm just planning to play Nationals this year and probably take a break for the rest of the high level Ultimate.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:33:24 AM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »

So, who made the Mundies?

rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2008, 06:40:07 AM »

2008 Mixed Team Announced

Dear All,

On behalf of the AFDA, the Mixed Selectors would like to announce the Australian Mixed team, the Barramundis, who will compete at the 2008 World Ultimate Championships in Vancouver in August.

All the people involved in this process have contributed greatly to the future success of the Barramundis in 2008, from the volunteers at the selection camps through to everyone who applied for selection on the team. Thank you.

There will be many more opportunities to continue to support the Barramundis and the other Australian teams in the coming six months, we encourage you to take up those opportunities and be a part of their success in Vancouver.

The 2008 Barramundis are:

Women:
Rebecca Carmen (NSW)
Mel Gangemi (VIC)
Laina Hall (ACT)
Leanne King (ACT)
Cath Matthews (VIC)
Gaby Melo (NSW)
Kristen Nott (QLD)
Vickie Saye (ACT)
Lucy Stevenson (ACT)
Andrea Wang (NSW)

Men:
Lee Baker (VIC)
Sebastian Barr (VIC)
Peter Blakeley (NSW)
John Damiani (WA)
Alistair Don (QLD)
Chris Freise (VIC)
Brett Middleton (SA)
Adam Mortimer (ACT)
Warwick Shepherd (NSW)
Steve Wealands (VIC)
Max Wheeler (ACT)
Huy Vu (SA)
James Yorston (NSW)

This makes for a squad of 23 excellent players.

Needless to say, this was one of the hardest teams to select with serious quality players missing out on the team due to the high standard currently in Australian Ultimate. We have every confidence those selected on the team will represent Australia at the highest level with commitment and spirit.

Big congratulations to all those who made the team, and best wishes as you carry the mixed flag for Australia at World Championships. The World Championships will run August 2-9 in Vancouver, Canada.
Australian Mixed Team Selectors 2008
Nikki Shires
Vickie Saye
Adam Mortimer
John Damiani
Andrew Pennington

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2008, 08:39:25 AM »

There's a lot of names I'm not familiar with on the women's list, but I'd harbor a guess at Lou, The Gange, KP and Lucy S making it.

As for the boys...
- Lee Baker
- Mike Baker
- Sebastian Barr
- Rueben Berg
- John Damiani
- Alistair Don
- Mark Isherwood
- Adam Mortimer
- Warwick Shepherd
- Chris Stephens
- Steve Wealands
- Max Wheeler

Women:
Rebecca Carmen (NSW)
Mel Gangemi (VIC)
Laina Hall (ACT)
Leanne King (ACT)
Cath Matthews (VIC)
Gaby Melo (NSW)
Kristen Nott (QLD)
Vickie Saye (ACT)
Lucy Stevenson (ACT)
Andrea Wang (NSW)

Men:
Lee Baker (VIC)
Sebastian Barr (VIC)
Peter Blakeley (NSW)
John Damiani (WA)
Alistair Don (QLD)
Chris Freise (VIC)
Brett Middleton (SA)
Adam Mortimer (ACT)
Warwick Shepherd (NSW)
Steve Wealands (VIC)
Max Wheeler (ACT)
Huy Vu (SA)
James Yorston (NSW)
Wow. I'm not very good at this game   Embarrassed

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2008, 06:07:26 AM »

I like Simmo don't know a whole lot about the ladies, but on the boys side it looks like there isn't a whole lot of height, but there is definitely a few guys that make up for it with speed. Now that the men's, women's and mixed teams are selected I'm really keen to see how Australia stacks up in each division and to see if we can hold/improve on our current world ranking!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:48:20 PM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »

I'm a little surprise that a few of the girls made it over Isobel. And perhaps the selectors are picking a short fast team because it suits their style of play? (short and fast)

Good luck to all the teams! Looking forward to hearing the juniors and masters teams now

-Tom
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2008, 09:36:40 PM »

Good luck to all the teams! Looking forward to hearing the juniors and masters teams now

Juniors was the first to be announced. It's still on the AFDA front page.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »

Juniors was the first to be announced. It's still on the AFDA front page.

That's the squad. I think he meant the Team.

Do you know when that will be finalised?

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »

From my vague memories of chatting with my brother, the Juniors selection camp isn't until March I believe, so I'm assuming late March will roughly be about the time the Juniors team is named.

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
cupcake

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2008, 01:46:57 AM »

indeed the end of march is the set time for the announcement of the juniours teams. 29th and 30th are the dates of the training camp. from memory is that the dates for a training camp for the open/girls/mixed teams aswell??? should be exciting!

cupcake

that was in - tents
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2008, 08:12:46 PM »

On behalf of the AFDA, the Masters Selectors would like to announce the
Australian Masters Team, the
Taipans, who will compete at the 2008 World Ultimate Championships in
Vancouver in August.
The names listed below form the majority of the Australian Masters Team
with a few remaining spots being determined over the next few weeks. The
reason for the delay in announcing the last few spots is to ensure that
we allow a final group of squad members a proper chance to display their
ability at or near 100% fitness.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in this process and
stress how impressed we have been with the quality of players available
for selection at the Masters level. This made selections very difficult
and our appreciation goes out to the AFDA Board for their guidance and
patience throughout the selection process.

This is a very experienced and talented list of players with the
potential to succeed in Vancouver and we encourage you to support all
the Australian Representative Teams in their bid to medal at the
World Championships.

The initial group of players comprising the 2008 Australian Masters
(Taipans) are:

1. Charles Blumer
2. Tom Brennan
3. Chris Burwell
4. Steve Campbell
5. Nathan Chan
6. Geoff Doty
7. John Greenfield
8. Duncan McIntosh
9. Jens Meyer
10. Declan Moore
11. Andrew Morris
12. Brian Petteys
13. Mat Ryan
14. Anthony Solomon
15. Piers Truter
16. Craig Turnbull
17. Sacha Vidler
18. David Zuk

We look forward to announcing the remaining spots in the near future and
congratulate those listed above on their selection to the Australian
Masters Team.

Cheers
The Masters Selectors
(Jens Meyer, Andrew Stanley and Steve Campbell)

------------------------
Great lineup. Not sure why they've named themselves after one of the original Gladiators though.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese