UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 14, 2020, 02:39:19 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
RSD syndicated. North American UT posts are syndicated on the newsgroup Rec.Sport.Disc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WUGC 2008  (Read 240844 times)
luweekoh

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2008, 01:42:42 AM »

phil white with 10 assists!!!
shoggy

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2008, 02:39:42 AM »

I think the stats are all over the place. At one point they said Mama threw a goal to herself Smiley.

Aussie worlds first callahan actually Smiley yeah mama.

the canada v japan game was a balltearer. japan lost from 15-11 up. double match point, canada on d, pull lands one yard in from back of endzone, slides out. then a first pass layout block by kevin (#4). huge!! 33 points played for total of 33 turnovers, it was a great game to watch.

yeah, sweet as was gimping it up, we simply had to get him out there though. JD is looking iffy, but will play at some point (has played with a torn calf before) despite the fact he'll prolly tear it worse. he'll live.  terra are the aussie team of the tourney though, they had a mammoth cheer squad v usa today. outside of beach worlds, the first aussie team to beat USA in international competition. anyway, past my bedtime, gotta run.

'mundis blog is rolling, check it out - barramundis2008.blogspot.com
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »

Man how nice are the Aussie Jnr girls going!!! Downing Canada and USA! I'd be interested it to hear how they would fancy their chances in a rematch against Japan...?

I guess the opposite if true for the Junior Boys, who seem to be getting pumped at the moment... Sad

Big day is coming up for the Dingoes with GB and Colombia... should both be reasonably tight games... I'd be awesome if they can wrap up #1 spot in their group.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Joe - Barefoot

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »

Thunder are having a big day. Could be pivotal for them.

They've beaten Canada 15-12. Impressive.
And a re now locked in a close battler with Japan.

A win could open it right up for them.
Tanty

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »

At risk of opening the proverbial can of worms I've been asked by TG to defend the acomplishments ("set people straight" is his words and not mine) of our Beach Worlds boys. Given he's a fringe "lurker" of Ultitalk and therefore hasn't registered yet he wanted me to reiterate that the "Beach Boys" (although he may not have called them so) were the first Aussie team to beat the US on the "world stage" and that they did also get a gold medal. Not that what the Junior girls did isn't buckets of awesome, he just wanted a voice to defend the Beach Boys...
He also felt it necessary to point out that yes callahans are cool, especially at Worlds... just like the callahan he got at Beach Worlds...

But as an aside it looks like all the boys and girls are making us very proud. I'm very impressed with Sweet As' 3 gimp goals, Megan playing with a broken hand is pretty cool too... So love, hugs and kisses to them all... except Tiger, you can't be to affectionate to him. More a sense of mild amusement coupled with the fear that if you're to nice he might follow you home like a stray puppy....

Love, Hugs and Kisses
ANt

No sign of a point yet...
The Brucemaster

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2008, 07:46:33 PM »

Thunder 16 - Japan 11. Hell yeah Thunder!!! Sounds like they had an epic match: 1h 50m!! White now has 16 assists!!

Random aside, can anyone explain what soft-cap is?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 05, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »

Soft cap = time cap. Happens at 100min. I think it's add two to the highest score and play to that.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »

Top 6 in Open is sorted - Canada, Sweden, Japan, USA, Australia and Great Britain. One win in the next phase will guarantee a quarter final berth.

Firetails still have Mexico to play tomorrow. Most likely play Canada in the next phase. Quarter finals spot sealed.

Mundis through to top 6 pool (with Japan, Canada, Great Britain, Germany and USA). Provided Germany don't smash Japan and Canada, a win in this Pool (they play Japan, Canada and GB) should be enough for a semis spot.

Taipans have four to go - US (2nd), Venezuela (10th), Canada (3rd) and New Zealand (6th). One win is enough to secure a semis spot.

Thunder have GB and Germany to play - they'll finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th, meaning they'll be in the semi play-ins.

Terra are in the top 3 pool. Semis spot guaranteed.

Joe - Barefoot

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »

I don't get the new pools currently up in the Open standings.
May be they need updating.

US chumped Japan a little: 17-11.
Impressive.
JMc
« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure the new pools are right... Open had some kind of funky draw...
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: August 05, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »

It's interesting that there are still no upsets in Open. We'll see how that pans out in the quarters.
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 05, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »

Ahh yes now the Open pools make sense. When I last looked GB was in that bottom pool (division 2), that didn't make sense, but it appears to be rectified.

I don't want to be a captain bringdown, but is anyone else a little frustrated at the lack of media coverage of this tournament? At the moment it seems we are relying on score updates, blog posts, and PissyMatic updates on good old Ultitalk. What gives? Not to denigrate these fine sources of information, but this is roughly the same coverage that we get for Aussie Nationals (I even got scores sent to me via sms at the last nationals - TECH!).

IIRC, UPA Nationals always have these massive write ups on their website after each day, on all the games. If they can do it for their national champioships surely we could do something similar for this tournament, considering it is WORLDS and there are plenty of frisbee nerds around the world clicking refresh every 5 minutes to see what the scores are doing.

I did have a look at the daily newsletter, it ain't bad but it's not really scratching my itch.

/rant

PS. Go Aussies.
richie

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: August 06, 2008, 01:24:24 AM »

Media coverage blows. Blockstack TV is the only vision I've seen, and bugger all Aussie stuff on that. Next worlds, we should send someone to cover it. Photos/videos and a report each night. I volunteer Smiley.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 06, 2008, 01:33:16 AM »

Match Diesel (http://matchdiesel.blogspot.com) is there and he usually does good write ups of tournaments (UPA Nationals, College Nationals), but from what I've seen elsewhere he spent most of the last two days drunk.

As Seppo laments up the top there in the chat box, there's no local media coverage. I was hunting around the Vancouver Sun, Global BC and CTV BC websites for a mention of ultimate, but there's nothing. On the upside I now know what Brett Farve has for breakfast (oatmeal, sometimes with honey). Bit ordinary. I remember World Clubs being on ABC, 6PR, Nova, the Perth-equivalent of the Sunday Herald Sun (forget the name) and there was a TV crew there but I don't know what channel they were from.

-edit- Oh yeah, Blockstack. Their podcasts have been brilliant. You can read all the blogs you want, but those 10 minute videos are the only thing giving you a sense of the atmosphere there.

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 06, 2008, 01:49:11 AM »

It's interesting that there are still no upsets in Open. We'll see how that pans out in the quarters.
Venezuela defeating Colombia
Colombia defeated Germany
New Zealand smashing Dutchland

Obviously not the top 6, but it's resulted in 3 of the bottom 5 seeds being in contention for quarters.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese