UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. May 25, 2020, 11:39:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Trying To Start A Team?!?!  (Read 18667 times)
gaftromm

United States United States

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »

i'm trying to start an ultimate team at my school and i need tips on how to convince people to play. most people still think its stupid.

also i found that there isn't any ultimate around. the nearest tournaments and games are about an hour away.

is this how far most teams have to travel for games?

or is it just not worth it?
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »

Hey gaftromm,

Ultimate is definitely worth it.  Stick with it and you will meet some of your best friends for life.

As for tips, why don't you buy an Ultimate DVD and watch it with your friends.  Any of the UltiVillage DVDs are sensational, and really show Ultimate in a "cool" light.  There are plenty to see on the following link:

http://www.playulty.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

It's tough when the closest Ultimate to you is an hour away.  But get your friends to play and word will spread that there is a cool new game being played in the area.  Like the saying from "Field of Dreams" ... "If you build it, they will come."  Wink

Go for it mate.  And good luck!

Cheers!

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »

Its definitely worth trying to form a team. With the closest ultimate and hr away it will be hard to sustain numbers in order to play. I would just try to get enough people going so that you could play mini with 3's or 4's consistently and hopefully that will draw some interest and help you build. The HS I help coach at has to go over an hr to find another HS to play and it hasn't stopped them from being really good and winning a state championship. Where are you at?
evanhp

The Rock-Rockford, IL 2009

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:59:47 PM »

Keep it up, make it consistant. Pick a day to play and keep doing it. No matter the numbers. 3s,4s, 5s, 2s.
Theres games and things to play for any number of players. So dont just say ok, well lets go home if only 4 people show up, throw around, make up games, look up games from the web.

The closest tourneys to me have always been 2 hours minimum. Its definitely worth it.
Send emails to the Ultimate people close to you in that next town, tell them your story, and they will help you out.
Start picking up with them as much as you can. Try to meet halfway somewhere and play games. If they have a consistent following they should be willing to drive to you on occasion.

Tell your friends that a "team" from another town is coming to play a scrimmage and people will start to get excited about it.

But its true, show them some youtube videos or DVD first and get them pumped up.

My personal favorite is Above and Beyond http://www.ultimatefrisbeevideo.com/
Its older but the quality of presentation on that video is much more entertaining than any UltiVillage DVD I've seen,personally (havent checked out the new Club one yet).

It also has good introductions to Ultimate and how to play and such. Great highlight clips and great stories.

Good luck, yes where are you located?

-Promoting Ultimate in the Midwest-Ozarks
www.UPOz.org
Pepper

Netherlands Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:15:01 AM »

Ultimate is definately worth it and showing any of the videos the other posters have recommended will indeed show ultimate in a good light.

As for traveling an hour, that might be a lot for 1 match, but for a tournament I think it is pretty good. Here in the Netherlands we usually travel way more for tournaments (since they're across Europe and all).

If you don't get many people to show up, there are a multitude of games that you can play that will use the same skills as ultimate such as hotbox, mini, stick or if you like a fun exercise, a mack line.

Consistency is key and I have found that just having a regular day of ultimate is good to get numbers. Just have people show up and play games, pickup style. Good luck on forming your team/club!

Want to win? Want to improve your distance, accuracy and effictiveness throwing a frisbee disc? - Visit www.howtothrowlikeapro.com!
huanga1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »

If you really love Ultimate, then you should definitely start a team.

Ultimate Frisbee in the Philippines started with one woman, a disc, and a passion. She would drag whoever she could find to go toss. Eventually she had enough people for pickup, and then a team formed. She left the country but came back a few years later to find a large and thriving Ultimate community that was over 400 strong. There are now over 20 teams in the metro Manila region alone, and the sport is rapidly spreading to other cities around the country.

So yea, you can definitely start a team in your school. A big part of convincing other people is how genuinely enthusiastic you are about it. Also helps if you show them some great videos of what Ultimate really is. I collected a few that I think will do the trick.

These are high quality matches between top club teams.

http://thebestten.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/the-best-10-clips-of-ultimate-frisbee-tournament-games/

Good luck!

Pepper

Netherlands Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:47:43 AM »

Definately check that link, I just read that post and it is a great watch. Takes you about 30 minutes to watch all the clips though Smiley

Want to win? Want to improve your distance, accuracy and effictiveness throwing a frisbee disc? - Visit www.howtothrowlikeapro.com!
ehsultimate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »

My former gym teacher was they key for me. He used to be my baseball coach so that helped also. I asked if he played it in gym classes and he said yes and I asked if I could come in and teach and help and he said yes. I also asked the school if I could set up a table during lunch. I was in 3 classes for 2 days and at lunch for 2 days and got 41people to sign up. A lot didnt know about the sport but I got 10 to show up the first day and they all said they enjoyed it and came back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese