UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 16, 2019, 07:59:07 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Subscribe to our RSS feeds. Click the next to the board of your choice.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 World Ultimate Beach Championships  (Read 23048 times)
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2007, 08:22:36 AM »

So, we have a topic about the WUGC 2008 in Vancouver, why not a 2007 WUBC in Brazil thread? 
Pottsy and I have been working together on this and are looking for more interest!  If you are interested in representing Australia and love the ocean, the beach, and ultimate frisbee, this is perfect for you!  We are still looking for expressions of interest for 2-3 more weeks and will be moving on from there to get selectors and have teams picked by early August.  We are hoping to get enough for 3 teams, Mixed, Open, Womens, but currently only have enough interest for an Open and Womens or Mixed depending on the level of committment of the current interested.  We would like to take teams of 12-14 and are looking for people to come represent Australia on the Beaufitul beaches of Brazil.  There are currently 51 countries interested and have confirmed that the USA and UK will be sending top teams to represent, so it will be very competitive.  This is a Worlds event and therefore will only happen every 4 years, so don't miss this opportunity.  It will be a great experience and a chance for up-and-commers to step up and earn a stop and gain major experience quickly. 

I would love to see what peoples thoughts are on this, so please post away!!! 
Drag

Australia Australia

oh o

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 12:01:14 AM »

i have already registered for it, and think that it will be an awesome event. I live on the beach and play regularly so when i saw the link i was automatically drawn to it, that and the fact that i am going to New York at the end of the year, brazil is closer then here, and who would miss out on that chance.

Quick question, when and where will selection be and when and where will training be??

Do you know the costs involved, I have already looked at planes prices so i was juts wondering bout other expenses, ie getting into the team, registration, accomodatuion, etc.

D

Reflection is noblest. Imitation is easiest. Experience is bitterest.
woodley#53

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:07:50 AM »

i would love to play beach ultimate, but the cost is just out of the question for me.  i already have eleven tournaments to attend this year.  If i get a job as soon as i finish uni then it may be an option, but who knows?
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:54:30 AM »

OK Bretty - just for you mate I upgraded from the "Very Interested" category to the "Would Definitely Go If Selected" but you know this will mean that you might have to train with me a bit more and potentially play with me in games... can you handle any more of that?

...so be careful for what you wish for.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 11:48:46 AM »

Hey Bretty,

Yeah I'm keen to be involved in some way, shape or form. Same as most people, cash would be the main problem, but regardless I'd love to do whatever I can to get our boys and girls to spank some yank ass. What's the go from here? I'd love to see your cocky ass on the field when im ON your team rather than telling myself to layout on you at every chance and yelling "TOO EASY!". haha. You seem pretty keen dude, you planning to tryout for Vancouver? I'd say you have a bid on it for sure.

Cheers,

p.s. drunk whilst posting

Moz.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:42:45 PM »

If Andy's in, then I'm out.

Actually I'd probably go if Andy does. The chance to heckle him to the point where I break his spirit on a world stage is too good to pass up.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:44:01 PM »

If you are curious what is going on, here is the most recent e-mail on the topic:

Hi Brazil nuts,

Well, we've got a good amount of interest, in summary:
16 men
16 women
32 mixed (which I think are just the combination of the other two)
1 master :-(

So at the moment it looks like the best thing to aim for is a Men's team and a Women's team.  I'll repeat the call for interest and give people another few weeks to decide, but in the meantime we'll start making plans to select the teams and gather some information.

Also, I've started up a mailing list to make distributing information  and enthusiastic banter easier.  To join, send an email to:
[email protected]

I also have a bit more info on airfares, let me know if you have anything.  Anyone interested in a bit of round-the-world adventures let me know.  I reckon we could also take in some other frisbee in North America or Europe, or the Asia-Pacific champs in Taiwan if they end up happening.

Also BULA's told me that an official website is coming soon, so look out for that.

In terms of selections, although we don't have a huge amount of interest above optimal team size at the moment, I think we still need to appoint some selectors at this stage to run the show.  Let me know if you're interested.  There will be a formal application process announced soon.

Also, I have information from the UK that they are planning to send pretty strong teams, and USA and Canada will no doubt be pretty strong, so there will be some competition out there.

And looking over our player lists, I reckon we'll have pretty strong men's and women's teams, so it should be a fun time on and off the field.

OK, more info coming soon.  Don't forget to join the mailing list NOW:
[email protected]

Also, talk it up a bit with your friends and see if we can't generate some more excitement out there: I'm confident it will be an event not to be missed if you have a bit of spare cash.

- Pottsy

So e-mail [email protected] to be in the loop on the topic.  It seems we will have enough for the 3 teams if most people committ.  The timeline is being drafted at the moment by Pottsy and me; we seem to be giving 2-3 more weeks to give people the chance to show interest, then we will be selecting selectors, and from there the team will be picked by early August.  As of now, there is no official try out but the NTC will be used if most people who are interested are there.  So far, there is no formal training planned as a full team, but can get into that more when a team is picked.

Hope that helps, good luck and think about it!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 01:03:54 AM »

We got some sort of guestimate at the cost? I'd consider coming in some sort of support role. Dunno about playing...my range of movement on stable ground is questionable at best - I don't even want to think about sand.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »

I have heard the figure $4,000 - $5,000 thrown around. I'm personally figuring that if I actually make the team and end up going I will do a bit of cruising around in South America and the States, catch up with some of the Yanks I have meet through Frisbee, do a bit of surfing and site seeing. I was actually thinking that I might actually stay there until Kiamana and see if I can get in on a team on the way back to Oz.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:39:56 AM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 01:39:16 AM »

anyone wanna sponsor me to go then ill go. love the sand make other people even slower than normal.
Drag

Australia Australia

oh o

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 12:13:28 AM »

Yeah sponsorship would be great, wish that was possible. Anyone related to paker or fox, lol, scrounge of them poor bastards lol.

Reflection is noblest. Imitation is easiest. Experience is bitterest.
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 08:41:43 AM »

anyone wanna sponsor me to go then ill go. love the sand make other people even slower than normal.

We get the jist that you think you're quick, but didn't you get smashed by Troy Booth in the Doolio?
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »

We get the jist that you think you're quick, but didn't you get smashed by Troy Booth in the Doolio?
I think they should both consider themselves lucky that I didn't partake. Luckily for them I had already had a couple of drinks through the women's and first half the men's final, and I have issues with running in straight lines and falling over after a few...  Roll Eyes

Though I stand by the notion that if they put toilets at the end of the endzones and two half pints into the final I would have beat any man or Wood* to the other end! I'm quick when I need to be...

But this topic isn't about how UQ and B Town is better than QUT it's about WUBC in Brazil - and I for one am keen to hit up some Brazilian beaches and apply some of my "bolting for the toilet" skills (though I'm sure I will settle for "bolting for the ocean" to relieve the bladder - and don't give me that "oh my god you piss in the ocean" crap - I know you do it too!).

Grin

*There are wicked rumours floating around that he's a kneepad wearing woman so I didn't want to refer to him as a man... I'm waiting from confirmation from reliable sources.

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
woodley#53

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 12:03:38 AM »

After not getting on the net for a week, i have returned to ultitalk to realise that chris and moz have been punishing my arse.

the kneepad call is soo sweet, i am just going to cop it.  But chris you must realise that i do look like a chump on the field with those kneepads but once i get off, no one is the wiser about my kneepad wearing ways.  Whereas you still look like a chump on and off the field because you have a rats tail mate.  in other words you have an "ARSEHOLE HAIRCUT", so whether your on or off the field you still look like a hobo no matter what.
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 08:27:20 PM »

It shouldn't be as much as $4000?

Airfare would only be $2500 max, tournament entry will be around ~$300 maybe. Surely you can stay in Brazil fairly cheap for a few weeks?

But that is still a little too much for me.....

-Tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese