UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 20, 2019, 12:01:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Subscribe to our RSS feeds. Click the next to the board of your choice.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: handling in a ho-stack?  (Read 5595 times)
nawshus35

United States United States

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:13:37 AM »

im a handler, and usually my team plays a vert stack, so ive gotten used to handling in that offense.

the few times we go horizontal, though, im a bit lost, particularly on dump cuts. as a handler without the disc, when the stall count gets high, where do i go for a dump? in a 3-handler hostack, which one of us gets the dump? if the first dump cut gets cut off, where does the next one come from?
rrudnic

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »

You only have two places you can go, up line aka strike cut, fire cut, etc, a cut that gains yards; or back line, this is what i'm calling the opposite cut toward your opponents endzone, a cut that loses yards.

There are generally only two situations that can occur disc is on a sideline or disc is in the middle.

Sideline: The middle handler should shift over closer to the sideline as the count gets higher then make a hard fake and cut. As the first dump option I prefer to try and gain a couple yards so I tend to go with a hard fake back and then the up line cut, however you should be observing your defender and his positioning and make the cut that will get him out of position the most. Meanwhile the far side handler should have shifted over toward the middle preparing himself to become the second dump option should the first fail, this also sets up the chance for a quick swing off the first dump. As the second dump I tend to make the fake upline and cut to the back line.

Middle: This is my general preference being right handed I think for lefties it would probably be reversed. If I am in the middle with the disc with a normal flick force the first dump I will look for is from the handler to my left or break side. He can make either a fake back and an up line/field cut which I should be able to hit with an easy force side flick or a fake up and cut back into the space behind me which I can drop an easy high release or soft backhand into. Again I prefer the up line/field cut first. If that doesnt work then I would look for the handler to my right to make one of those two cuts, preferably the cut to the back field which I can hit with an easy flick.

Those are my general expectations when I'm handling but that is sort of general practie for our team too. I think each teams handlers need to work together and try to learn what works for them and what cuts they prefer. Hope this helps.
ash_5
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:03:38 AM »

if the disc in the in the middle, i feel its all about the communication between the other 2 handlers to sort out whos the dump. most times i find that it'll be the open side handler; but each team has its own system it works with
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese