UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 21, 2019, 11:57:02 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
RSD syndicated. North American UT posts are syndicated on the newsgroup Rec.Sport.Disc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 6 vs 6 zone defense  (Read 6646 times)
jrc21

Canada Canada

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »

hey

im playing in a 6v6 tournament in the near future. just wondering if any of you have any experience using a zone defense in this situation. i cant decide what the best way to modify the standard 3-3-1 zone for 6 players would be. my biggest concern obviously is the swing pass and letting the offense get flow and having our cup playing catch-up. any thoughts?

regards,
justin.
canis216

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:23:59 PM »

I've used a 6-man zone before in a pick-up game, but it was kind of crummy, seeing as how this was a St. George, Utah pick-up. Swilly. We got away with the bad Z by virtue of the poor handling of others. Still, I'll tell you what we ran: 2-person cup (force middle, I think), 2 wings, 1 short-deep, 1 monster. Later on the day we got reduced to 5 (vs. 6) and I switched us to a clam of sorts. In fact, you might actually be better off with a junk defense than a true zone in this situation.
jrc21

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »

junk actually sounds like a good idea, cover their backfield and then maybe have someone poaching into the passing lane with the rest spread out behind depending on how the offense is set up.
thanks for the input.
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »

My suggestion is 3-2-1
alexb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »

I think you can either go two ways either the 3-2-1 or the 1-3-2 depending on what your team composition looks like. I know our school team sometime ends up with 6 on 6 pickup and we are blessed with a extremely conditioned hustling player. When he is on our team I find the best defense to be the 1-3-2 because since he is able to usually keep up with the disc we can use the rest of our team to fend off any real up field throws.
The 3-2-1 is pretty standard, of course you have to worry about the swing pass but thats with any cup zone. You just need to make sure you are containing the disc behind your first or second line. With the cup our team sometimes would force to the middle, almost elimating the swing, but this will require strong play from your mids. You will also want to make sure you have a stud deep defender since hes back there alone and since forcing middle might open up a deep throw.
I would just try to think about how your team will play and pick one based on what you have. Besides I think thinking about ultimate is almost as fun as playing ultimate!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese