UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 20, 2019, 01:53:03 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Facebook Connect! UltiTalk is now connected to Facebook for added social networking features.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed Nats 07  (Read 57029 times)
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 08:26:35 PM »

Well I suppose another tricky problem here in ACT is that our 'club' sides do their own thing and there isn't any selection process, its still the cliques mashing together their teams. A few of us proposed that we run proper selections and training for mixed nationals and got no response. Soon after we found out that this no response was because other teams were already grabbing players and then we went crazy and formed our own team. I doubt there will be any selections and therefore, A/B teams or even X/Y teams coming out of Canberra for the years to come but i suppose things might change.

Nevertheless, if ACTUA actually had the power to determine a qualification process, then I imagine some of these other teams would object and try to circumvent it...hmmm not sure

-Tom
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 09:57:43 PM »

There is also a thought that in the future (perhaps not this year due to closeness of dates), that a State may allocate a slot to their best Uni team.
Why would a states top uni teams be given a free ride to Mixed Nats? I'd imagine that a AUG team would only a fraction of its strength when you consider that many players wouldn't be able to afford to attend due to closeness of the competition and the fact that many members of top AUG teams often play for other Mixed teams. Shouldn't Uni teams have to qualify throw the same process as everyone else. 

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »

Is it possible to give some thought to allocating slots per region/state based purely on regional attendance? This would only apply to the states/regions vying for more than 1 slot of course.

All our leagues are run in a Mixed 4-3 format yet the Mixed season, in terms of non-Uni clubs, doesn't seem to generate anywhere near as much interest as the Open/Women's seasons.

This would encourage more people to form clubs and compete in whatever Mixed Nats qualifiers are organised by the State Association.

JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 03:04:50 AM »

Back again.

Yes, I think Tom's picked up that it gives power to local associations (in determining how people get to go to Mixed Nats), but also (to paraphrase Spider-man) it gives them responsibility (to propose a system their local members feel is reasonable).

A thought on one of Tom's earlier points - could teams go interstate to gain a slot.  This might be desirable as the third best team in a region with two slots, might be better than the fifth best team in another region with five slots.  This might help manage the strength over time issue (stronger regions may go out and pinch slots from elsewhere).  But its hard to manage, particularly in the next 2-3 years while the qualification system is developing.  Maybe something to try to return to down the track.

For Chris - the Uni thing is probably a poor idea, but I wanted to put it out there that the local association may do all sorts of things depending on what its local goals are.  I haven't followed it closely, but it seems from the outside that the future of Uni Ultimate is hard to predict, and one possibility is that it might become more integrated into the Mixed season (but that's probably a whole separate topic.

For Matt - I see where you're getting at, but its probably difficult to do in practice.  I think you mean something like if a State got 12 teams to its State Championships, then it should probably get more slots than another State that got 10 (regardless of other factors).  But I suspect that to make the qualification process meaningful and to allow individuals to make choices, people need to know in advance how many slots there will be available to them to try for?  (Plenty are wanting to know now).

Thanks for the thinking today people.

timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »

There is a new Melbourne team forming made up of players from pretty much each open/womens team in melbourne

We will be a force to be reckoned with  Smiley
Oh really! Who's on it so far? Or is the team already finalised?

It's not my place to say. They are being very quiet about it all.
They're called Station 59, and as far as I'm aware the team's been finalised already.

Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 08:58:20 PM »

nice photo champ
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

There is a new Melbourne team forming made up of players from pretty much each open/womens team in melbourne

We will be a force to be reckoned with  Smiley
Oh really! Who's on it so far? Or is the team already finalised?

It's not my place to say. They are being very quiet about it all.
They're called Station 59, and as far as I'm aware the team's been finalised already.

Heard they're sponsored by a Pub...thinking outside the box, nice.

timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 02:02:09 AM »

thanks frank.

JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 10:19:20 PM »

So the Mixed Nats qualification policy is out at afda.com - any thoughts?

Essentially, rather than the Nats N/S/E/W regions, there are twelve zones, each with at least one slot.  Different State/Territories have responsibility for nominating teams to take those slots - they might pick rep teams, or run tournaments, or just announce or something.

As I understand it (some grapevine and some guesses):
- NSW have announced a State Championships tournament to determine their six teams.
- Victoria are running a 6 week league (if I've got it right) to determine their teams.
- SA has called for interest in teams taking their two slots.
- Presumably Townsville will get its act together and claim the North Qld slot.
- QUDA hasn't made an announcement on the two South Qld slots, although I hear Byron are interested in trying for one of them, setting the cat amongst the pigeons.  QUDA isn't keen to use Halibut as a qualifier, as teams have already formed etc, and it probably wants to keep Halibut a special event for Mixed teams around the country.
- Tasmania will send a rep team for their slot I presume?  They might have to have selections!!??!!
- Presumably the NT and Northern WA slots will not be taken up, and become wildcards and go to NSW and Vic?
- Southern WA might struggle to send two teams (particularly given their upcoming NUFL travel), freeing up another wildcard?
- Don't know how NZFDA will manage its two slots

Any other news and thoughts?

jdr

cupcake

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 11:06:28 PM »

any thoughts on allocating a spot to an 'all stars' juniors team if there was enough intrest? i know there was a team of juniors that went last year, but it would be interesting to see what the new bunch can get up to on the national scene. Good experience pre worlds and pre juniors selection camp.

Cupcake

that was in - tents
Robbie

Australia Australia

Life is a game, Frisbee is Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 05:06:32 AM »

I reckon now that Joel has moved to paris for 6 months Grin, Fury is up there with a chance...

Model Inc. SAFDA open champions 2005, 2006 and 2007!
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »

any thoughts on allocating a spot to an 'all stars' juniors team if there was enough intrest?

Well, isn't this year's Junior Nationals totally, like, the biggest ever dude?

Surely with the amount of interest we've got going it wouldn't be hard getting players - even girls, because God knows Panic! had too many...

I'd be up for playing in it - assuming I learn to catch, throw and cut by October - and the NSW qualifier but what zone would an 'all-stars' team play in?

Assuming you actually meant all-stars juniors and not just In-Tents there, Tom.

T.

ps saw your shirts on Monday - lookin' good buddy

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
cupcake

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »

that would be the problem...how would a juniors team qualify if they are from all over the place. This would be where a wild card would come into play? Or see if we could get through with a nsw juniors team which would be fair tricky considering there are 6 places available.

and yes tiger i do mean an all star team, not just in tents. We are hardly all stars.

CUPCAKE

that was in - tents
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »

I've got it, Tom! We take Tasmania's spot!

I really want to compete in the NSW qualifier for Mixed Nationals - one of the team rosters that's done has everyone that I can think of who's any good (which is basically just Nikki Shires and Mike Baldwin) - and get completely and utterly schooled, so if there's a hassle with forming an All-Stars juniors team, I am at least going to that.

It'll be like Longest Day but with less random old men like Andy who have enemies on every other team.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
cupcake

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »

and im assuming not on sand?

that was in - tents
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese