UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 20, 2019, 01:22:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed Nats 07  (Read 57025 times)
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2007, 03:56:49 AM »

JD is playing for Bootius. Fairly bloody stacked line-up methinks.

Newcastle/Bootius rematch in the final?

I don't think Bootius are that stacked. There are a number of teams which are of similar calibre.

And don't forget that Pie Wagon had very close games against Spider-Pig, Padlock and one of the Canberra teams at NSW State Champs. There were only a couple of points in most of the games. Though we are yet to see whether they add Jonno Holmes since at the moment there is no one on Pie Wagon's roster....

If I had to pick quarter-finalists right now they would be (in no particular order): Pie Wagon, Spider-Pig, Padlock, Toot Sweet, Bootius, FAF, Station 59, & either Fat Beagle OR Verfremdung
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2007, 05:51:06 AM »

Yeah that's where the smart money is. I don't really see any other team upsetting the field and getting in among that group just yet.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
JMc
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »

Oh, come on, Rach. ANYONE can pick quarter-finalists - the real talent is in sticking your neck out and giving us winner and runner-up. Care to try your hand? ;-)

I'll go Booty (home team loyalty) over Spider-Pig (cool name, 2 Dowles, 3 Becs).
Pie Wagon (depending on their final roster) or Station 59 as dark horse options.
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2007, 07:53:11 AM »

I like'a da JMac call!
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2007, 08:22:35 AM »

well, the winners of course will be Padlock and we will crush Pie Wagon in the final  Wink
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »

I'd like to stick up my hand and say my team (7 nation army) could sneak into that top 8. We had never played together before regionals, and we had close games against the top teams after being infront of all of them. lost by 2 to Toot Sweet after being up at half, and (the killer)losing our cross over to verfrumdung on the sunday morning 15-14 after being up 10-6...that one hurt. 2 strange losses 2 wollongong where we put our worst game on the feild were odd, at the end of both days following tough deflating losses...i suppose happens when most of your team has never played together before. Anyway, dont count us out...fingers crossed we get our shit together though. And gods be praised we are no longer called Funky Monkeys
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2007, 05:19:51 PM »

I would love to stick my neck out and say Station 59 all the way - STOP, DROP and ROLL!

But those NSW teams have a clear advantage of playing tough games at regionals which we really didn't get.

It's always hard to gauge strength from different regions

Booty do look good, even without my big booty  Grin

When comparing team rosters I think the most important part is -

Who has the best girls??

(hint - the answer is Station 59)

JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2007, 10:22:27 PM »

I can't believe you people haven't asked the QUESTION OF HIGHEST IMPORT!

Is there a party theme yet?Huh?

JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2007, 12:31:10 AM »

Oh heck, its that time again.  Time for argument and moaning.

Over on the afda-hp list, Pottsy has called for suggestions for seedings for Mixed Nats.

The lovely Rachael Grindlay has taken the challenge of suggesting a seeding so that people can comment from there.  Good on her!

Best way to provoke some discussion is to put a list out there. So how
about this for a first stab at seedings? I started off using last years as
a guide but gave up since there was very little Sydney attendance. Major
problem is the lower end where I have no idea how the teams between zones
compare. Go ahead and tear it to shreds Smiley

1 Pie Wagon
2 Bootius Maximus
3 Spider Pig
4 Padlock
5 Station 59
6 Toot Sweet
7 FAF
8 Fat Beagle
9 Cosa Nostra
10 Verfremdung
11 Wollongong
12 7 Nation Army
13 Gary
14 LOG!
15 HECS Debt
16 Sugar Happy Lounge Lizards
17 Ocean madness
18 Honey Badgers
19 sCAPEgoats
20 Ambivalence
21 woMANLY
22 MUCUS
23 Ultimate Evolution
24 Special Sauce

Thoughts?

DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2007, 02:40:44 AM »

the only thing i know is what happened at NSW regionals. But from that there was a fair gap between what was the top 10 at the tournamnt (Pie Wagon down to 7 Nation Army) and then 11-15(or however many there was). We finsihed 10th, but beat the teams below us 15-2 and 15-1, and only had close loses to above. There where no huge gaps between teams in top ten. So from that list there is certainly alot of room for teams inbetween NSW 8 (cos 2 canberra teams finsihed above) and NSW 9. But have no real idea of team strength of other teams other than adding up AFDA no's and averaging them to see which team has a lower one, and therefore a better team:)
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »

But have no real idea of team strength of other teams other than adding up AFDA no's and averaging them to see which team has a lower one, and therefore a better team:)

That is genius technique.  Something clean and objective.  Although the oldest, fartiest team gets top seed. 

And of course, we'd see some entertaining AFDA number trading in the off-season.  Anyone want to buy 1119?

rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2007, 05:45:19 PM »

I've been using that technique to (initially) seed Longest Day teams for the last 3 years Smiley It is reasonable in the absence of other information but you have to watch out for:
- expats who have been playing for years and have high numbers (e.g. Jens)
- new players who have a low number due a previous member being deleted (i.e. if someone had a two numbers and so one got deleted then the next member who joins up might end up with their old number)
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2007, 09:28:30 PM »

yeah...our team would actually get totally shafted by that system...our best player (yay american imports) has an AFDA no of 9600 or something...not indicative, plus 2 other good internationals in the 10 thousands....so ignore my suggestion...or apply to teams that are not mine
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2007, 02:36:46 AM »

What the hell? I thought I was on the afda-hp list. Oh well, I'll add it to the collection...

I reckon Rach has read it well...top half seems ok to me. Bottom half could do with an adjustment or two (woMANLY seem like they should be a bit higher, Gary probably should be a bit lower)

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »

Yeah Gary is too high
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese