UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 18, 2019, 10:36:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Facebook Connect! UltiTalk is now connected to Facebook for added social networking features.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Beach Ultimate  (Read 22200 times)
FarmerJohn

United States United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 06:53:24 AM »

If you're ever going to want it to be a world quality tournament, late November's gonna be a hard time for the US because it possibly clashes with Thanksgiving. Big family holiday over here.

My assorted ultimate thoughts - farmerulti.blogspot.com
Drag

Australia Australia

oh o

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:53:52 AM »

stupid aussie question but when is thanks giving??

Personally i think october november are the best bets, avoiding thanksgiving just for the fact that some people like to celebrate it.

Reflection is noblest. Imitation is easiest. Experience is bitterest.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »

Well it would have to be very late November or it will clash with uni exams as well.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Drag

Australia Australia

oh o

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 11:32:16 PM »

very good point. see having it the weekend before melbourne hat might be ago, but it depends on if people want to travel to both. I know i would but i dont have to worry too much about money.

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 11:39:56 AM »

very good point. see having it the weekend before melbourne hat might be ago, but it depends on if people want to travel to both. I know i would but i dont have to worry too much about money.
What's the weather like down in Melbourne in late November?

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Drag

Australia Australia

oh o

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »

Usually averaging like 30. But the beach quality down here aint too good, unless you drive for like 2 hours...

FarmerJohn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 10:21:48 PM »

Thanksgiving is a major family holiday in the US. Major as in the busiest car and plane travel time of the year.

It's on the 4th thursday in November.

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 02:09:53 AM »

When is the end of semester for people in the northern hemisphere?

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
JMc
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 03:33:46 AM »

As far as I'm aware, it's around mid-December or so, and they're back early/mid-January. That's winter for them, so it's the short break... I think there's some variability between countries/states/schools though, so do we have anyone who knows better? Farmer? Brett?
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 08:50:45 PM »

When is the end of second semester as well?

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »

Where would people be thinking of hosting this hypothetical bad boy?

The idea of Melbourne was floated. I went to Melbourne the other day - it's great for sailing! - but rocks and awful weather an internationally respected beach tournament do not make.

Surely somewhere in Queensland/Northern Beaches of Sydney (where Longest Day is held?) would be viable options.

And as far as getting respect/players to come, surely Bozza would be the guy to talk about - the Bathurst Stampede was inaugural this year, and admittedly I don't have much (any) experience in large tournaments when it comes down to it, but he managed somehow 16 teams out to Bathurst for an entire weekend?

Surely convincing people to trek it out to Bathurst is a much harder sell than a pristine beach location with Ultimate? If the issue is getting an international player base, then surely adapting an existing popular beach tournament to be recognised by the AFDA as the Australian Beach Ultimate Championships would be the logical step - hell, even make a new one. Not like there are too many beach tournaments in Australia.

At least not to my liking.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »

Wouldn't bother with Victoria. If you plan to do something at the beach on any given day, it will be windy as all hell, plus overcast and generally crap.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
FarmerJohn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 04:51:59 PM »

End of first semester for me this year
Classes Start - August 27
Classes end - December 14
Finals end - December 21
^ This is perhaps ending a week later than normal for us this year. Other schools vary a week before or a week after generally. I'm angry about that because world beach championships is during that last week of classes. And I just can't justify missing the whole last week of classes, but I can justify missing a week in february for Kaimana, because nothing important ever happens in February. So I'll go to Kaimana.

End of second semester this year is
Classes start - January 14
Classes end - May 2
Finals end - May 9
^ That's pretty typical, though some schools again start a week or two earlier and then finish earlier.

If you were holding it in Queensland, June July or August that could be ideal. July is the "dead of winter" in Queensland, which means it'd be pleasant weather, rather than unbearably hot, so you might have to wear long sleeves at night to keep from getting "cold." And if you held it that time of year you could get american uni students to come without huge amounts of trouble. Of course then there's Wildwood in July too. You're gonna find scheduling issues as a problem anytime of year.

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 12:34:19 AM »

If those dates are fairly accurate I'd personally think that May 15th - May 25th would be the ideal time of year, it's late Autumn so the Gold Coast is 24 - 26 degrees, and the water temp is still warm enough for pleasant swimming conditions.

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese