UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. March 25, 2019, 11:03:48 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to Mark, 1-on-1  (Read 23990 times)
ppgear

Canada Canada

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:42:30 PM »

What's the right way to defend a guy, 1-on-1? Usually I take the fast ones that go long.

Right now, what I do is stick to him like glue, trying to stay within 1m to 1.5m from him, between him and the person with the disc and follow him closely wherever he goes.

Positionally I'm basically always between him and the thrower, except when he sprints and cuts and I have to follow behind him.

I've had trouble not seeing the disc. When people call "up", should you immediately look up to locate the disc first, or keep your eyes down and just follow your man?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Our team hasn't won a game yet, though we're getting progressively closer.
wwwake

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »

When I'm marking someone I know is faster than I am, I will first stay between them in the endzone, especially if I know they like to cut deep.  My feeling is I'd rather give up a short throw than a long one.  Furthermore, I always try to predict where the disc is going, not where it is right now.  That way I have the advantage of seeing things come up before he does.  As Wayne Gretzky once put it, "A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."  I think the same principle applies.  A great example of this would be a dump-swing move.  If you can anticipate that swing, you can prevent forward movement or even get a great D.

With regards to "up" calls, I tend to just bust into full speed and jockey for position if I know he's going deep.  Then I look back, make a quick read (and try not to lose any momentum) and start busting again.  I know if we're forcing flick, I need to be on the forehand side, and if I hear a "broken!" after the up call, I need to get on the other side.  If my mark is more midfield, I'll look first, then run hard. 

If it's a more intense game or an even match, I would stick closer to him, but I still try to predict where the disc is going.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but I've found better success with that.
AndyHarry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:55 PM »

If I were you, I'd be a lot closer than 1-1.5m from your guy. You can actually equalize some of the speed difference by playing a closer, more physical style of defense. When you play elite teams, you will be defended that way. Every encounter between a cutter and a defender is a battle, and there's going to be a mutual respect for close, physical play as long as no one is illegally using their hands to push off or impede the progress of the other player.

As far as positioning, you will want to position yourself differently depending on the situation. Defending a deep cutter, I might position myself right where his best escape route is to slip deep. If he turns and runs through me to get where he wants to go, a. that slows him down allowing you to keep pace with him, and b. you can probably call a foul if you get knocked over or something.

If you're man is jogging toward the deep, you can't be content to keep pace with him while running behind him. You need to get in front of him (deeper than him) and then keep pace with him to discourage the long throw. If a throw does go up, you're in a position to make a play that way. I don't know how else to slice it: you're in trouble if you get blown by without contesting the cut physically and have to chase someone full sprint to the endzone. Pray for a bad throw in that case. This usually happens because you gave your man a clear path to the endzone due to not playing close enough. If you let a good player run free, you're not defending him, you're just chasing him, and you're going to get beat every time. I generally prefer to play even with my offender so that I can honestly make an attempt to defend a deep cut or a short cut.
Sniggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »

I dont think theres a right answer really besides guarding close. I usually look at their feet to judge cuts early but I still miss an easy block once in a while by not seeing the disc.
evolution_leader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:51:05 AM »

the way that i am approaching this, which i just started, is keeping my back to the point and staying between the point and the man i'm guarding. think if your a point on the other team... would you throw it to someone, where there's a defender right between you and him? the man i covered didn't get any throws for 3 points straight... that in my mind is good D. if everyone on the team can get the pointman to stall out or otherwise get a turnover, that's great D and if you can repeat that, you'll most likely win.
ultimaterob

Canada Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »

Great question and comments!

I did a video on marking a few months ago so it might help some newer players to see it being demonstrated:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcCvu_-eETg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mcCvu_-eETg</a>
BlaizeDuke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:06:17 AM »

Sounds like you are playing good defense, but if you play for a team I would trust your teams strategy when it comes to guarding. Some teams play every man for themself 1-on-1 which seems to be the type of defense you are doing. If that is the case stay behind them and don't let them go deep.

Most offensive players make a fake cut before going the direction they want to go so don't bite too hard on their first fake.

That being said, the better teams have strategies for help. It really helps to have a sideline talking to you. They can tell you when you are "last back" This means that you are the final defense for your team and to play between your man and the endzone. If you see someone sprinting deep switch players. On the other hand if you are not "last back" guard underneath your man and keep him from getting a free run to the disc.

The most important rule when guarding someone in my opinion is TRUST YOUR FORCE. If someone makes a breakside cut, follow them, but don't over pursue, it will just tire you out and get you out of position. If someone is faster than me, I prefer to get two or three yards off them on the force side. I will usually shade slightly underneath and square my hips up sideways so i can take of either direction.

Playerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »

Sounds to me like you are doing a good job of putting pressure on your man, especially with his under cuts. My advice if you are having trouble finding the disc in the air (im assuming on a deep cut), is as soon as your man puts his head down to go deep, dig in and get up to top speed but try to watch the handler over your shoulder. The reason for this is, if you see him look off the deep you can slow down and now you are in position to get a d when your man comes back under, OR you can get a read on the disc before your man allowing you to get position on the throw. The idea is not to necessarily play your man when he goes deep but to play the disc.
FrisbeeFanatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 09:55:22 PM »

I've found that giving a small cushion is actually more beneficial than guarding an arms length away (when it comes to cutters).  I think a lot of that is because good cutters know what they're going to do and no matter how much faster you are, once they have that first quick step on you, it's gonna take time to catch up.  I've had trouble getting beat on the force side because I don't give enough cushion.  I'll bite on the break side fake because I didn't trust the mark, and as soon as I planted my foot, he would take off the other direction.

If you're beat while he cuts deep, a good handler will take advantage of that every time, as you'll see in elite levels of play.  You can get away with baiting the huck in college or pickup play, but you'll look like a noob trying that in higher levels (found out the hard way lol).

And BlaizeDuke makes a great point about sideline help.  Every person playing should have at least 1 person on the sideline helping them out...constantly talking/yelling to them.  LISTEN to your sideline.

Lastly, wwwake has it right - think about where the disc should be thrown.  If you can imagine yourself as the cutter you're guarding, where would you cut?  When would you make that cut?  If you know where you would cut, you know where he want's to cut.

Practice doesn't make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.
UltimateJimmy

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »

I like to block a larger percentage of the attacking side... If you give the option of them only squeezing a shot down the line, it limits the ability once they get closer to the endzone..
I feel (only being new) you can burn yourself out if blocking for the majority of the game and all over the player... Its easier to block a segment and give them one option only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese