UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 15, 2019, 12:20:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Youth Nats  (Read 210421 times)
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2008, 07:12:15 AM »

There is no such thing as High School Ultimate. Not to a newcastle youth player.

One school from the Hunter represented at the HS Gala Day.

Therein lies our problem.

All parents have grown up with the established sports. Football (soccer), Rugby, AFL, Cricket and Netball. They are recognized as "sports". Ultimate Frisbee is something you play in the park while at a picnic. Parents nor kids see it as a sport.

The first step is to get Ultimate into High Schools.

There will be kids interested in playing, then we see steady growth once we have some basis in the school system. Nearly the entire population of Australia has been in school at some point. Uni's are cornered by the Ultimate lifestyle. However it is unknown in High Schools.

I played ultimate in high school. It involved an aerobie for starters  Shocked . Not to mention a whole heap of other stuff that hasn't nothing to do with our game. (Including wingers that closely resembled a rugby or football winger Grin ) Now I look back, it was hilarious having a "kick chase" in ultimate....

We'll be starting up a High School Gala day in the Hunter, looking to move into a High School/Youth League in the future.

Everyone will have their own thoughts on the best way to grow the sport. I think the best way is just to treat all new players with the same friendliness and openess that you were most probably shown. I know for the first league I ever played everyone was helping me learn the game and it was sweet. I do the same thing now with new players, i'm giving "hints" if they are particularly out of position.

Anyway, HANDS UP FOR YOUTH NATS!

I'll be happy if we win.
a1214

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: July 05, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »

dont worry brett we dont think the tournament is bad or not worth it! we very enjoy it!

I think its hard to recruit from high schools for a sport like ultimate since it really needs that sort of mature sportsperson that is a lot harder to find in a high school!

most people in highschool sport just screw around, dont take it seriously or are way too aggressive or jerks who cant play a sport like ultimate properly, you know all the people who say 'thats stupid no refs? the game would be crazy!' these are those people. the people who had no issue with punching up people on the soccer field in front of a ref, still really dont give a shit about it when theres no ref and they're given responsibility Tongue

but that said, recruiting still needs to take place

edit:
ps: what did nsw gala day cost? $15 or something? (i think thats what i paid last year)
how many people turned up to that?
probably a comparable amount!
it can still be a very fun successful day even if you give the kids nothing except insurance and field hire!
but then again if you're travelling from melbourne... might as well make it worth it!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:59:28 AM by a1214 » Logged

this is a pretty cool blog: sifultimate.blogspot.com (check us out)
frisWEE

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:44 AM »

i'm sure this has been said but there mjust be reason other than the majority of the teams for youths nats of the last couple of years being in nsw means that youth nats is held in sydney. i mean why not around the country? definitely i agree most ppl will not be prepared to pay for arlines and accomodation at our ages unless they are of worlds standard or just love ultimate or have friends who are of worlds standard. dude how hard is it to rack up a few hundred dollars if you get a decent job (like $10/hr). whats that like 15-20 hrs in a month lets say. i realise that most of youths nats players are either in uni (pointing at PUMSAT) or yr 12 now basically the rest of the u19 worlds team so maybe money could be a problem but harden up guys. man up and pay up!!!

give youth ultimate a go!

What did you say? Huck?!
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2008, 07:10:41 AM »

NSW teams have to pay a fee of $100 I might add. Not sure what that is towards though.
But the reason why it's held in Sydney so often is 4 out of 7 teams are from NSW...

I'm pretty tired at the moment so if this actually doesn't relate to what everyone is talking about then sorry.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
frisWEE

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »

hey the TDs have already cut it down to 75 bucks a player. just let it be.

What did you say? Huck?!
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »

Yeah, I didn't actually read your last post properly.
Wasn't in the right state of mind then, but im not really now.

Either way, I should probably get a Job.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
frisWEE

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

so you are posting why??

What did you say? Huck?!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 09, 2008, 04:41:17 AM »

NSW teams have to pay a fee of $100 I might add. Not sure what that is towards though.
But the reason why it's held in Sydney so often is 4 out of 7 teams are from NSW...

More teams from different places might come if it was held somewhere else.....

Just a thought.
a1214

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »

thats where it becomes a bit of a gamble...
you could try and get the sydney players to travel more, at the risk of losing your biggest crowd, or you could put it in sydney where the biggest crowd is...

you have to choose do you think more people would come if in melb, or if in sydney

Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »

so you are posting why??

Because i'm actually adding to the conversation unlike you, who is just spamming.
But anyway,

A day (basically) till youth nats.
Thunder have been training pretty hard so I wonder what it will be like. I've seen the hats and discs and I must say they look pretty cool.
Clever design too.

-Alex

Edit: Sorry, just a little worked up atm.

Lay-out
Lay-well.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 09, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »

dude how hard is it to rack up a few hundred dollars if you get a decent job (like $10/hr). whats that like 15-20 hrs in a month lets say. i realise that most of youths nats players are either in uni (pointing at PUMSAT) or yr 12 now basically the rest of the u19 worlds team so maybe money could be a problem but harden up guys. man up and pay up!!!

give youth ultimate a go!
It's easy to say that when you live in Sydney. Interstate kids have to consider getting to/from Sydney, staying somewhere, and getting around once they are there - if you don't live there, Sydney is the most difficult city to get around (in my experience). Plus getting permission from their parents to go. Plus time off work and the subsequent lack of income the following week.

Wherever Youth Nats is hosted, there will be mostly local teams, plus a couple of committed interstate teams filled with Thunder/Terra reps.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »

. Interstate kids have to consider getting to/from Sydney, staying somewhere, and getting around once they are there

I'm from Newcastle.

Its a nightmare.

Luckily for me, I was recruited by a Thunder player and am billeting with him (I'm counting my lucky stars at the moment). So my accom and transportation is covered. But I shudder to think about those other players that are coming in from other places that are going to struggle with transport.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 10, 2008, 07:13:10 AM »

Dan (Tenk) is actually at my house right now and he's living to regret thanking his lucky stars about being here. There were three wrong turns on the way home and he's sharing a bed with his brother in my room.

Sad

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »

Wow, your house is packed eh Tiger...

I shall see all of you later this arvo Wink
Good Luck to all.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
a1214

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »

I BEAT LEX TO THE INTERNET

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese