UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. December 19, 2014, 10:43:52 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Verticle Workout  (Read 5727 times)
DefensiveManiac8

United States United States

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:22:09 AM »

As a 5' 10" player, I find myself at the short end of the stick when it comes to catching discs in crowds and/or over defenders (especially those on my team who are above 6 feet). Reading the disc, picking an attack angle, and boxing out are my defender are all things I know and do well. However, I lack the ups to really get up for floating discs, which means that I never catch floating throws unless I have inside position.

Are there any recommended workouts/excerises to help me increase my verticle leap?
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »

Mate, I have one word for you: Plyometrics.

Get into it.  Plyometrics is the study and implementation of exercises specific for helping improve one's jump and vertical height.

Google it and you will find heaps of info on it.

You should also look into Cross Fit.  Search this site and you'll find a few topics of discussion about it.  I've done it myself and it DEFINITELY helped my physical fitness, including the height of my jump.  Again, Google it and you'll find more.

Finally, I would recommend the concept of barefoot running.  I've been doing it for several months now and it has most definitely helped increase my jump.  This is do to changing from a heal strike first to a forefoot strike first running motion.  I have a pair of Vibram FiveFingers that are an absolute must have.  They are sensational!!!

Cheers!

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
mwitmer15

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:46:52 AM »

The good news is that vertical jumping height is very responsive to training.  And yes, plyometrics are what you want to do for that.  I advize you to be extremely careful.  Most people do too much.  Things like agility, power, and vertical jump height are responsive to training INTENSITY not training volume.  So first, when you do plyo work, do it on a day you are well rested.  If you can't perform at 90% of your max capability, you will not have adaptation from the training.  Secondly, do less than half of what everyone recommends on the internet.  Programs like Air alert, and others recommend too much because they are going for short term gains (because they are trying to sell you something) and not thinking about injury prevention over a long and brutal ultimate season.  Progression does not involve adding more exercizes or more reps.  Progression will be just jumping higher.

A good rule of thumb is to have less than 150 ground contacts PER WEEK.  Maybe start your first two weeks of training with 100 contacts per week.  For two legged jumps count as one ground contact.  If you're doing something like alternating leg hops, each landing counts as a ground contact.  So, if you pick three exercises for example, you could do 3 sets of 6 reps of each twice per week.  that would be all.  I know that may sound crazy and may not intuitively seem like enough work to cause improvements, but trust me on this one.  And remember, if you're injured you can't jump very high either.

Good luck!

Melissa

Get FREE playing and training tips
www.25UltimateTips.com
FrisbeeFanatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:15:34 PM »

I've been wondering this myself.  I always gave myself the excuse to not work my lower body with "Ultimate practices are my workout," but looking into plyometrics seems like a good idea for sure.  So, today I start Smiley

Also, I can get my fingertips just barely on top of the rim, but I swear I can touch the top third of the backboard when I'm jumping for a frisbee...

Practice doesn't make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.
mwitmer15

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »

I realize this thread is old.  did you end up doing plyos?  How did it work out? 

I wrote a few posts on my blog that might be helpful to you.  If you read nothing else, please read Three Mistakes that Increase your Risk of Injury:  http://melissasultimatefitness.com/2011/plyometrics-three-mistakes-that-increase-your-risk-of-injury/  Don't let it happen to you!

I recently filmed exercises from two workouts I did.  After you have a strength base, and prepare yourself with introductory plyos, these give you some idea of how to think about the volume of your workouts. 

http://melissasultimatefitness.com/2011/sample-plyometric-workout/

http://melissasultimatefitness.com/2011/sample-plyometric-workout-2/

Melissa

Get FREE playing and training tips
www.25UltimateTips.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese