UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 20, 2019, 02:06:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New O's and D's  (Read 8036 times)
bigalpha

United States United States

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »

I live in Middle TN and around here we usually run a ho stack, and depending on the weather, a traditional zone D with a 3 man cup.

Recently went to a savage tournament and we modified our cup to run with two defenders on the disc and one person guarding the swing dump.  It worked supremely well for a few games but we ended up falling behind and sucking at it.

This brings me to my question.  Are there any fun new O's and D's being developed and/or already being utilized by top-tier teams?  I'd like to run something that's different than what's being currently used here.  Maybe something that fits our team a little better.

TIA.
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »

Hey bigalpha,

Have you tried a 4-2-1 zone D?  It works well, and allows for you to put on a crushing trap when the disc is swung to a sideline.  As for O, have you tried the Feldrenner (aka German offense)?  It is great fun and very efficient if run correctly and you have a star player who can fill the role of the Feldrenner.  The Dominator is also great.

See here for more: http://www.ultitalk.com/index.php?topic=508.msg4776#msg4776

Cheers!

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
bigalpha

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

Hey bigalpha,

Have you tried a 4-2-1 zone D?  It works well, and allows for you to put on a crushing trap when the disc is swung to a sideline.  As for O, have you tried the Feldrenner (aka German offense)?  It is great fun and very efficient if run correctly and you have a star player who can fill the role of the Feldrenner.  The Dominator is also great.

See here for more: http://www.ultitalk.com/index.php?topic=508.msg4776#msg4776

Cheers!

- Seppo #22

We have discussed running a 4-2-1 but I am not convinced that our team is strong enough to play the 2 mids.  In fact, I was thinking it might work better to run a 2-4-1 as one thing we got beat a lot at was the upfield swings to wings.

As far as German Offense - I do think that we have someone who can fill that spot.  It will be awful weird for us to run it, though, haha. 

Do you know of any O's and/or D's that are being run that aren't of the 'traditional' set up?
canis216

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »

San Diego Streetgang runs a junk defense that I refer to as "the box". It's a containment defense that tries to keep everything in front of it, generally conceding lateral or yardage-losing throws between the handlers but clogging the hell out of everything else. It sort of looks like this:

\    _     /

_     _

_     _

The 1st line are the markers, the folks defending the handlers. The outside markers force the disc middle, the inside marker forces straight up. The downfield defenders shade toward the middle and more or less surround the stack.

Strengths: If run well, forces tons of throws to score, even on calm days. On windy days against middling teams, this D can be deadly. Last weekend my team ran this in windy conditions and shut out a competent team, 'cuz they hadn't seen it before. By the 2nd half it was in their heads and the turns came quickly and unforced.

Takes very little energy to run, if done right. You are more likely to run out of breath running down field after the pull.

Good against hucking teams. The two deep defenders often sometimes teams from even trying to cut deep. The force-middle and flat marks make good hucks hard to come by.

Unusual. This particular D was pioneered by San Diego teams, and doesn't seem to have spread much beyond the West Coast.

Weaknesses: If the offense sends two players deep to draw away the deep defenders, vulnerable to throws over the top of the middle two defenders. Hammers and such. Those defenders need to be careful not to get sucked too far in.

Teams CAN huck against it if they can break the mark to the sideline to set up an unmarked huck. Or they may be able to fast-break up the sideline.

Teams that can consistently take 30 passes to score by just letting the handlers work may force the markers to poach less and instead sometimes try to deny the swing.
FrisbeeFanatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 10:07:19 PM »

The German O is awesome.  My summer league team ran it and dominated.  The 4 handlers should be able to work anything that's thrown at them.  The only real problem that i've found with the German O is the 2 deeps.  They often felt left out.  So, we've basically worked on switches during the play concerning them and "Hitler," as we've called the iso-man.  If the D is shutting down the iso, look for the handlers to make strike cuts for the power position huck.  If the D is shutting down the hucks, look for the under cuts, requiring Hitler to get out of the throwing lane.  Lastly, if the handlers are getting shut down, get new handlers Smiley 

Also, I'm biased because I'm a huck-happy handler  Grin

Practice doesn't make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese