UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 21, 2014, 11:18:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Defending the thrower  (Read 2024 times)
monstar81

United States United States

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »

I just started playing Ultimate about 3 months ago, but already love to play. My favorite time defending is against the thrower, however while playing today i encountered a new situation that I have a question about.

Situation: While defending against the thrower, they faked a couple of throws which I reacted to tracing the disc. After a couple of fake attempts the thrower resorted to faking throws right into my upper arms and chest. I have never had this happen before and was quite surprised by it, but didn't know if these were considered fouls or not. I heard one of the throwers players say they ad the right to back me off like that after the play.

Question: Were there any fouls that I could have called? Is there an unspoken or spoken rule that defenders/throwers have? (I know about the inside 3m rule, but is there a minimum limit to?)
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:13:21 AM »

Hey monstar81,

Welcome to UT!  Cool

I believe the rule when guarding a thrower is you must at least be a disc's length away from the thrower.  Obviously, the distance between you and the thrower will change as movement occurs.  That being said, the thrower "should" not throw themselves or their arm/hand into you in attempts to draw a foul.  I say "should" because throwers will often do this, especially at the elite level.  It's a way for them to reset the count and prevent a turnover.

It's a tricky are of Ultimate, to be sure.  What it really comes down to when it happens is the thrower and defender talking it out to see who is really at fault.

Cheers!

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Huck Fer Dayz 22

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »

a lot of good throwers will draw the foul but if you need some drills check this video out by @brodiesmith21

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rDJ8vLjtk0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9rDJ8vLjtk0</a>

-Uzi
FrisbeeFanatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »

If you are stationary and the thrower throws an arm into you, it's not a foul.  By you establishing a part of your body in any space, that's YOUR area.  But, if you're moving at all and the thrower throws into you to reset the stall count, it is a foul.  Good markers give just enough room for the thrower to release the disc, then place their hand or foot in the flight path of the disc, creating a hand block or foot block.  However, if the disc is still in the throwers hand while you block it, that's still a foul, UNLESS you have already established that area to be yours.  But, he'll still call a foul because he's upset he got hand blocker.  So, just contest the foul and begin the stall count on the right number.  For more information about what the stall count goes to, consult your Ultimate handbook Smiley

Practice doesn't make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.
monstar81

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies and the video. I would have never thought about the thrower purposefully doing this to draw a foul but it does make sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese