UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 17, 2019, 06:50:41 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Coverage of The AUDL  (Read 10795 times)
Ulti.TV

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »

Question for all you Ultitalker's,

Would you watch AUDL games?
If you had to pay for access to all 63 games (60 regular season matches, 2 playoffs & 1 final), how much would be too much?

Many of us won't be able to attend AUDL games, so the only way we'll be part of the action is to watch them on the TV or online...

Cheers,
Dan & Mike

- The Ulti.TV Team

-  facebook.com/ulti.tv  -  twitter.com/ulti_tv  -  youtube.com/user/ultidottv
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »

It's hard to say without knowing what calibre of player most AUDL teams will have. That said, I suspect that most teams will be pretty decent.

As for price, it's hard to set a price for all 63 games just because I imagine that there are a lot of people that will just want access to the 15 games that their favourite team is playing in.

So I'd suspect you'd have to bundle games into teams.

That said, Ultivillage sell the 2011 NexGen Tour on DVD, which is 15 games for $24.99. Which I think gives you a good starting point.

If I were you I reckon having a multi-teir system might also be a good option, ie you might be able to sell a premium product which delivers the games to subscribers within 48 hours of the game being played. People might be willing to pay up to $3 - $7/game in this circumstance.

Then at the end of the season you might bundle the games together and sell and sell a 15 game team package for a much more reasonable price of $15 and maybe all 63 games for $30 or something.

Either way I'd be trying to capitalise on maximising your return by offering a premium product to the die hard ultimate fans.

I'd also at least be giving away one or two "showcase" games a month as well just help get the word out about ulti.tv (as well as the sport) - even though 95% of people watching those free games won't make you any money, you only need a few to decide they liked what they saw and to sign up to make it worth your while, bit like a "try before you buy system".

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
JustinFereshetian

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »

I definitely am excited to watch the games. While I am going to try to make sure that I can get to a game in person, I will probably only be able to get to one of the games, and I want to be able to see more of the inaugural season than just one game. So streaming them online or getting them on TV would be the only way I'd be able to watch the rest of the season. It would also be awesome if you could get companies to sponsor the game footage so that the viewers don't have to pay to watch. Then you could at the end of the season sell dvds with each individual teams games (Constitution season footage, Rampage Season footage, Hunters season footage, etc.), and then a dvd pack that has every single game from every single team.
Ulti.TV

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:38 PM »

@Justin, to our knowledge the AUDL have nothing organized and games will not be broadcast at this stage... We did approach them to help them put something together. We are currently waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully they do decide to broadcast the games. Hopefully they decide to have ulti.TV assist them.

Cheers,
Dan & Mike

- The Ulti.TV Team

JustinFereshetian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »

@Ulti.TV That's awesome that you guys are trying to help make something happen here, how would it work if you do end up working it out with the AUDL? Will the footage be pay-per-view, or will you try to get it sponsored by companies? Because I know that there will probably be a lot less viewers if it ends up being pay-per-view.
Ulti.TV

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »

Unfortunately, everything costs money in this world. Providing coverage is expensive and unfortunately, there are no companies that want to back us to that extent. We're talking $100,000 or more here for a full seasons coverage of one team. So pay per view or what we call subscriptions is pretty much the only way to go when it comes to covering costs. We accept that there are a lot less viewers and that's just the reality of life.

One day, both us & NGN hope to move to completely free models that are paid for by advertising. But there are no companies at the moment that can do that so we have to use an alternative method to exist.

That having been said, ulti.TV still plans to pump out a fair bit of free content. If we took on the AUDL, we'd be putting up highlight videos from each of the matches and some talk shows and stuff. You'd be able to follow the league without paying. But if you wanted to watch full games, you'd have to pay.

Last thing i'll say is though, people pay $40 a month or more for cable/satellite TV. ulti.TV is $50 for a year and has coverage for 70 games planned... including australian nationals & worlds... i think that's pretty damn good value. Its like $4.20 a month!

Cheers,
Dan & Mike

- The Ulti.TV Team

JustinFereshetian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »

That's understandable that for the AUDL's first season you won't get companies to sponsor the footage by advertisements. I'm glad that you're hoping to move that direction down the road though, and that you'll at least get highlight footage up if you end up striking a deal with the AUDL.
Ulti.TV

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »

Well, its up to the AUDL now...

Brodie Smith mentioned in his VLOG the other day that the Alley Cats have something planned.

However, if what he said is true, it doesn't sound like the footage is going to be affordable.... But, as seems to be the standard MO for the AUDL, there is no information anywhere on what they have planned. So i could be dead wrong! We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Cheers,
Dan & Mike

- The Ulti.TV Team

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:24 AM »

$5/game for live streaming isn't unaffordable.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Ulti.TV

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 05:49:20 AM »

$5/game for live streaming isn't unaffordable.

You may be right. Time will tell. If they get zero viewership, we'll know they were dreaming. If they end up with 10,000 hits per game, then they were right!

Cheers,
Dan & Mike

- The Ulti.TV Team

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese