UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 01, 2014, 07:12:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tweak it out. Customize the look and feel of UltiTalk by changing your Theme Settings.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wham-O vs Discraft  (Read 10931 times)
-Mike-

United States United States

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »

Hi all,
I'm new here so bust my chops regarding what category this post should be in like most vb forums but i am posed with the ever so difficult predicament;
Why does everyone hate Wham-O so much?

Also, im split between a Discraft 175g Yellow and UV disc. Is the UV any good in terms of visibility?
JustinFereshetian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:56:38 AM »

Wham-O discs do not fly the same as Discraft Ultra-Stars. The ultra-star when thrown perfectly flat and with adequate spin will fly in a perfectly straight line for all intensive purposes. The Wham-O discs no matter how flat you throw it or how much spin you put on it seem to fade at the end of its flight when the spin of the disc is decelerating. Also it seems like the Wham-O disc if you turn it upside-down on a table and measure the height of the sidewalls is noticeably larger than the Ultra-Star, and a larger sidewall doesn't cut through the wind as aerodynamically as smaller one. Also a bigger sidewall doesn't feel as comfortable in your hand especially when throwing a forehand pass, or at least that's why I dislike the Wham-O discs.
SouthwestUltimate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:20:58 AM »

The rumor I've always heard, and I would love to have actual documentation or refutation; is that when Ultimate was first taking off, a group of players approached Wham-O and asked them to design a disc that was more suited to Ultimate, and supposedly Wham-O's reply was that a Frisbee is just a toy, and Ultimate would never be a real sport.  That combined with the fact that an Ultra-Star does fly straighter and is easier to catch, makes more Ultimate players snobs when it comes to a Wham-O.

An interesting side note is that in my experience the Flashflight disc is actually easier to catch than either a Wham-O or an Ultra-Star because they had to design a new plastic that transmitted light better, as well as making the surface of the disc slightly thinner to make up for the weight of the battery.  I've seen totally new players catch pretty much everything when playing with a flashflight disc in the daylight.

In regards to the Yellow vs UV, a UV is probably more visible, but I've never really had trouble seeing a white disc in the daylight, and a UV disc does tend to degrade, i.e. get softer and lose flight distance faster than a yellow disc, which in turn degrades faster than a white disc.
Derek M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »

Although discraft discs probably do fly better, i can't pull myself to buy anything but whamo. They were the original and only "Frisbee". It bums me out because wham-o seems to be uncooperative, although the new disc they have was just approved by the UPA, and its by the dicks sporting goods store by me, so i may buy that and see if thats any good. Anyone use it yet?

http://www.frisbeedisc.com/products/ultimate/ultimate.html
pushpass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »

For me, the main problem with Wham-O discs is the height of the disc rim.  It ends up being extremely uncomfortable for me after throwing forehand for a bit.  DiscCraft discs, on the other hand, seem to just work better all around for me.  All of the other comments about disc trajectory and ultimate players being generally miffed at Wham-O for various sleights and/or perceived slights are also pretty true. 

As for the previous poster, I haven't tried out the new Wham-O discs, as I thought they were only available online.  I have tried discs made by Daredevil Discs, which are used more often in Canada, and I prefer those discs to Wham-O as well.  I'm somewhat interested to see what the new Wham-O offering will be like, but it would have to be better than the current offerings from both DiscCraft and Daredevil Discs to make me consider switching.

Derek M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »

It was suppose to be but Dicks Sporting Goods had it for some reason. Probably just ordered them off line. Someone gave me theirs, i can't wait to try it. Unfortunately the rim is still thick, which is probably the biggest problem for Wham-O discs. I wanna try so other discs to, but really don't wanna spend too much money on discs. I know, its only like 15 dollars but still, I don't have a lot of money as a student Wink
rcatt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »

The main issue I have with the Wham-O is the fact that the lip of the disc is thicker than a Discraft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese