UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 24, 2014, 10:45:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Got time to chat? Try out the new UltiTalk Chatroom by clicking the Chat link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Poll
Question: Vote which rules you agree with.
Rule #1 - 0 (0%)
Rule #2 - 0 (0%)
Rule #3 - 0 (0%)
Rule #4 - 0 (0%)
I didn't agree with any of them - 1 (100%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What needs to change of AUDL wants to succeed  (Read 2087 times)
Derek M

United States United States

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »

I've very interested in Ultimate as of late, and I have played many other sports (Baseball, football, soccer, basketball, etc) and I have come up with some suggestions that we make the game more exciting and hopefully more popular.

1). MORE CONTACT

Ok, before you call me crazy, listen for a minute. I don't mean like decking the disk carrier. I mean making it legal to push and shove a receiver if he doesn't have possession. It would make it more of a challenge as well as add interest and excitement. I don't think that they rules need to be gotten rid of, but enforced more loosely.

2.) SUBS ON THE FLY
I'm not sure if this is actually illegal, but I'm pretty sure it is. It would make the game more fast passed. This would be similar to substitutions in hockey. I think it would be an interesting aspect to have.

3.) BOUNCING RULE
I think bouncing a disc would be much cooler and practical than not allowing any contact. It's just lame and doesn't really help. Allowing bouncing could cause much more excitement and many cool tricks. The only remotely possible problem is deciding whether it was a bounce or it hit the ground, although there should not be too many hard to make calls, an ultimate and even more debatable rules that cause more conflict.

3.) GET RID OF CURRENT PENALTY SYSTEM
This is my biggest problem. Ultimate is not a game of yards. I think minor offenses should be counted by strikes. Strike 1 is a warning. Strike two is a second warning. Strike three is time in something like a penalty box. Somewhat major offenses should be counted as two strikes, and major offenses send players straight to the penalty box. Anything but  yards. This also sucks cause players purposely cause a penalty to get more time to stop a turnover. Which isn't fair at all.

I'm sure many of you disagree, but these are the changes I would make. Some may say it takes away from our roots, but not by too much imo. Questions, concerns, comments?

EDIT: just realized this is the wrong forum, can a mod or admin pleas move this to the AUDL forum, thanks Cheesy

EDIT 2: added option 3. Made the old option 3 option 4. Also added a poll
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:08:45 AM by Derek M » Logged
Sabonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the sport but disagree with your rule changes. Maybe they just need a clarification.

1.) Pushing and shoving receivers is a bad idea. Much like football, this would obviously be considered pass interference. Sure there is some jostling, but any more would take away the spirit of the game. Also, even if you timed the contact for the exact moment the disc was touched, the danger and player safety hazards outweighs the benefits. Some of these guys have vertical leaps over 40", and a push or shove could easily be turned into a severe injury. Remember, ultimate players aren't wearing pads to protect them like football and hockey.

2.) Subs on the fly would not be a good idea for multiple reasons. If there is a long point, stamina comes into play, and that should be used as an advantage. Since there is a lot more scoring in Ultimate than hockey or football, subs on the fly isn't needed. Also, teams could utilize on the fly subs to make tremendous matchup advantages. At a high level of play, its just not applicable.

3.) I don't really understand what you are trying to say here. Sorry. What would it bounce off of if not the ground?

4.) The penalty system may need to have some tweaks, but overall it serves its purpose. Remember they are still trying to keep ultimate, ultimate. The spirit of the game still largely rules.
Derek M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

Oops... I thought i added a paragraph before this. I feel stupid now. I found this on a blog (I can't find it anymore, that's why I posted this). I paraphrased this and it was translated from another language so that's why it probably didn't make sense is some places.. This is not my work or opinions. The only Rule change I like is the last one. Yardages don't make sense, its like having yardage penalties in hockey or lacrosse. It works, but not very well. Sorry for the confusion everyone, I will fix it now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese