UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 25, 2020, 03:28:20 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Subscribe to our RSS feeds. Click the next to the board of your choice.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ACL recovery time?  (Read 21933 times)
mole

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:38:21 AM »

Hey there,

A question for any of those out there who have been unfortunate enough to do their ACL... how long was your recovery time? And by recovery I mean well enough to (safely) play ultimate, snowboard, whatever...

I did mine in early March and had the reconstruction about mid April... so I'm about 4 months in... feeling ok - running at 75%ish, doing weights and other random exercises my physio has given me to basically build the strength back up...

I'm hoping to maybe be able to play a tournament in December (Melbourne hat), which would only be about 7-8 months after the recon.... physio reckons about 50-50 chance but I think he may have really meant "if you do it you're stupid" :p

Anyway just curious to see how long people have been out of action for with the same injury.

Oh, and a question I'm not sure I really want to ask, but were you able to get back to the same level of play that you were at beforehand, or has it never really been the same?

Cheers
Glenn
alk

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:02:06 AM »

I've had ACL reconstructed once in each knee.  After my first ACL, my doctor cleared me to play soccer full contact with a knee brace after about 8 months.  Full recovery time for my second one was about 6 months.  My doctor would not let me play until my strength was at least 95% of the strength in the "good" leg.  I never got up to the same level of play in soccer. I've since switched to ultimate (about 6 years ago) and haven't had any problems with my knees.  The surgeries were done 11 and 9 years ago.

When you get back to playing is largely dependent on how hard you work in physical therapy.  I never trained as hard as I did than was in rehab with my second knee.  I'd say it's definitely possible to play in December but it depends on how hard you work to regain your strength, balance, and flexibility. 

Good luck!
kevpak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:22:28 PM »

Glenn,

A couple of questions:
How old are you?  Were there any other injuries associated with the ACL tear such as collateral ligament injuries or meniscal injuries.  Which surgical technique was used in the reconstruction? 
mole

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:40:44 AM »

Kevpak -

I'm 25. Yeah, there was some meniscal damage and some of it was removed (I don't think it was a huge amount but enough for the surgeon to recommend I avoid road running from now on for fitness and riding a bike or swimming instead).

By technique do you mean whether it was the patella that was used for the graft, or the hamstring tendon thing (I forget what it's called?)... it was the hamstring tendon thingy.... any more detail than that I'm not sure Smiley
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:43:01 AM »

G'day.
Few things about myself so you don't have to ask them Wink
1) Im 16 years old
2) I started playing Ultimate about 3 months ago
3) I live in Sydney, Australia.
4) The person who did my knee recon was "Dr. Miles Coolican"

Yeah I snapped my ACL and damaged my Medial Meniscus about mid August and had my knee reconstruction late October. I was playing rugby (union) against NZ and I did a sidestep (im wing) and snapped it. since then im getting used to the knee still. Its been 12 odd months since I had my recon, I have just stopped doing physio and I am cleared to play soccer and rugby (gotta be really careful though). But I am so affrayed to boot the ball! I think my leg is going to come off, and its frustrating.

As I have already stated I have been playing ultimate for about 4 months (Youth nats was first real game(s)) When I started playing leuage I wasnt meant to :\ but for some reason I was a special case where I had to go 12 months without any sport and Im sorry but I just cannot do that! im still not meant to layout either but I do it anyway. Hopefully I don't snap it again otherwise im Stuffed!   

Any other questions?

-Alex

p.s Did they use a tendon from your hamstring? They did with me, also have two screws.
Edit: Yeah just noticed lol.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:47:12 AM by Lex » Logged

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
mole

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:31:06 PM »

Hi Lex,

So you started playing again in about May? That would've been about 7 months after your recon - about the same length of time before I want to start playing... interesting
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 11:58:24 PM »

Yeah, thats about right.
I do feel that my knee is strong enough to cut, layout and sprint. Although for some reason I was a special case and I wasn't meant to play until about 9 months in, but its too damn hard.
Even know I have only been playing ultimate for a few months I have certainly found a new passion for it! I play with Cupcake and go to school with him so I guess its understandable Wink

-Alex
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:01:00 AM by Lex » Logged

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
mole

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:50:53 AM »

I don't know if that's a special case... I think generally they say you should ideally wait at least 9-12 months before playing again.. mainly I think so that the actual graft is strong.

I know how you feel though... it's killing me not being able to play when it actually feels fine...
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:39:09 AM »

Um... They told me the normal time that you can start playing Sport is month 6... but I was told to wait 12.
Maybe because I damaged my Medial Meniscus. Oh well I will be playing 3 sports next year Cheesy

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
kevpak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 03:28:29 PM »

Glenn and Alex,

I think the good news for both of you is that you are both young.  Most sports physicians recommend a return to sport at approx 6-9 months.  The incidence of re-injury to the ACL is rather low - around 3-6%.  However, you do have a higher risk of injuring the other ACL.  The hamstrong tendon grafts seem to show better recovery in some studies with less anterior knee pain so that should help in Glenn's case.  The bad news is that you both had mensical damage and this may lead to some knee pain down he road. 
I think the most important thing for both of you is to make sure you take your rehabilitation very seriously.  It's not just about rehabilitating the knee.  It's very important to focus on core strengthening and balance training.  The knees are very important proprioceptive structures (helping to determine your place in space) and any damage to the knees can and will affect that.  I will highly encourage both of you to really focus on core strength, balance and proprioceptive exercises before you hit the field and take it slow.  Good luck. 

Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »

Yeah, thats what my physio said (About the core strength). Although Its way too hard for me no to dive right back in (already done it) but what all the nurses and Doctors found strange that is after the surgery and until now (still none) there was no pain at all. I didn't use any morphine at all while I was in hospital, don't know what I would do if I snapped the other one, couldn't stand to go through all that re-hab again.
Cheers.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
mole

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 01:22:08 AM »

Thanks for the info Kevpak..

Alex - yeah I can't even imagine doing another one... its a scary thought. I think that would put me off ultimate for good
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese