UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. July 30, 2014, 07:16:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Teaching Ultimate Frisbee HS Summer Camp Course - Drills/Mini-Games Suggestions  (Read 2641 times)
magnus1225

United States United States

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »

Hey everyone,

A little background on myself before getting to the subject.  I was introduced to ultimate in 7th grade, I'm 23 now.  I played on a college team for a semester, went to a couple tournaments.  Haven't really played to many games the past couple years, I mostly enjoy passing around the discs with friends.

So, this summer I'll be returning to a summer camp for high school students from around the world (mostly sophomores/juniors) where I'll be instructing an Ultimate Frisbee course.  (Last year I was an assistant to the instructor so the course had already been planned out, but this year I did all the planning).  The course is only 7 days long, running about 1.5 hrs long.  Most of the kids have thrown a frisbee around, a couple known how to actually throw decently, and very few have played a game of ultimate.  I have the 7 days pretty much planned out it's just that I've been away from the game/different drills/mini-games for so long I've forgotten a lot of them... also they were to complex. 

I'm hoping the community can help me out here.  I'm looking for 'mostly' various throwing drills, and some defensive/offensive drills.  I only teach the force for defense, no zone, cup, etc... and only cutting for offense due to time restrictions and also complexity.  We tried teaching the stack last year but that failed miserably.  I'm also looking for some fun mini-games.  I have durango boot, flubber guts, and the 2 lines, 1v1, I huck the disc and they work on reading the disc and timing their jumps (can't remember the name for this). 

Keeping in mind these need to be FUN (which I know is strongly determined by myself) if at all possible, simple simple simple because they have a short attention span. 

I really appreciate it everyone!

Nathan
DesignatedDecoy (DD)

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »

I like 3 on 3 Hotbox myself.  It will give them 1 on 1 D skills, cutting skills, force them into various throws, and give them experience catching near lines (jumping, dragging toes, leaning, etc).  With such small numbers, you have no choice but to touch the disc often.  You can move the clear lines in or out depending on how much exercise you want them to get.

If you want drills and had trouble with the H stack you might simply want to do a 3 on 3 ho Stack drill.  2 cutters with defenders, one thrower with or without a mark.  Force your cutters to talk to each other to determine who's cutting first and if they are staying in their lanes or crossing.  Can also give your D the chance to practice a bit of mini zone D or sponge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese