UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. May 26, 2019, 01:49:42 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where was that post again? Stop searching and start bookmarking!  Save your favorite posts in My Bookmarks.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need Tips and Pointers for Coaching a Team  (Read 4622 times)
GoingCommando

United States United States

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:19 AM »

Hello, just created an account on ultitalk for this very question! This seems like and interesting community, and I really just need some help and motivation in this little Ultimate endeavor I have gotten myself into.

I am the president of a small Community college club and am here seeking advice on how I should go about managing my club. Mainly Im looking for tips on the coaching aspect of it, as I do not have a lengthy career in Ultimate and most of my knowledge just comes from the past year of being a part of the team. The previous Captains/Officers of the club all graduated (sucks being a 2-year school), and no successors were named. I just saw that the position needed to be filled as I was really the only one out of everyone that was left that was willing to do the paperwork (as related to the college). Anyways we have a decent amount of people that are interested and have come to practices, and a fair amount who are quite skilled at the game. We just have no organization, and I really tried to provide it, but in all honesty I did not do a very good job during the fall semester. We went to a large tournament, but I called in a frisbee vet (a kid with Univertsity Ultimate experience) who had the weekend off to come in and kind of be the coach. I have decided that I now want to be that coach.

So basically I want to be able to manage the team, with the help of the other 3 captains, but I am too unfamiliar with Ultimate. I only have about a year and a half experience, all from this club. Also, its hard to find a good time when we can all meet, or I can get people to come out, because you see were a community college and therefore life off campus and many have jobs to take up our time. I'm thinking I should set up practices twice a week, and have it almost mandatory that our members attend, I know its common sense but thus far we've not been able to achieve it.

I've watched hours of Youtube Videos (mostly Brodie Smith) on how to throw the disc, and a few full games even. I'd describe myself as an average player, I can throw decent enough, but I'm not much of a handler, more of a cutter.

What do I do during practices? What drills have you guys done during your practices? Do any of you have experience coaching? How do I be the coach when I've got so little experience? I do have the drive though, I love Ultimate, it is becoming one of my passions, I just have no sense of direction. I know these are very very open ended questions, so any tips are more than welcome, and I'd love to hear about you own experiences in being on/leading a team.

Thanks!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese