UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. August 18, 2017, 06:11:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I want to improve my deffense, but i m SMALL HEIGHT, HELP!  (Read 11617 times)
Nain

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »

Hi!
so that's my problem, and I want to improve:  i m SMALL HEIGHT,  5 ft (1,5m) , and I have problems to deffend. Offensive have longuer legs and run faster, jump higher, make throws above my head.

What can I do?

Is there any strategy?

I have been thinking on Japan players playing againts taller guys, do they have a special strategy? Any skill to improve?

Thanks a lot, any suggestion will be very welcome!!!

Duckmoose

Finland Finland

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:24:42 AM »

Acceleration is the key.

You're small which typically means quicker acceleration and changes in speed. (Simple physics: bigger objects require more energy to positively or negatively accelerate.)

I might not be the best person to advise you here but my suggestions are:

Do interval training which in layman's terms means run x distance while altering your speed now and then. E.g. run one kilometer and every 200 m switch between jogging and sprinting. Draw a small track with cones, sprint to the cone, brake, cut to the next cone, sprint and repeat. What you want is a quick pair of legs.

In the end, ultimate doesn't have that many long runs except hucks to the goal. Most attacks require a few steps to fake, an aggressive cut and an even speedier sprint for the open/break side to catch the disc.

But when defending, speed isn't all. You'll need to learn how to position yourself. That's more of a team effort, though. But you need to be able to read the play going around the field and put yourself in the attacker's position. Two guys run up for a huck, most likely your attacker won't so it might be more wise to position yourself between the thrower and attacker (under him).  That gives you a slight edge as he'll need to work a hell of a lot more because

a. He's going to have to come through you if you position yourself well
b. You have a lot more reaction time to his movements

One thing about going backwards: keep your balance on your toes. Might wanna check out basketball players and their movement. Try not to cross your legs, that makes you slow and vulnerable. Attackers will try to push you to a position where your balance is on your the back of your feet. That's the point when they cut because you need time to get your balance back to your front before you can start accelerating.

And about the Japanese? They lay out every single time they feel like they can. Work on your jumps etc. you'll get a huge edge on being able to get your body low and jumping from behind and making that sweet grab.

And just to inspire you, here's a picture from Finland. Just look at how much shorter the other guy is but he's still pretty even on air.

Good luck.
CamKrist

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »

Similar matter has already been discussed at yahoo answers. I can post the link if needed

I'm on  *Link Removed*  and my  *Link Removed*
Nain

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

Thanks a lot Duckmoose. I will do my best to train for that.

Similar matter has already been discussed at yahoo answers. I can post the link if needed
CamKrist it would be great to have the links, the more information we share, more chances we have to learn something more!

Cyas!
Rygard

United States United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »

Small guys will always be challenged on deep throws or jump balls.  You can help yourself simply by choosing who you cover when possible - cover handlers or height comparable people.  As far as physical training, increasing your vertical can be a huge advantage - plyometric training (be careful, this needs to be a slow progression - plyo can do serious damage if you do too much too fast) worked really well for me.   There are videos on youtube for increasing your vertical.  As the other poster mentioned, being short can give you other advantages, especially on the short game (no pun intended).

Shorter players can typically:
Layout faster
Turn faster
Have quicker short burst speed

This makes you invaluable for defense on under cuts or in a zone.

As a marker, work on making your defense unpredictable - handlers can throw around you if they know what to expect, but if you keep them guessing they will have more trouble throwing around you with confidence.

Cheers -
Jon

Jon Patterson
League Director
Colorado Core Ultimate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese