UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. April 23, 2014, 05:24:00 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Basics of the 11th edition rules...  (Read 5812 times)
dfdc

United States United States

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »

As a second year college player, what are the most notable rules that have changed that one should know going into a tournament that are different than what one is used to.
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:07:53 AM »

Hey dfdc...

I found this link on the UPA.org website.  It's a PDF with a list of the changes you seek.

http://www4.upa.org/files/substantive_changes_from_10th3.pdf

Hope it helps.

- Sep

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Pegger

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »

Most notable changes as I see them:

Marking violations (encompassing fast count, double team, disc space and 'vision blocking') - read up on that section and know how to apply them (know how/when to call them, and what to do if they are called on you).

Disc space, as a subset of marking violations - implications of the new definition are generally that many markers will need to give more space than before (can't be within a disc space of the thrower's upper body or pivot, or straddle within a disc space of the pivot, or 'wrap' your arms to within a disc space of the upper body).  Also as the definition includes that the marker can't touch the thrower, a foul on the thrower could be called as a disc space violation at the thrower's discretion, if they don't want to stop flow with a foul call.

Stall counts - no pause between "stalling" and the count (e.g. "StallingOne" is now legal rather than needing to be "Stalling...One").  But almost everyone already does this.  Also there are a few changes to where the count comes back in after a stoppage.  Contested stall comes back in on 8 instead of 9, and if it is the second or subsequent contested stall on the same count and it is contested due to a fast count it is back in at 6.  Contested violations are treated the same as contested stalls in terms of resuming the count. And no count can come in at higher than stalling nine (because "stallingten" would take virtually no time to say).

Rules for scoring have changed somewhat.  Players don't need to 'acknowledge' a goal to score.  If you throw it away after scoring, you have still scored (as long as you were clearly in the endzone when you initially scored... if that is not agreed, turnover stands).  However in order to score, the scoring player's possession must have survived all contact related to the catch... if they throw it away or spike it right away before that is established, no score.  Lastly, an uncontested foul in the endzone that causes the receiver to lose possession is a score, just as for an uncontested strip.  Note in either case the receiver has to have possession before losing it due to the strip/foul... if they are fouled and never have posession, it is still possession on the goal line for an uncontested foul in this situation.

There are a number of other changes listed... many are clarifications and don't really necessitate changes in play, and some relate mostly to fairly rare or obscure situations.  But definitely, check out the document Seppo lists as well as the full rules.
KK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:18:40 PM »

Thank you for clearing some of that up.
Cookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:19:33 PM »

Everything you need to know is available directly or through a linked resource here:
http://uparules.blogspot.com/

Why go anywhere but straight to the source?  The reason there is so much variation in players' understanding of the rules is that instead of sitting down and reading them carefully, players ask their local "rules authority" for advice.  Spread throughout the playing population, players' rules knowledge is the product of one massive game of "Telephone."  Better to read the SRC's official statements and then ask them directly on the googlegroup forum, if you're confused.  That way, you become one less player that is part of the problem.

But, I'll go ahead and put in my two cents.  It is important that you look through the marking violations and throwing fouls sections again because they have changed purplemonkeydishwasher.

-C
maxe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:41:28 PM »

anyone know when they will be mailing out the new rulebooks?
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:42:09 AM »

I heard there was some crazy new pick rule where players don't have to freeze in their positions?

Also, if that's true, does that mean we play it in Australia?

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
pjw

Canada Canada

HappyTC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »

Gotta love rule changes... just when people are finally getting the hang of some of them, they change...

Slightly off topic, seems like much of the world goes by WFDF rules, with the USA going by UPA. (Oh and Canada tagging along too -- Kyoto anyone? -- OOPS, stay on topic).

Anyone familiar with both WFDF and UPA rules care to shed light on the differences?

Which is better?

Who uses which?

Stepan

Czech Republic Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »

Hey, I sort of started this topic in other section of UT so I am happy someone else is interested too! I even put together a list of all main differences but then the new WFDF rules were released geting much closer to the UPA. Before I even started to correct my list the 11th edition is out and have to go through it first - but I definitely want to do it soon - some disussion here would help...

In general the UPA rules used to be "better" - more precise formulations and, yes, the Callahan...with the new WFDF rules the difference is not that big any more (as mentioned above) - it is more in details and I don't think categories as "better" or "worse" aply any more. It more about what fits you better Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese