UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. January 17, 2019, 01:01:33 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: National team funding  (Read 20623 times)
Stepan

Czech Republic Czech Republic

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:54:12 AM »

Hey there, not many Europeans here I guess but let me come up with what makes us some troubles these days.
After playing the finals in Southampton we want to send the same team to Vancouver but for most of the players the price is just not affordable. The only solution looks to be in an external funding or let's say some kind of sponsorship. I guess most of the European countries must be going through it now so I would like to invite some people to share some thougts on it.
We have tried to talk to the big companies, apply for the state money, cooperate with the sport marketing agencies, now poeple try to negotiate some reasonable air ticket price with the travel agencies...and so far we did not get a single pence nor did we make any progress at all.

How is it in your country? Any suggestions of what we did not try yet and what worked to you?

Thnkx Stepan, Czech mixed#11
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:08:04 PM »

Hey Stepan,

Congrats on making the finals out Southampton.  Cool

Raising funds for overseas tournaments can be quite challenging indeed.  While playing with the Australian Mixed team in 2004, we ran into many hurdles while attempting to raise funds.  However, thanks to the help one Diana Worman, we put together a very nice fund raising campaign which resulted in some impressive numbers.

I think the best resource for fund raising came from individual or small group initiatives.  Players from the various Mixed, Open, and Women's teams banded together and organized their own ideas: Some people sold Krispy Kream donuts at social events, others secured funds from their very own employer.  There were many ideas that worked a treat.

I believe the most important aspect of our fund raising venture was the professionalism of the supporting documents.  Diana used her excellent marketing skills and really put forth a solid, professional campaign for us, which included template letters and forms to give to our employers and other potential supporters.  These documents were professionally designed and included all the appropriate text and images.  No doubt it took a while to do, but the resulting numbers are proof enough that they worked.

I will contact Diana personally and see if she can offer some more information for you.  Watch this space...

Good luck with it Stepan.  I hope you obtain the funds you need for you and your team to get to Vancouver in 2008.

Cheers!

- Seppo

P.S.  I personally created a website for my own fund raising campaign (http://thewizardofaus.no-ip.com), where friends and family could donate to the cause.  Yeah, some people said it was pretty cheeky, but hey it worked.  And I will simply pay-it-forward in the future when a friend or family member needs funds to partake in an event they are passionate about.  Wink

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
markearley

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

Hey Stepan,

I think I met you after the Finals in S'hampton - well done mate, it was a huge effort to get that far. You had the Irish cheering for you in the Final, here's hoping next time you guys and girls go one step better...

Anyway...we are basically in the same boat of you, at least we have been for the past 4 years. This year we may have corporate sponsorship of some sort but it's far from organised. If it does come through it's because of employers looking favourably on what we're trying to achieve and putting their money behind us both for goodwill, support and i guess tax breaks! But like I said, we've never really got proper sponsorship before.

Last summer we organised cake sales at tournaments, we ran a poker night and a table quiz. The table quiz brought in nearly €2000! We simply wrote a carefully worded (and to-the-point) letter and asked every player on the Open and the Womens team to hand out 10 of them to companies, bars, restaurants, friends, family etc. This got us free prizes. We then asked every player on both squads to bring at least 4 people (one table) to the quiz. We held two raffles and in the end raised a LOT of money. This year, we are hoping to throw a huge party/Ball (at least that WAS a plan, not sure any more), and repeat last year's fundraisers.

We also got a lot of money from University Sports Grants as a large number of our young squads are still studying. As Seppo mentioned I think the most important issue is making sure that any application or letter for funding is written by a Marketing/Media professional, somebody who knows exactly what they're doing. We had a Marketing advisor on board last year and she made it all so professional. She got us on the radio, mentioned in papers across the country and even on a TV show. All it takes is know how and a little bit of luck.

Finally, i think this is a very important issue that nearly all European teams face. I mean for teams not to attend Turku was bad but then the expense of Southampton and now Vancouver - it's an uphill challenge especially for small community's like ours (there are currently UNDER 400 players in all of Irleand). We would've loved to play WUCC but it was held in Perth! As amazing as all these venues are, it's tough and I think sharing our experiences is vital to helping get each other to events to help Ultimate grow and in turn to help us have competition of similar standard.

Keep in touch Stepan,
Mark

ps Seppo - I played in Oz for a year in 2005 with Karma, the Adelaide-based team, might've run into you in NUFL or in Manly?? Not sure, but the name rings a bell...

Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »

Nice post Mark.  Excellent suggestions and examples.  As you said, all it takes is a little know-how mixed with lots of effort and weeeeeeeeee pinch of luck (4-leafed clover style).   Wink

Don't think we played together in Aus b/c I left mid-2004 on the way to Turku and back to the USA after that.  However, I do know there have been one or more "Seppos" running around the Aussie Ultimate scene since I left.  The imposters!   Tongue

Cheers!

- Seppo DEUCEDEUCE

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Stepan

Czech Republic Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:30:19 AM »

Hey Mark,

thanks for your tips and of course for your support back there in Southampton (was a strange feeling to play aginst the home team and hear the crowd chearing for us in something like 80%) Grin

The Irish appearance was an impressive thing for the open division too! I loved to stop by and watch the traditional "party team" to give a really hard time to everybody around (well yes, including the zero win against our open..). Hope you guys will go on this way.

We have some sort of proffesional presentation (http://www.cald.cz/files/CALD_sponzori_08.pdf) but nobody really cares in a country where there is soccer on the first place, than soccer, soccer....ice hockey, ice hockey....and than maybe some other sports looking from far bellow.
I have , however, discussed the idea of cake (donut, bread, whatever...) sale with my team mate who has years of experiences in charity. She put it to me as a proven matter of fact that what works well in States, Australia or UK (well obviously in Ireland too) simply does not work here in mid Europe. Maybe people are just not that open here and buying their brakfast in a bakery means less bothering for them...and to be honest enough, the players are of pretty much the same kind and the idea of most of them (us) selling the cakes on the street makes me laugh.

Well the table quiz might be a good way to go - it is not a tradition here either but we could think about something of that kind.I hope we generate more and more ideas here which could help more European teams to have a look to Vancouver and show the guys there that European ultimate is something to count with Cool
ThomasG

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:04:38 PM »

Stepan,

since you don't mention it I'm not certain if you've seen it: This thread from 12 months ago about fund raising. Agreed, most ideas may belong to the "provenly not working here" category, but if you haven't seen it, check it out.

Thomas
Trainer

Germany Germany

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »

Hi Stephan,

we tried another thing: A fairground stall/Aunt Sally. Thsi is good on a big feast, a big festival...

You know, take a table put some big cans on it and let the poeple try to throw with 5 ultimate-discs 3 times all the cans from the table. People get very ambitious about it, ecspecially fathers...

We took ,-50ct for 5 throws. If they don´t make it, they´ve got some candy or a pencil or something else someone of our club brought from his employer or other connections for less or no money. If they make it, they will get an orginal ultiate-disc. It´s possible, but on a weekend when we did it - we had about 300 people coming buy and try - only one did it.

Cheers,

Daniel
Goldfingers, Potsdam (Germany)
Chef

United Kingdom United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »

In the UK we've had a couple of tournaments that turn their profits over to the national team, which is a good way of making money for the teams and getting the teams involved... see www.blockstack.tv episode 3 for more info on the 'damme slamme' women's tournament.

We have also had the following fundraising intiatives (there might be similar schemes in place for other countries):

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 26 Feb 2008 14:29
Subject: Easy Fundraising for GB

Firstly - thanks for reading.  Please read everything in this message.
  It shows you a way that you can help us get the GB squads to
 Vancouver without any cost to yourself.

Go to the following website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk.  (You
 will have to register - sorry - but it only takes a minute).

When you register, simply choose your cause from the list (under "G"
 you'll see various GB squads)

There are three ways that you can raise money for the GB squads:
 1 - online shopping
 2 - free trials
 3 - easysearch

1 - Online Shopping

Whenever you are doing your online shopping, simply go to
 http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk first, log in, then search for a
 retailer from there.  They have a deal with all the big names (Amazon,
 Play.com <http://play.com/>, HMV, Tesco, WHSmith, Comet, etc etc) and
 whenever you buy
 something from any of those websites while using
 http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk as a portal, those same 'big name'
 companies donate money to our cause!  It's really that simple.

It costs you exactly the same amount of money as it would to shop
 there normally.  Each company donates a different amount; around 2-4%
 of the total purchase will be given to the GB teams.

2 - Free Trials

In addition, there is a link called 'Free Funds'
 [http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/raise_funds_for_free/] that allows
 you to raise money for us *without spending any money yourself*.  For
 instance, take out a free 2 week trial at LoveFilm and they donate £8!
  (you can cancel for free immediately without spending a penny, or
 simply enjoy the free dvd rental)

3 - easysearch

Use the following : http://gbultimate2.easysearch.org.uk/ and you don't even
 need to register to use it.

Now here's the kicker.  Don't keep this to yourself.  Email it to regional
 lists, club lists,
 friends, relatives, colleagues and more.  The more people using this
 stuff, the more money we can raise and it doesn't cost you a thing.

On behalf of all the GB teams - thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese