UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. December 05, 2019, 11:53:19 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: indoor, iron man tournament, helpful plays or tactics.  (Read 9020 times)
3bms-snake

United Kingdom United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »

hey ppl!

been playin ultimate for about a year and a half now so limtied experience. but i have entered a team into a iron five tournament in about 2 / 3 weeks.

i was wondering if there are any offensive/defensive plays tht can limit the amount of runnin we have to do on either end of play.

or even if there is a website that can detail all this.

any help will be great!!
Scapegoat13

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:29:30 PM »

hopefully you are already in shape, because no matter how many strategies you have to limit running, playing in an iron tournament is rough.  some advice i can give you is to limit mistakes.  obviously, the less you turn the disc over, the less defense you have to play, and the less running is involved.  i would also suggest running a 3 person weave, since it gives two people a play off.  if you rotate the players into the weave, then you can give everyone points "off" while still moving the disc up the field.
i wish i could be more help, good luck
3bms-snake

United Kingdom United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »

hey cheers mate. but i may be being a lil dull here but wats a weave.  we r mostly in good shape, but there are a few newbies to the game so there fitness isnt guna last the whole weekend.  so if an explanation to the "weave" can be posted by sum1 then tht would be amazing.

Scapegoat13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:20:11 PM »

no problem, i just had to find a good visualization to show you.  essentially, the weave is just a 3 person give-and-go down the field.  As the three handlers work the disc up the field, the others essentially wait in the endzone.  It might be a little difficult for newer players to run, but if you've got two experienced players running it with a newer player, it should work.  Here is a pretty good example of what the three handlers do:
http://www.menalto.com/ultimate/view_play.php?play_id=2
I hope that helps
raymie_y

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »

A few helpful hints:

Time management will be to your advantage when playing. Find out what the max time is between points and milk it to the second if your team is tired. If the other team is tired, raise your hand to pull as soon as you get to the line.

When you guys are tired, allowing a few seconds to drop off of the stall count before you worry about throwing if something isn't open immediately after the catch.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate !

Use many different types of zone to throw the offense off while only running a few people hard at a time. A 5 man zone sounds odd but can be effective. Go between clam, 2-2-1 zone and a 1-3-1 zone when man coverage isn't working.

Rotate positions frequently.

Punting is a good option when nothing is happening and you're high in the stall count.

Hope this helps! I'm sure that there are plenty of other options but I'm not going to type all day.

-Raymie

When in doubt, the hammer is always a good choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese