UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 11:27:04 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tweak it out. Customize the look and feel of UltiTalk by changing your Theme Settings.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Drills for teaching offense against a zone?  (Read 20470 times)
Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »

I'm not sure if this should go here or development.  Where do discussions of training drills go?

So I'm coach of a team of a relative newcomers, and we're learning zone defense for the first time, both how to play it, and how to play AGAINST it.  The basic zone we're working on is a cup, because it's what we see most of here in Tasmania, and most of the team has grasped the actual cup concept (and how to work against it) quite well.  But I'm having trouble explaining what the players behind the cup (both O and D) do.  How the poppers should be cutting, where the wings should be cutting.  At least, I can explain it, but it's very difficult to get a team of beginners to implement it properly.  Usually when this happens, I turn to a drill that will run through the skills required, but I can't come up with a drill for this.

So, is there any appropriate drill, for any number of players, that mimicks poppers running through the cup, and working together as a pair? 

(Does this make sense? I probably have different names for everything, not being an american.  I hope you understand what I'm trying to say...)
ax

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »

I am the captain of a relatively new team and we had to teach eleven new players how to play zone in the beginning of this year. One of the main things we did to help them get how to play, is break down zone into different parts. We broke the team into two and taught one half offense and one half defense and ran through it a few times slowly. Then we switched and taught the other half and ran through it again. Since then, to work on specific positions, we've run through it with variations of only certain parts. For example- we had handlers, a cup, and only poppers or only wings. I've found focusing on one specific position has been the an effective method.
MattTucker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »

I good drill that we use is to get in a circle (or two if you have a lot of people) and put three people acting as a cup in the middle. Now you just play catch for a while trying to break the mark of the cup. (One cannot throw to the person directly next to him). Other than that, this works on breaking the cup and setting up a really tight cup...

You can come up with your own rotation, but for us: if you make a bad trow or your throw is D'd, you must join the cup and somebody from the cup takes your place.

Simple and effective..
Pretty relaxing start/end to a practice.

--matt

--matt
SpringsUltimate Webmaster http://www.springsultimate.org
Denver CULT Web Designer http://coloradoultimate.org
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:55:38 AM »

The team I'm playing with at Hat has some newbies on it, who don't know zone. What my captain did was to split the team in half, with one half playing O and the other playing D, and getting everyone to mimic what happens in a real zone.

It was with about ten people, so we had three people swinging, but holding on to the disc long enough for the new guys in the cup to work out how to hold the formation, and we'd stop occasionally and tell them to close off gaps or to keep their hands low. We told the new guys playing wing to look for flow - that is, if a pass is going to one side of the field, the wing should run down the line towards the intended receiver, hopefully getting there before the cup and open enough to receive a quick pass.

Poppers we told to work in tandem - one popper pops in on one side of the cup, trying to get the players in the cup to bunch up and create a gap on the opposite side of the cup wall, which the second popper then runs in to.

Deeps didn't really do much, but then, in my experience, deeps never really have to.

If your team is new, and playing people who are roughly on their level, then the best tactic for you would be getting your group of kiddies to handle more confidently and to be patient, because to beat a zone really all anyone has to do is be patient and keep moving the disc.

Real game experience is the best teacher, but lacking that, just simulate it with your team.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
ax

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »

If you have good deeps, they will be doing something. They can draw away defenders, switch places with the poppers, act as a continuation...For example, we have one play where the poppers cut deep and the deeps come in, confusing the defense and providing open players that the short deep isn't anticipating since both poppers are moving away. Sometimes they can play back up to the poppers. Also, depending on just how windy and the direction of the wind, hucks and even semi-long throws can go up.
oshep

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 01:53:18 AM »

Joe,

talk to Tania and Basil who did the Level 1 coaching course. It included 3 drills for zone offense.

Tactics, coaching and fun at http://thinkulti.blogspot.com
Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:00:36 PM »

Already done, Owen.  I did it as soon as they got back. Smiley
It's a real pity I couldn't make it... hopefully the next one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese