UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 18, 2019, 05:12:30 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: National Allocations  (Read 24195 times)
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »

North 1
South 4
East 6
West 1
NZ 1

Well this definitely spices things up for the North, considering Firestorm had every intention of putting in two teams this year plus I'm pretty sure there is interest from Townsville and potentially Byron and the Gold Coast. This also makes Regionals very interesting with Firestorm potentially needing to stack a team to secure the single spot rather than go with two development teams.

How are things looking in other regions?

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:24:30 PM »

The 2 wildcards are allocated to regions with high regional attendance so 1 will probably go to QLD. The other will probably go to the Eastern region, Canberra + Sydney will probably make up 10+ teams.

Any word on whether NZ is interested?

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:19:53 AM »

With Worlds coming up I imagine they are.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:27 AM »

Hmm...

North - Firestorm
South - Chilly, HOS, Karma, Hot Chilly
East - Fakulti T, Fakulti U, Barefoot, whatever Newcastle call themselves this year, Fyshwick United and oh let's say Manly
West - Sublime
NZ - Eric Gross & The Supremes

AFDA spot goes to Hills (being hosts). Firestorm B to get a wildcard, and South trumps East for the 2nd wildcard because no one from Sydney knows where Orange is, let alone wants to go there. Tassie gets the spot.

1. Fakulti Dowle
2. Chilly (Troy Booth pulls a hammie in the half time doolio and still beats Jangles)
3. Barefoot
4. Fakulti Gardner (chokes on double game point after Pete doesn't see Kenny G long because he didn't recognise him without the hair)
5. Sublime
6. Firestorm (miss semis after Matzuka does an ACL during a goal celebration. Pottsy immediately retires)
7. Heads Of State
8. Newcastle
9. New Zealand (controversially misses the top crossover pools after losing to Fakulti Gardner on double game point when Wazza Shepherd gets a foot block, throws a no look scoober on a greatest play that macks off a defender and he catches himself, claiming a callahan, that John Greenfield claims never happened because he didn't see it)
10. Fyshwick United (would have made quarters if John Horan didn't finally lose the plot at Chumpcott for yet another hammer throwaway)
11. Karma (beats Firestorm B after being down 12-7 at time cap. Firestorm B vow to stick together till they either win World Clubs or Chris Cunliffe finishes uni - whatever happens first)
12. Firestorm B
13. Chilly B
14. Hills (even with a squad 28 men strong, Hills can't quite beat Chilly B whose youngest rookie is 24 years old. Simmo and Bozza finally have their long awaited showdown, which results in both men being stretchered off with broken ribs approximately 45 seconds into the game)
15. Tassie Tiggers
16. Manly

You heard it here first, kids.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:35:42 AM by simmo » Logged

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »

Hey Simmo - don't forget the Australian Masters (the Emus?) team is apparently looking to go to Nationals via Easterns.  So maybe delete Manly, or Fyshwick (because they won't have Leon and DJ, who've been carrying that lot for years now).

Assuming the Ibuprofen supply holds out, they'll be disappointed to not make the top 10 at Coffs.

I also expect Tassie to roll Hills.  Go Tiggers.

And surprised you think you and Boz will last 45 seconds.  Surely you'll both be too hung over to get out of bed, let alone get to the fields.  Smiley

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:49:16 AM »

Hey Simmo - don't forget the Australian Masters (the Emus?) team is apparently looking to go to Nationals via Easterns.

...and South trumps East for the 2nd wildcard because no one from Sydney knows where Orange is, let alone wants to go there.

And surprised you think you and Boz will last 45 seconds.  Surely you'll both be too hung over to get out of bed, let alone get to the fields.
45 seconds was a very conservative guess as to how long it would take whoever was on D to actually get to the other one after the first pull.

JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »

...and South trumps East for the 2nd wildcard because no one from Sydney knows where Orange is, let alone wants to go there.

Then again, some Melbournites might need some directions to find Adelaide Wink

I guess for both Easterns and Southerns, its "Go west young man".

Don't forget, as you drive by Orange Base Hospital, you can take a shot of Jaegermeister and acknowledge the place of my birth.

45 seconds was a very conservative guess as to how long it would take whoever was on D to actually get to the other one after the first pull.
Especially when you're both staggering sideways most of the time.

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 02:02:59 AM »

I have heard rumours of Fak going A/B, not X/Y this year. My source, an unnamed Fak player, just has a 'feeling' about this.

And sorry to dissappoint Pissy but Bags (John Horan) won't be able to get shitty at Chumpy at Nationals. He did is ACL at mixed nationals and won't be on a frisbee field until the end of the year. Goes into surgery on 14th of Feb.

Also, FU will be sending two teams to regionals, A/B split and qualifying with both.

Getting exciting about the upcoming open season. Got some scalps to collect Smiley

-Tom
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »

Yep, X and Y teams are so yesterday - that's why Fak are dumping them, and FU and Firestorm are taking them up.

X and Y sounds great for 'development' by putting weaker players with stronger players so that they can learn from them and fostering local regular scrimmaging, but it also means that the weaker players just spend even more time on the beach, as in both X and Y teams the best players play.

If you're a developing player, you'll get more field time and exposure to quality competition, if you're on a B team where you don't have a heap of old hands hogging the field and disc.  And you'll still keep learning from the oldies who can't hack it physically on the A team but still know how to play.

Now that I've argued you to a standstill on this - let me say that I'd always advocate altering back and forth.  One year you have the Club play A team and B team, the following year you play X team and Y team.  This builds the bonds within your Club, and builds some success through your A team, personal striving when people want to get from B to A, while still getting everyone to play across with people across the Club in the X and Y time.

timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »

So anyone know what Chilly are doing this year?

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:12:35 PM »

Come one timill, you're the melbournite, shouldn't you have a better idea of whats happening? Tongue

I suspect Chilly will have their regular A/B and the Gak will show up and play half of nationals, while 2004 dingos harang him to come play worlds

FU isn't X/Ying for nats, just the first tournament.

Orange and Coffs...nice long drives for the canberra kids.

I want another tournament before nationals....why didn't you pikers (obviously not the Qlder's) support the firestorm invitation!

Maybe another weekend there

-Tom

ps: posting my 2008 dingos squad on friday night.. Wink
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

So anyone know what Chilly are doing this year?
X/Y up until Nats I believe is the current plan. Can't say for certain though.

JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:58 PM »

If anyone is thinking of X/Y at Regionals and then trying to A/B at Nationals, make sure you look very closely at the rules relating to rostering for Regionals and Nationals.  I haven't got them right here.

timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 03:23:14 AM »

I want another tournament before nationals....why didn't you pikers (obviously not the Qlder's) support the firestorm invitation!

There is one being planned in Melbourne, an open and womens tourny.

simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:19 PM »

If anyone is thinking of X/Y at Regionals and then trying to A/B at Nationals, make sure you look very closely at the rules relating to rostering for Regionals and Nationals.  I haven't got them right here.
Chilly did it fine last year. Their X/Y split for Regionals was one team had the top 25% and bottom 25%, and the other had the 50% in between. So one team had 50% who were A-team anyway, and the other had 50% who were B-team anyway, so they only shifted a handful of players between the teams.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese