UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. August 23, 2019, 04:57:07 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: National Allocations  (Read 24709 times)
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »

If anyone is thinking of X/Y at Regionals and then trying to A/B at Nationals, make sure you look very closely at the rules relating to rostering for Regionals and Nationals.  I haven't got them right here.

I checked that rule - see section 7 of http://www.afda.com/policies/national_championships_policy_v6.pdf

If you play for a team (not club) at Regionals, and that team qualifies for Nationals, you must play for that team.

The only exception to that is if your club has two teams at Regionals, and both qualify for Nationals, in which case up to three players of the same strength may be swapped.  This must be approved by the other Captains at Regionals.

So its seems pretty much that if you go A/B or X/Y to Regionals, you'll have to take pretty much the same split to Nationals.

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »

What are the dates for the melbourne thing then?

-Tom
mattdowle
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »

Simmo - so are you saying Chilly did wrong by us all last year at Nats? Because the rules were the same. I'm sure they went AB at regionals - but I wasn't there
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 07:31:44 AM »

Simmo - so are you saying Chilly did wrong by us all last year at Nats? Because the rules were the same. I'm sure they went AB at regionals - but I wasn't there

Is this the beginning of the end for the mutual bond of respect and love shared between members of Chilly and Fakulti?

Gasp!

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »

I honestly don't know for sure. I'm only making educated guesses.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Frank

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 11:44:01 PM »

Chilly was A/B at regionals I'm pretty sure, from memory.
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 01:17:33 AM »

If anyone is thinking of X/Y at Regionals and then trying to A/B at Nationals, make sure you look very closely at the rules relating to rostering for Regionals and Nationals.  I haven't got them right here.

I checked that rule - see section 7 of http://www.afda.com/policies/national_championships_policy_v6.pdf

If you play for a team (not club) at Regionals, and that team qualifies for Nationals, you must play for that team.

The only exception to that is if your club has two teams at Regionals, and both qualify for Nationals, in which case up to three players of the same strength may be swapped.  This must be approved by the other Captains at Regionals.

So its seems pretty much that if you go A/B or X/Y to Regionals, you'll have to take pretty much the same split to Nationals.

Posting again just because someone asked me "why is this" via email ...

The results from Regionals are used to determine the seeding for Nationals.  The Nationals seeding policy is over at afda.com (I can't get at it right now), but these days its an 'objective process' that takes something like results from last year (and perhaps the year before - can't remember), plus results from regionals, to determine seeding.  (So for example, if the third best team from the South region came 10th at the previous Nationals, and you come 3rd at Southern regionals this year, you will probably be seeded at 10).

This would all be ballsed up if teams changed considerably from Regionals to Nationals.  If you took X/Y to Regionals and came 2nd and 3rd, but then went to Nationals with A/B teams, then the A team would probably be seeded too low, and the B team seeded too high.  It would be unfair to other teams where their seeding is the result of their play at Regionals.

But check the policy.

This seeding policy is in contrast to the past where some lucky fools put their hands up to do it subjectively, or where captains argued over it.

Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »

the things that gets me is if a club fields 2 teams X/Y and only one gets in suddenly you get a much stronger team heading to nationals. However their seeding will be somewhere low probably double figures.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »

the things that gets me is if a club fields 2 teams X/Y and only one gets in suddenly you get a much stronger team heading to nationals. However their seeding will be somewhere low probably double figures.
Well I think that is the point of the policy - you have to take essentially the same team from Regionals to Nationals. So if you are referring to Firestorm, then if one of the Firestorm teams miss out, Firestorm won't be stacking the one team that is going... and to be completely honest Firestorm is in the precarious position where we will be sending two teams to Regionals that really do have the chance of losing to some of the other QLD teams that will be attending if they have an off day. I'm actually quite nervous about regionals.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
JMc
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 01:27:40 AM »

I'm actually quite nervous about regionals.
[/quote]

Way to show the boys some confidence, Chris... you never thought we were gonna lose down 9-14 to Fakulti, but you're scared about getting smacked up by Byron/Townsville/whoever else comes along...*

Lift your game, big fella. I've got no intention of having only one Firestorm team at Nats.

*No offence meant to Byron/Townsville/whoever... I'm aware that Byron will have probably their strongest team ever... but I still intend that both Firestorm teams will beat them.
Robbie

Australia Australia

Life is a game, Frisbee is Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 01:55:59 AM »

At least chris didn't dro any pulls  Roll Eyes

Model Inc. SAFDA open champions 2005, 2006 and 2007!
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

J Mac, you know me better than that... I'm a very arrogant guy I back myself against pretty much anyone on the day. I'm just merely sharing the fact that I'm not approaching the upcoming Regional qualifications lightly, and I actually think Firestorm will genuinely have to earn their two spots this year, as opposed to cruising at Regionals last year.

At least chris didn't dro any pulls  Roll Eyes
I can assure you I can drop a pull like the best of them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:27:08 PM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »

up to three players of the same strength may be swapped.

This seems like a rediculously subjective clause, especially given the nature of the sport in regards to imports. My next question was who decides but I'm guessing it would be the other captains. Even so, there is no way they could be sure the swap is legit, as they may not know either player!

Congratulations to Chris for trimming his essays down to short stanzas. Proud Day.

P.s I hope that the Byron team thumps firestorm. Well, actually just the firestorm team that Jmac is playing on.....

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »

P.s I hope that the Byron team thumps firestorm. Well, actually just the firestorm team that Jmac is playing on.....

hehe ill have to play on the other one then coz i am definitely going to nationals. Judging by the level at training i dont think we will have too much of a problem getting to nats once there i am more concerned. But then again i was concerned last year and we chumped some team... i think they were called HOS and beat fakulti. Bring on the smack.
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 01:20:42 AM »

HOS finished 7th, where did Firestorm finish?? Champ!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese