UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 15, 2018, 05:30:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Facebook Connect! UltiTalk is now connected to Facebook for added social networking features.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Layout protection  (Read 53014 times)
dsimpson12

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 08:34:09 PM »

I don't like the on/off switch either, its part of the "give 110% every time" mentality. Besides in a tournament every game matters. A former teammate used to do something in warmups to get things going. Before every game he would make a point to layout in warmups, sometimes slowing down to create the distance needed for a layout. This accomplishes two things 1) gets you past the mental block of the layout and 2) psyches up the rest of the team for the game ahead.

That being said another former teammate injured himself in practice/warmups. Broke his wrist laying out in practice. Then his first tournament back he broke his other wrist warming up for the first game! Though he had terrible form; rolled his hands under to break his fall and wrists.

Take home messages, give your best every time, get psyched up, learn proper form.
Gabe

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »

Accessories are one of my favorite things, and forearm shivers, made for playing football on turf fields, work great in ultimate. You don't want them with any padding, because as people said, they will mess with your throws. UnderArmour makes shivers which are just skin tight sleeves with come from your wrist up above your elbow. They don't move around, and spare your elbows the scraping of laying out on dry ground. http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens/accessories/protective-gear/football/pid8000033-HeatGear-Forearm-Shiver/8000033-600

I've never had any abrasion on my knees. Hips used to bother me, but wearing a skin tight layer beneath your jersey helps a lot. My elbows would be constantly chewed up before I found the shivers, however. Only downside is you get funny tan lines.
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 05:31:45 PM »

Prrft, layout protection means you don'y get those sexy looking grazes that only other ultimate players find hot...
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »

Prrft, layout protection means you don'y get those sexy looking grazes that only other ultimate players find hot...
Gref - I hear Amart Allsports have a new range of finger guards. You should invest in some for layout protection.

Cheesy

*Note - for those that don't know Gref broke his finger laying out for a disc...!

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
FarmerJohn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »

Gosh, what are they teaching at UQ nowadays?! Brett's gone so they don't learn how to layout OR be obnoxious?!

My how times have changed. Cheesy

My assorted ultimate thoughts - farmerulti.blogspot.com
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 06:21:46 AM »

After Nationals I am now very confused on if I need anything or not. Going ho into the mud has screwed my perception of landing on grass damn it... Until League anyway...

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
Granty

New Zealand New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 06:57:21 AM »

3 Things:

1. Land and slide on your chest.   Play a bit of volleyball, those guys know how to layout proper, watch and copy.  Given that some fields are dry in Oz... perhaps you should practise in NZ for a bit.  I'm sure Vancouver will be just awesome.

2. I've seen some sports people wear skin tight leggings and long-sleve shirts. I'm sure under-armour or relevant sports manufacturers make these.  But they would probably make you a bit warmer, and slide heaps easier on the grass (ahem, i mean dirt in oz, hehe).

3. Played any soccer?  Have you noticed what the goalkeepers wear?  No i don't mean those gloves, but their SHIRTS have padding sewn into the elbows, and their SHORTS have padding sewn into the hip area... not sure the cost, but prob about AU$40 would get you a pair of those shorts?

I used to play cricket and got mega grazes on the elbows, hips and knees... but after playing ultimate, one of the first things i learnt was to lay-out proper... i don't know if that skill is in the ultimate books that are floating around, but it damn well should be!
rrudnic

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »

wear under armor type shirts and compression shorts you tear a hole in them no biggie you go get a new one at wally world for like $8
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »

Yeah, I'm starting to get back into the feel of things. Layouts are becoming more natural again not really thinking about it.
My shoulder is feeling good which means my form is fine, lol.

I will probably end up just using tape to cover any graze areas, but who knows.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 03:45:01 AM »

Just don't worry about it. No tournament is long enough that you get too cut up, even if you are making bids all the time, unless you are playing on broken glass.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:02 AM »

Haha. Yeah.
But we do play something like 13 games or something at worlds and judging on my performance at Youth nats I think im just going to have to tape up my hip. That should be about it. I can just wear a sweat band for my arm.

Just grazes. Nothing more. Nothing less.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 08:13:15 PM »

suck it up lex...thats your answer Smiley
Tenk283

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 08:14:17 PM »

Having seen you layout lex, your form is pretty good.

You keep your legs up and take the hit on your body rather than arms. So in this case, I agree with maple.

Quote from: Buttons
How bout a glass of cement and harden the fuck up.

(If you need clarification on this, just ask Buttons)

Anyway, I have never seen a layout graze that has stopped someone from playing. It would have to be one hell of a graze (ie, the type you get when you stack your pushie doing 30k's down a hill) to prevent most players from retaking the field. If you ever have to handle, Australia is certainly in the shit. So it shouldn't effect you too much. Unless you have problems regrazing the spot.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2008, 11:43:51 PM »

Yeah, from my orginal question it was due to the January camp for Juniors.
Worst ground ever. Well, not ever but it was pretty bad.

I lay'd a lot and as a result crap grounds my elbow was getting to the point of almost seeing bone.
Even ask Piers.

But since I've gotten back into the grove just before worlds I think that not much is needed. Just the tape so I can have a shower at the end of the day and not yell due to stinging Wink

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
bullet_cale

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 01:09:28 AM »

I've learned from sliding in various forms in baseball over the years some tips that have worked well when laying out in ultimate.

If you realize you're going to land on your hip, try to get your lower thigh in line w/ your body (Knee can be bent, just keep hip and thigh in line). In that position the muscle isn't flexed/stretched in anyway, and provides a little bit of protection, and won't pull if you roll or slide awkwardly.

If you are going to land on your shoulder, keep your arm directly underneath your body, or straight over head. Pretty much for the same reason as before.

Hope these help.

"You must become one with the grass."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese