UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 11:37:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: City rankings  (Read 43851 times)
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »

I suspect it has more to do with the number of high placings a city gets. e.g. Sydney got 5 teams in the top 8 at mixed nats, whereas Brissie just had 1
Of course I have no idea and could be wrong Smiley
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 09:14:19 PM »

I have to agree with JMac, I was very surprised last time when we were number 1, but after Brisbane's recent Mixed year, for once was thinking we were number 1 on your list hands down.  Don't exactly remember the algorithm you use, but with Sydney getting a lot of middle spots could up their points quickly i assume.  Other htan that, you must change your weightings everytime you run it, lessening the weight of previous events and giving more to more recent.  Anyways, it is cool to see some quantitative analysis done for ulty, so keep it up!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »

I suspect it has more to do with the number of high placings a city gets. e.g. Sydney got 5 teams in the top 8 at mixed nats, whereas Brissie just had 1
Of course I have no idea and could be wrong Smiley
You're right on the money Rach. Sydney's poor showing at Mixed Nats 06 (3 teams, highest place was 9th I think) gave them a lower ranking, while Brisbane had two in the top 10. Whereas this year Sydney had 9 teams (with 5 in the top Cool and Brisbane had two again (1st and 21st).

Quote from: ulty_arnie
Other htan that, you must change your weightings everytime you run it, lessening the weight of previous events and giving more to more recent.
Yep. Only 50% of 2006 points and 25% of 2005 points go towards the total. Once 2008 ticks over it'll become 100% of 2008, 50% of 2007 and 25% of 2006.

Next year I'll be including more tournaments that attract traveling teams, such as Halibut, Shenanigans and Stampede.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
ulty_arnie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 03:07:07 AM »

Awesome, that is good stuff Pissy!
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 04:24:24 AM »

What about spirit rankings... Only way we'd see bathurst anywhere near the top Wink
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 10:42:18 AM »

Or in terms of the party....

Good idea, Simmo. I understand the bias in 'why this tournament, but not that?' style of argument but the fact remains, if any university/state/city is serious about its Ultimate - or really likes getting drunk - Halibut or the Stampede, definitely contenders. I mean, honestly, I knew nobody in the Ultimate community before the 2007 Stampede. Now look at me, I have enemies from coast to coast - if that's not a clear indication of the high level of such tournies, then what is?

T.
ps the best thing I ever did was go to the Stampede... I got held against the wall by SUUFA, flashed by Mac, beaten by Newcastle/Sydney, shut down Chris Warris (although as I understand he hadn't slept/was still drunk) I can't wait until next year!

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Robbie

Australia Australia

Life is a game, Frisbee is Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 08:17:30 PM »

Wouldn't the spirit rankings just be the other rankings in reverse?

Model Inc. SAFDA open champions 2005, 2006 and 2007!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 12:51:29 AM »

Wouldn't the spirit rankings just be the other rankings in reverse?
Hmm...a spirit skeptic are we, Robbie?

Sublime won spirit at 06 Mixed Nats and finished 3rd overall. Fakulti won spirit at WUCC, finishing 6th (?) out of 21. Spider Pig won both spirit and overall at NSWMUC this year. It's not always the chump teams that win spirit  Grin

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 06:56:38 PM »

Just to clarify simmo, it was Pie Wagon that won both the tournament and spirit at the NSWMUC. Barefoot came 2nd in spirit and 3rd overall at nationals.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »

Correct if I am wrong too, but didn't Ballarat Uni tie for the spirit prize at AUG's??

Spirit isn't about giving max points to teams that aren't great at Ultimate.

To me, spirit is about trying the hardest and giving props to people doing awesome things. It's about playing for the love of the game, not just to win.

I'd rather lose a competitive game then win a white-wash.
wetnose

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2007, 11:24:48 PM »

At Halibut 2007, Pie Wagon won the tournament and spirit from memory.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 05:22:17 AM »

Spirit isn't about giving max points to teams that aren't great at Ultimate.

Classic example: NUFL1 in Sydney. Don't know if you juniors with your goldfish memories remember back that far, Robbie, but Firestorm vs Fakulti game had 10 spirit all round.

I dare you to say that either teams are chumps.

Spirit is about respecting the game and its players - not making dodgy calls, appreciating wikkid bids or throws (regardless of which team they come from) and that great feeling you get at the end of a well-Spirited game, win or lose, when everyone circles up and the loser team can't think of what to say because the game was just enjoyable, irrespective of the outcome.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Robbie

Australia Australia

Life is a game, Frisbee is Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »

And where did Panic! at the Disc Finish at youth nats spirit wise? Grin As for my previous post...i was attempting humor but failed once again. However thats usually the way it works in SA...Fury always come last in spirit because we win everything...go figure (MIXED LEAGUE FINALS TOMORROW!)

Model Inc. SAFDA open champions 2005, 2006 and 2007!
Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 08:48:52 PM »

Fury always come last in spirit because we win everything...go figure

As has been demonstrated by other people here, it is quite possible to win everything AND win spirit.
Do you think that, possibly, coming last in spirit might have something to do with some other factors?  Like, maybe, chill out a little?
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 09:32:11 PM »

Fury always come last in spirit because we win everything
I doubt that's the reason.

-edit- or I could've just read Joe's post

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese