UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 10:43:46 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Are you a minimalist?  Try the UltiTalk Simple Theme by changing your Current Theme.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Disc Maintenance  (Read 11311 times)
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:15 AM »

Okay, so, I have this disc that I discovered weeding today. Presumably I've thrown it into the garden weeks/months ago and forgotten all about it. Originally white, it was half black and encrusted with soil.

I put it in a bucket of hot water and scrubbed the dirt off it. I got thinking about maintaining a disc. I heard talk of some rumour about how to un-taco a disc, where you fill it full of water and microwave it for 30 seconds... can anyone confirm? Also, friends of mine who throw theirs on concrete have been known to lightly sand the edges so they don't start bleeding trying to catch the rough edges one handed.

So how about it? Anyone else got any disc maintenance tips/horror stories?

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 03:06:23 AM »

A regular Buds House initiative for taco'ed discs was to put them in the dishwasher for a cycle. Worked a treat.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:36:04 AM »

Ahhhhhh, nice topic Tiger.  BTW, before I give my 2 cents, was that you I saw on BlockStack's #3 episode?  I can only presume so seeing that 1) his name was Tiger, 2) he was from Aus and 3) he had flaming red hair like you.   Wink

Anyway, on to disc maintenance.  I can't confirm anything about how to un-taco a tacoed disc.  In the past I've just put the disc on a hard flat surface and placed weight on the appropriate edges in attempt to flatten it down.  I will have to try the dishwasher idea posted by simmo, which you might do as well Tiger.  At the very least it will return your blackened disc to white-ish once again.  Smiley

I can comment on the rough edges though.  No doubt we've all had a "road disc" in our possession at one one time or another.  You know, the one you pull out at the gas station at 2am on your way to a tourney.  Toss it around with your mates, and who cares if it slides upon the ground once or twice...it's a roadie!  Side note - Version plastic, on the other hand, is sacred and should never be used upon man-made earth.  Nothing pains me more than to see a nice, new disc hit concrete for the first time.  Sad indeed.

Anyway, I digress.  Those rough and sharp edges can be killer to the fingers.  But there is hope my friends.  A good mate and Aussie player named Abra showed me these techniques oh so long ago:

• For relatively minor scrapes and gashes, simply use your fingernail as a type of plane or file.  Grab the disc and run your thumbnail over these areas to "shave" off the gouged plastic bits.  A great method in the heat of the moment, when no other tools are available.

• When the "knife" cuts too deep, you'll need more than a fingernail to save the day.  Enter Beavis' favorite word: FIRE!  Now, before you try what I'm about to share, please note that this skill definitely takes some practice, so don't try it first on your favorite, yet weathered, disc from 10 years ago.  Wink

First, grab yourself a trusty lighter.  Any ol' lighter will do, as long as it's easy to light over and over again, and easy to maintain a flame at various angles without burning any of yo fingas.  The goal here is to warm (not melt) the damaged area to the point of mold-ability.  When you have successfully done this by holding the lighter the right distance away for the right amount of time, you'll be able to "reshape" and smooth out the sharp edges back flat again.  You'll have to act fast though, because you obviously have a small window of time before the plastic cools back down.  Simply press, tap and squeeze the appropriate areas as soon as the plastic is warm enough.  Viola!  Cuts be gone!

When you have failed to hold the lighter the right distance and right amount of time, however, you will either not warm the plastic enough or worse you will melt the plastic.  And when you melt the plastic, two things will happen.  1) You will blacken the plastic and leave unsightly black marks on your disc, and even worse 2) you'll burn the heck out of your fingers when you attempt to re-mold the disc.  The plastic will stick to your fingers, not only ruining your repair attempts but also your pretty little digits.  OUCH!

Keep in mind neither of these repair jobs can return a disc to it's perfect state, but they will save you and your friends some nicks and cuts, as well as earning you some kudo points (of which the ladies (or boyz) might find impressive.)   Roll Eyes

"Pardon me darlin, mind if I get my fingers on your ... disc?"

"You're my hero!"  Kiss

On this same topic, I had a inventive epiphany many years back.  I thought about developing small, rubber rim cap that could be placed on a disc's rim.  This would save the disc from receiving any cuts when landing upon the road.  Buy a 10-pack of these disposable caps (affectionately called "Rim-Jobs") and you'd be good to go.  Then, intelligence got the better of me, and I realized this product would be a complete waste of time because 1) who would bother and 2) disc's are relatively cheap anyway.

Enjoy, and thank Abra for this advice when you see him on the pitch next...

- Sep #22
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:42:38 AM by Seppo » Logged

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
raymie_y

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »

Here was a sure-fire way to reform discs to their original shape:

Put the disc on a flat surface such as the back shelf in your car on a warm day. For rough edges on the disc, I use a fine grain sandpaper to get the burrs out. I also do this for new discs to ensure that there are no flaws or errand plastic shavings.

I have not tried the dishwasher or the microwave but I will try this on an old disc first.

-Raymie

When in doubt, the hammer is always a good choice.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36:14 AM »

I'm with Seppo on the using fingernails to clean a disc up. I just don't like the way a disc feels after you have sanded it down, and I honestly think you can feel the weight difference after you have sanded the disc a couple of times.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese