UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 21, 2019, 11:43:33 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Intercept Rule  (Read 15217 times)
hemcla

Canada Canada

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:20:24 AM »

The following happened during a scrimmage:

A player from the black team threw the disc.
A player from the white team ran to intercept it.
The player from the white team managed to intercept the pass cleanly.
He distinctly, clearly, and cleanly caught the disc as opposed to 'blocking' it but while still in stride (and well before anyone would have had the inclination to call him for 'traveling') he dropped the disc realizing he would rather continue his run and have someone else throw the disc.

Is that a legal maneuvre?

Have I explained it clearly?

Thanks in advance.
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:42:09 AM »

Seems legal to me hemcla, but alas it's a turnover.

The player from the white team caught the disc, thus taking possession of it.  It's therefore a change of possession from the dark team to the white team.  But, the same player proceeded to drop (or by the sounds of it, lay down) the disc b/c he didn't want to handle it.  Once he does this possession of the disc then reverts back to the dark team.

My take on it anyway, unless I'm missing something...

What do the Aussies have to say?

- Seppo #22

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
rjhberg

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:44:50 AM »

I agree with Seppo. Turn over.

gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:48:13 AM »

I see no difference in this, than in the time when I got a sweet d at bpl, faked a flick, and it flew off my hand because of sweat.

Cry

Turn over.
hemcla

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:56:32 AM »

(Seppo & rjhberg) I think the terminology is confusing me. You say it's legal, but that would mean that it's a legal interception-then-block and thus turnover. But if it's a turnover why does black regain posession.

Or, if black regains posession, why is it called a turnover and why is it legal?

(gref) First, I'm new and don't know what 'bpl' means, but assuming I understand your situation - wouldn't the difference be that when you faked the flick you had your pivot foot established? Whereas in the situation I'm describing the defender was still in stride, still running.
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 03:05:04 AM »

If he stopped rotation of the disc. He caught it, then dropped it.

Therefore it is a turnover to the team that originally had the disc.

(BPL is a local league)
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:10:26 AM »

Hemcla the situation you have described is a turnover.

Although I admit to doing this in my first league games because I didn't know how to forehand. Generally my team was way too excited that I got D to notice that I actually caught the blocks then threw them away.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
frisbone

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:52:55 PM »

Catching the disc is a sure way to keep the disc down rather than blocking it. If you catch it you can also center it to a handler. Unless you have noooo throws at all. Like Beau. That's right I said it.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »

I see no difference in this, than in the time when I got a sweet d at bpl, faked a flick, and it flew off my hand because of sweat.
There is a subtle difference, in the original example given by hemcla the player obviously didn't understand the rules clearly, where as in your case you are just retarded!

(Seppo & rjhberg) I think the terminology is confusing me. You say it's legal, but that would mean that it's a legal interception-then-block and thus turnover. But if it's a turnover why does black regain posession.

Or, if black regains posession, why is it called a turnover and why is it legal?
I think what Seppo meant was the interception was legal, but as you intercept the disc (and by that I mean catch it rather than block it) you instantly have gained possesion, I'm not certain but the defensive player intercepting the disc may not gain "possession of the disc" if they are ground stripped after they have intercepted the disc (ie, when you land after catching the disc you drop it).

Anyway, if a defensive players gains possession, through an interception, they then can't drop the disc to the ground because this would be considered a turnover because the disc has hit the ground whilst they are in possession of it. Where as if they block the disc rather than catch it whilst trying to make an interception it isn't a turnover and anyone from the defensive team may pick up the disc and proceed to play offense.

All in all, the defensive player did the right thing catching the disc rather than just blocking it (on defense you should almost always catch it if possible). They just need to learn to keep a hold of it and dump it next time rather than drop it.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
hemcla

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:36:31 PM »

Thanks Chris, that's much clearer.

Although, in light of what's been written, I don't think this is going to make a difference; I originally meant to write that the defensive player 'put down' the disc after intercepting it as opposed to dropping it. I was trying to emphasize that when he dropped the disc he was doing so deliberately - not because he was clumsy or what not.

The defensive player, I thought, rules aside, was pretty clever, he was the player the closest to the end zone and he figured it was better to continue to run towards the end zone and somebody throw to him rather than set a pivot foot and wait for his teammates to overlap.

But I now know it's an illegal move.

Thanks to all,

HC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese