UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 17, 2019, 07:08:28 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Are you a minimalist?  Try the UltiTalk Simple Theme by changing your Current Theme.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Callahan off the pull?  (Read 17759 times)
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »

What about the offensive team scoring off a particularly bad pull?  It goes up, floats around, but the wind blows it straight back toward the puller's own endzone, and someone from the O team runs down and catches the pull in their target endzone.  Is that a score?

Its a bit snarky to say, but why not look the rules up?  If you're posting so that everyone will know the question and answer, why not post the answer as well?

But anyway, check out rule 8.7 - No player on the defensive team may touch the disc after the pull until a member of the Offensive team contacts the disc or the disc hits the ground.

Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »

Yes Jason, I've read the rules but I don't think it's clear on this point.  It doesn't specify what happens if an offensive player catches the disc off the pull in their target goal area (that I can find). 

As for rule 8.7, it does say no defensive player can touch the disc before an offensive player does, but what happens if that rule is broken?  Even accidentally?

It's a freak occurence, but I did see it happen once in a beginner league here in Hobart.  one player pulled, another player sprinted down the field trying to mark up on his player as soon as possible and he didn't keep track of the disc at all.  It wasn't a great pull, went off to the side, floated a bit, then came down and hit the running defender on the hip.  Now, he's just broken rule 8.7, but no where does it give a penalty for this rule infraction.
Timmy D

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

Rule 8.7 - No player on the defensive team may touch the disc after the pull until a member of the Offensive team contacts the disc or the disc hits the ground.

So, as long as the defense pulls it in-bounds then the defense can pick up the disc and commence play without the offense ever touching it Smiley i.e. you can drop the disc at your feet, as the pull, and then pick it up again and play on.

I'm skimming the rules to find something that specifically says the offense has to pick up the disc, but that only seems to be the case if the disc goes out-of-bounds...
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »

Yes Jason, I've read the rules but I don't think it's clear on this point.  It doesn't specify what happens if an offensive player catches the disc off the pull in their target goal area (that I can find). 

... but what happens if that rule is broken?  Even accidentally?

There's the obvious "the rules can't specify every eventuality" of course.

In trying to interpret, note that the various "routine eventualities" detailed in s8-The Pull 8.9-8.12 point to how the disc is put into play. 

Then go look at s9-Putting the Disc Into Play makes reference to the Offensive Player, in particular 9.3 "After the Pull ... the offensive player who caught the disc or first established possession of the disc must put the disc into play."

Also, although it doesn't fit precisely to this example, the definition of Pull in the definitions appendix B references it being a throw "from one team to the other" that starts play.

It think it fits to say the Pulling team remains the defensive team (and doesn't get a chance to become the offensive team via the usual methods) until after the member of the offensive team has put the disc into play.

Hence, the Pulling team can't catch and score a callahan, catch or pick up from the ground and put the disc into play, or otherwise become the offensive team, until after the other team, the one receiving the pull has put the disc into play.

Short version - when the pulling team gets in the way (by design or accident) of the receiving team receiving the disc so that it can put it into play, the Pull isn't complete, so replay it.

Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »

Short version - when the pulling team gets in the way (by design or accident) of the receiving team receiving the disc so that it can put it into play, the Pull isn't complete, so replay it.

Yes.  This is the conclusion I came to.  When something happens that is not covered in the rules (or when two captains can't agree on the covering in the rules), the last throw is replayed.
So in my hypothetical situation about the pull coming back to the defense's endzone, I still maintain that the defensive team can try to go for the disc, assuming that if they do touch it first, the pull will have to be retaken.  Hence, disagreeing with Jangles assertation that it would be "the easiest uncontested goal you would ever catch".
But I'm still not sure what would happen if Offense did manage to catch the disc in the end-zone, whether it would be a goal, or take it back to the field-of-play proper and play from there.
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »

I guess through the discussion we've established (in contrast to my earlier posting at least suggesting the go back to the line and play on) that it'd be a repull, because the pull from one team to the other and the other team putting the disc into play hadn't occured.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese