UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. October 19, 2019, 10:35:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a US-style Callahan award  (Read 18031 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:09:38 PM »

If I haven't made it obvious enough already, I'm soon to be officially appointed as National Universities Coordinator.

I've been throwing around ideas in my head on how to generate more interest and excitement in the uni ultimate scene. On my blog I mused about a uni ultimate "triple crown"-style series where there are four tournaments throughout the year (not counting AUG) that count towards the title. As JdR correctly point out, that's exactly what Walkabout is.

The other idea I had was ripping off the Callahan award from the States. Basically it is a popular vote award for the best player (one male, one female) in college ultimate. So this thread is for some brainstorming...

• Name of the award
  • Criteria (Australian resident, etc.)
  • How it is decided (popular vote, judging panel)
  • When/how it is awarded (eg: voted on and awarded at AUG, voting online and awarded at AUG)

Personal view: I'd like to see this award go to a player who hasn't played Nationals before, akin to the NAB Rising Star award in AFL. The process I'd use is that a panel (maybe of all state uni coords) would nominate six (or whatever) male and female players, then a popular vote leading up to and during AUG, and then crowning the winner after the AUG final. This would mean that new talent would be recognised (a nomination alone would be seen as prestigious) and hopefully encourage those players to go on to play Nationals, and would also recognise year-long effort, not just AUG performance.

Thoughts/comments?

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »

well i like the idea of the of the triple crown series but the problem lies in your participants. I have a hard time tell people that awesome tournie AUG will cost about $1000 once you include airfares to melbourne the rego accom and the unis cut plus food and DRINK. If you start having more tournies there is gonna be no student who can afford that even if it is only like $500 per event. You could cost share it but from my experience that is very difficult and time consuming for the organisation staff.

As for the award i do think it is a good idea but ill leave that up to others to make any constructive comments about.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »

...even if it is only like $500 per event.
Are you catching taxis there? I paid less than $500 to go to both Stampede and Shenanigans last year.

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 04:04:42 AM »

I've been throwing around ideas in my head on how to generate more interest and excitement in the uni ultimate scene. On my blog I mused about a uni ultimate "triple crown"-style series where there are four tournaments throughout the year (not counting AUG) that count towards the title. As JdR correctly point out, that's exactly what Walkabout is.
I think AUG has to count in any uni award, otherwise the award will always be one that is competing with rather than complementing AUGs, and I think Uni team's interest in an award that is competiting with AUGs is going to be considerably less than one that is complementing AUGs.

Also I think 4 tournaments a year where you are pushing for university participation is too many for a university student to commit to. If you made it 2 at the most 3 non AUG tournaments it might be doable.

Also you need to keep in mind that if there are other viable local tournaments clashing with one of the triple crown tournaments, then I think most Uni Club co-ordinators are probably going to lean towards the local event over the interstate event for sheer logistical reasons. For example in QLD our traditional leadup tournament to AUGs and Mixed Nats is LoveFest which is a UQ run event, where most of the other QLD unis attend (QUT, UQ, GU) plus a a couple of the other Brisbane mixed teams like Bootius and the like, plus a couple of pick up teams from around Brisbane and Byron etc. 

Also I don't know how others would feel about it, but coming from QLD with petrol prices the way they are, road trips are still quite expensive and time consuming to the point where I personally wouldn't want to be driving more than one a year to what be in essence a "social event" on the uni frisbee calender, but that is just my two cents. I know there are a lot of "social frisbeers" out there who aren't looking to also attend Nats, Mixed Nats and NUFL in their frisbee year as well.

The other idea I had was ripping off the Callahan award from the States. Basically it is a popular vote award for the best player (one male, one female) in college ultimate. So this thread is for some brainstorming...

* Name of the award
    * Criteria (Australian resident, etc.)
    * How it is decided (popular vote, judging panel)
    * When/how it is awarded (eg: voted on and awarded at AUG, voting online and awarded at AUG)
If you come up with the award why not call it the "Simmo" award. I mean if you are doing the vast majority of the behind the scene work to develop uni ultimate and you want to bring in a new award then name it after yourself! Alternatively you could name the award the "Dowle" award for the most prolific Uni Games representative thus far.

I also think the award should go to an Australian resident (or at least an international student that enrolled to complete their entire degree in Australia), but I think the primary criteria should be based around the player that embodies the attirbutes of a "university ultimate player" - which would include things like, being a good player with good spirit, attending and good party performances, being social and likable, etc.

As for how it is decided, I think nominations, followed by a panel vote or maybe vote by team captains, excluding those that have been nominated. I'd like to see it awarded at AUGs with all the other medals.

Personal view: I'd like to see this award go to a player who hasn't played Nationals before, akin to the NAB Rising Star award in AFL. The process I'd use is that a panel (maybe of all state uni coords) would nominate six (or whatever) male and female players, then a popular vote leading up to and during AUG, and then crowning the winner after the AUG final. This would mean that new talent would be recognised (a nomination alone would be seen as prestigious) and hopefully encourage those players to go on to play Nationals, and would also recognise year-long effort, not just AUG performance.
Personally I think a "Rising Star" or "Rookie of the Year" style award could be another separate award given at AUGs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:24:18 AM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:11:08 AM »

Thoughts/comments?

We already have MVP awards, which is essentially what the Callahan is. Why do we need further glorification of individuals, and surely these people would be just be the MVP's over again?

...is what I would say, if I didn't completely agree with you that we need our own Callahan, and all the speculation/bitchings/recognition/glory that comes with it.

Issues I have:

• We are not America. For them, college ultimate is pretty much club ultimate with chumpier throwing options. Here - and I'm admitting freely that I am no expert and would love to be corrected - uni games is a social experience, and we are not yet at their overall standard of play which I would state necessitates such an award.
  • The 'grand slam' of uni ultimate doesn't seem to be much of one, although again I really really like the idea. Of the three mentioned, Stampede/Shenanigans were the only two that (to my inexperienced eyes, I was going by team names not rosters) were university-based in the majority. Although I did play Shenanigans with Mac, it was hardly a Mac team (three Macquarie students of whom two were imports, the Barr's and their girlfriends - I was not at university at the time).

So if we're at a level of university ultimate where the transition is painstakingly being made from uni games as a week-long pissup where you can inebriatedly get with people in our little incestuous frisbee circle to uni games as the highly sought-after 'second tier' of Ultimate after Nationals (don't mention NUFL, Chris might get pissed off again) then I think the criteria the seppo's have might need to be fiddled around a bit to award professionalisation/administration/recruitment of or to a uni club over presence on the field.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:56 AM »

Only if they can have awesome video's like this one... <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6B1BvXYbhUE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6B1BvXYbhUE</a>
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »

If you come up with the award why not call it the "Simmo" award. I mean if you are doing the vast majority of the behind the scene work to develop uni ultimate and you want to bring in a new award then name it after yourself!
The only award that I deserve to have named after me would be "Most Innovative Injury", because I'm sure I would have won it the last four years running.

rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »

The only award that I deserve to have named after me would be "Most Innovative Injury", because I'm sure I would have won it the last four years running.

I think Tom Brennan has had that award as his own since 1995, though Sarah Crossie has been making a strong run for the past 3-4 years.
moroney

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:56:52 PM »

Rachel,

Whilst I'm unaware of Tom's injuries, they would have to be pretty good to top the P-units run of "injuries", the last of which saw him getting carted off to hospital as a result of chronic dehydration after a big night out at AUG. Classic.

Yaaayahhh HOS and Monash
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »

Personally I think my injury at the Boycott City Challenge was better than that. Right up there with my WUCC injury (jarred thumb due to a mistimed high five).

mattdowle
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:19:27 PM »

I don't think there will ever be another Tom Brennan out there (he's in a constant injury league of his own) - Rachel is right on the money. No disrespect to your injuries Simmo, but you would have to sustain that for another 5 years at least to catch up to Tom.

btw, Sorry Tom -  I just look up to is all, never quite been able to break (no pun intended) into your league, haha.

I think the Callahan thing is a great idea, but you would have to get it awarded properly. By the captains and TD for the week.

Sorry Tiger, but the MVP just doesn't cut it and to me it means very little (applies to all tournaments). It's always basically given to a person who's pretty good or very good on a not so good team. Ask Gak how many times he's got the award?
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:25:28 AM »

"Ask Gak how many times he's got the award?"

Ohhh snap!

Matt, you really shouldn't say such terrible things about the dingos Tongue

Its true that the way the MVP is worked out at most tournaments means that they are sort of silly. How else could Matzuka get an award for anything Wink

The way they worked it out in Taiwan was probably less stupid...
FarmerJohn

United States United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »

In the US, each team nominates their own Callahan nominee (typically that team's best player) sometime during the season. Then the award typically goes to one of the players from one of the top teams at nationals.

My assorted ultimate thoughts - farmerulti.blogspot.com
Timmy D

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 09:44:47 PM »

Do they have a Green & Gold type award in North America, or just Callahan?

Perhaps each team could nominate a Callahan award winner from the top 4 or 8 teams at Unigames, then the Green & Gold committee could select the winner.  Maybe the Callahan award winner could be the Green & Gold captain, requiring a combination of playing ability and leadership qualities.
oshep

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 01:39:57 AM »

I think recognition of good new uni players, or established elite uni players, is low on the list of priorities for uni ultimate. Too many people know Matt Dowle or have heard of the next up-and-coming uni stud, in my books Smiley

My suggested priorities:
More uni events, more incentives for unis to host events, more incentives for sending multiple teams, more resources for new clubs, more support for coaching, more unis nominating for AFDA awards.

And how's the Walkabout going? Who's winning?

Tactics, coaching and fun at http://thinkulti.blogspot.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese