UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 15, 2019, 12:09:27 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Tell us more about yourself. Modify your profile by clicking on the Profile link.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a US-style Callahan award  (Read 17839 times)
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:58 PM »

...even if it is only like $500 per event.
Are you catching taxis there? I paid less than $500 to go to both Stampede and Shenanigans last year.
it would cost us brisbane Uni students that much once we included travel (flights as i dont have the timetable to let me drive), accom, food and booze. Not to mention Perth. If you have any Uni league you may want to consider the rest of the country when you think about where it is going to be.

That said i did pay $1400 for uni-games in Adelaide but that was because i had to have my alcohol drip in 24/7 to stop the pain of playing savage.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

My suggested priorities:
More uni events, more incentives for unis to host events, more incentives for sending multiple teams, more resources for new clubs, more support for coaching, more unis nominating for AFDA awards.
I agree with all of these, but implementation is a tricky business. 3 or 4 years ago, funding for uni sporting clubs was freely available, but not so much any more. Even infrastructure and other means of support are severely depleted at a number of universities. Most clubs are successfully learning to be self-sufficient, and so the onus is now falling to us (the frisbee community) to provide resources and support to new clubs.

I don't think clubs need incentives to attend events - I don't know any club that wouldn't send two or three teams to a tournament if they had the players available. Recruitment and such all falls down to the key people and the effort they're willing to expend - most clubs are only driven by one or two people so only the minimum gets done (getting a team to AUG). In my mind, there are two things that should be happening to address this.

1) Clubs need to delegate administrative type tasks to players who aren't involved outside the uni scene. Things like treasurer roles, organising social events and emailing club members. Takes some of the burden off the key players and doesn't require on-field skill!

2) Level 1 qualified coaches should be approaching uni clubs to offer their services. Especially new clubs who don't know who to approach. Every uni sports association will provide some sort of support or funding for a qualified, non-playing coach (eg: Ballarat Uni pays for the coach's AUG trip).

That just made me think of a third.

3) If they haven't done so already, every uni club should have a face-to-face meeting with their sports officer (or whoever). Emails and phone calls just don't cut it - they need to sit down, explain what their club is all about, what they do and what their plans are for the year. In return, they should be finding out exactly what their sports association can offer them. Once the sports officer can put a face/name with the club, they will be a lot easier to deal with.

And how's the Walkabout going? Who's winning?
Fyshwick United, at a guess.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 12:59:05 AM »

2) Level 1 qualified coaches should be approaching uni clubs to offer their services. Especially new clubs who don't know who to approach. Every uni sports association will provide some sort of support or funding for a qualified, non-playing coach (eg: Ballarat Uni pays for the coach's AUG trip).

Damn you for putting that on ultitalk. Now Chris Cunliffe is going to expect us to pay for his AUG's.  Cry
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »

Only for non-playing coaches  Grin

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:07 AM »

Only for non-playing coaches  Grin
Chris just wont play. But that means i might get a free trip Cheesy

1) Clubs need to delegate administrative type tasks to players who aren't involved outside the uni scene. Things like treasurer roles, organising social events and emailing club members. Takes some of the burden off the key players and doesn't require on-field skill!
that is all well and good but the problem arises when your only active members all graduate or change degrees before you planned. Damn Huddy moving to tassie but that is UTAS gain i guess.

3) If they haven't done so already, every uni club should have a face-to-face meeting with their sports officer (or whoever). Emails and phone calls just don't cut it - they need to sit down, explain what their club is all about, what they do and what their plans are for the year. In return, they should be finding out exactly what their sports association can offer them. Once the sports officer can put a face/name with the club, they will be a lot easier to deal with.
Can i also suggest that you make firends with other sport managers. I know that i am close with the Volleyball, Soccer, Waterpolo and Mixed Netty managers at QUT. This means not only do you get to watch the lesbo soccer players making out but you get fundraising ideas and player transfers form the other sports. Plus if you impress them with your partying at uni games then tell them how many hours you played that day ultimate starts to look hard core.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese