UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 19, 2019, 11:17:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Show me all! Wanna see all topics from all boards on one page? Check out the UltiTalk Sitemap.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ultimate Frisbee on Olimpic Games in 2012  (Read 61202 times)
SergioPL

Poland Poland

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »

Hello everybody !!!

I think putting UF on Olimpics would be huge step forward for this sport, so don't wait any minute longer and sign this petition !!

http://www.my-cause.com/ultimate_frisbee_for_the_2012_olympics?112,40

Cheers

Play Ultimate everyday !!! Cheesy
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »

Nice work Sergio!  I just signed the petition.  And to show UT's support, here is a badge to further your cause.

Good luck with it.  Cool

- Seppo

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
raymie_y

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »

Unfortunately it is not that easy. A sport has to first become a demonstration event before becoming an Olympic event. There is also a cap on the number of sports and events as well as the number of athletes. Baseball and Softball are being discontinued and they are very popular sports. I do not want to be negative but it might take a bit more time than 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games

-Raymie

When in doubt, the hammer is always a good choice.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »

Signed, but yeah.
It might take a bit longer than 2012 Sad

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
SergioPL

Poland Poland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:55:34 AM »

never mind howl long it will take, if we do nothing we will never see frisbee on OG, this is just first step guys ...
so stop grumbling Wink and sign it !! Cheesy

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »

Nice idea, but I don't see it happening in any of our Frisbee careers, and I don't think a petition will make any difference. Player number and spectators are what really matter.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
SergioPL

Poland Poland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »

if not for yourself make it for future generations ... if we do nothing, nothing will happen . I don't know if it will bring as closer to the olimpics but this is just first step. And if we will be talking all the time things like: "i don't see it happening" or "i don't think it will make any difference", we will stay in the same place and have to listen things like "ultimate frisbee?? aaa youw play with dogs..." ...

Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »

I'd say that a good majority of the people involved on these forums are active Ultimate members in their communities whether it be through coaching, league development and tournament administration or team management/development. To implying that we aren't doing our part to "make a difference" is a little insulting. 260+ posts on these forums to date should say that I care, even just a little bit.

I'm just not someone to naively thinks that a petition will change anything. Money makes the world go round unfortunately and deluding yourself with the idea that a few Ultimate players signatures on a virtual petition would even turn a head is just a waste of time and energy that could be put towards a more productive outcome.

I'm not saying the desire to improve and develop the game of ultimate is a waste of time time, or not a noble cause - I'm just saying that in life it is important to look at the brutally honest facts and act accordingly. Those facts are when it comes to sports like Soccer, Tennis, Swimming (just as an example) which are all Olympic sports, they all have participation rates in Australia of over a million people. That's a lot considering in Australia we currently only have 3000+ active Frisbee players, and I think that figure is probably even over inflated. 

Ultimate is in its infancy - and the the only real way to turn heads is to build our participation rates and help push the game as a spectator sport that is worthy of being in the Olympics.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Tassie Joe

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »

Not to mention that one of the eligibility requirements for an olympic sport is to have qualified referees.  That could be a bit of a problem in our sport.
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »

Not if everyone that plays at olympic level takes a refereeing course?

Maybe people at high level should have to have a course to test knowledge of rules etc...
raymie_y

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »

Not if everyone that plays at olympic level takes a refereeing course?

Maybe people at high level should have to have a course to test knowledge of rules etc...

Not to thread hijack but to me that should be a prerequisite of every player in a UPA sectional, regional or national game.

Back to the topic at hand, I am an eternal optimist but I was just brining a little gravity to the situation. I am happy that you (SergioPL) is putting together and encouraging the petition.

-Raymie

When in doubt, the hammer is always a good choice.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 12:53:49 AM »

if not for yourself make it for future generations ... if we do nothing, nothing will happen . I don't know if it will bring as closer to the olimpics but this is just first step. And if we will be talking all the time things like: "i don't see it happening" or "i don't think it will make any difference", we will stay in the same place and have to listen things like "ultimate frisbee?? aaa youw play with dogs..." ...
I do like to think that ultimate being part of the World Games is doing a pretty good job of pushing for Olympic inclusion. IOC representatives watched some of the World Games in 2005 and were very impressed with the self-officiating structure of the sport.

But given that criteria for consideration is that the sport is played (defined as having a formally recognised national association hosting a formally recognised national championships) in 75 countries by men and 40 countries by women, and that ultimate only meets this criteria in 25 countries I'd say we're quite a way off. That, and the IOC prefers individual pursuits over team sports.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
pquinn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 11:01:39 PM »

Yeah sign this for us Young-uns! I want to see this sport played and respected around the globe ASAP!

High Tech High Ultimate!
bwhite55

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »

i don't want it to get popular, because with any sport that gets big and out in the open, you have drug scandals, people that do it for money and not love of the game, etc.....

lets just keep it outa the spotlight and keep it fun for everybody.
Adelaide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 02:57:35 AM »

I feel the same way as the last comment. Part of the reason Ultimate is so cool is that it still flies under the radar and tends to attract mellower people. I'd hate to see it become too intense.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese