UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. June 18, 2019, 05:35:47 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Suggestions or comments? Post them on the Feedback board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ultimate Frisbee on Olimpic Games in 2012  (Read 60281 times)
discman

United States United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »

If ultimate is going to make a jump up in recognition I think a more likely and more obtainable goal would be to possibly work to get it added to the Xtreme Games.  You know with all of the skateboards, surfing, snowboarding etc...

The Xtreme Games took those suedo sports and made them huge and now many of the events are olympic events.  I could see ultimate being a type of sport that could be added as an Xtreme game embrassing the no referee rules and let the world see it on stage for awhile.  Then perhaps it would have a shot at being an olympic sport. 

teedaledge

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »

It would be a sweet route, but I don't think Ultimate falls under that genre of sports.
discman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »

Yeah it would be a stretch to group it with the typical Xtreme Games type sports.  It would involve growth on the part of the Xtreme Games to expand its reach and style in order for it to work but I still think its more likely to work in that venue then the olympic venue, at least in the near future.

I do think some of the ultimate frisbee lifestyle and essence is probably closer to that of some Xtreme sports then it would be mainstream sports like soccer or baseball.
s0urce

Canada Canada

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »

actually an Ultimate group from Montreal was one of four finalist for PetroCanada's contest about what sport should be an olympic sport.

http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/media/1886.aspx?id=783657

Obviously it will never happen due to the cap on events and the fact there is not enough of a worldwide following.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

If ultimate is going to make a jump up in recognition I think a more likely and more obtainable goal would be to possibly work to get it added to the Xtreme Games.  You know with all of the skateboards, surfing, snowboarding etc...

The Xtreme Games took those suedo sports and made them huge and now many of the events are olympic events.  I could see ultimate being a type of sport that could be added as an Xtreme game embrassing the no referee rules and let the world see it on stage for awhile.  Then perhaps it would have a shot at being an olympic sport. 
This kid is on the money.

The culture of ultimate is very close to the culture of surfing and skating than it is to team sports. It is very participant-driven, very low on officiation and huge in terms of camaraderie and respect between opponents. In terms of development, ultimate is about where surfing was in the early 1980s - moving from a recreational sport to a competitive sport, with world tours and sponsorship.

A lot of people think we should be trying to get a team sport, ESPN audience, but that's virtually impossible. People's attachment to these sports is very deep rooted and difficult, nigh on impossible, to change because of their emotional involvement. However I think there is a niche for ultimate in the extreme sports market as the first ever team extreme sport.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese