UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 15, 2019, 12:50:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Aussie Thunder  (Read 13891 times)
timill

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »

U19 Open team announced!
On behalf of the AFDA, we are proud to announce the u19 open team for the World Ultimate Championships in Vancouver Canada (August 2-9 2008). The team is;

Captain: Phil White (NSW)

Robbie Andrew (SA)
Jake Angelovich (VIC)
Alexander Britten-Jones (SA)
Lewis Broad (VIC)
Ashley Buttons (TAS)
Brock Cunliffe (QLD)
Michael Dunne (TAS)
Peter Eley (WA)
Lachlan Gregory (WA)
Dale Grixti (SA)
Max Halden (NSW)
Josh Jacobs (NSW)
Jeremy Katz (VIC)
Sean Lace (SA)
Will Larkin (QLD)
Alex Linnertson (NSW)
Tarrant Meehan (VIC)
David Noble (NSW)
Alistair See (NSW)
Calan Spielman (NSW)
Tom Tullet (NSW)
Jackson Turner (NSW)
Tiger Webb (NSW)
Lochlan Wise (VIC)

We would like to thank all the people who have supported the squad since it was formed in January, in particular;

- The players who were not selected for the team, we would not be as strong without their efforts, hard work and inspiration (you know who you are),
- The parents of the athletes who have worked behind the scenes at the two training camps (9 days of training...) providing food, support and billets in two cities for the athletes who travelled.
- The senior players and teams that have participated in our preparation to this date; Chilly, Dingoes, Heads of State, Barefoot, Karma, Firestorm, The Pass, Tiggers and FakUlti
- And finally our managers, Joan and campbell (Huge thank you).

Piers Truter on behalf of the u19 open team selectors, Daniel Rule, John McNaughton, Matthew Hill and Jimmy Todd-Hill

Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:19:15 AM »

Haha, I was going to make this thread a while ago lol.

What do you think of the team Matt? Was there any debate on players that didn't make it?

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
JMc
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:02:25 AM »

What do you think of the team Matt? Was there any debate on players that didn't make it?

The selectors had specific selection meetings for around 3 hours on Friday, 2.5 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday, not counting other talks held less formally throughout the weekend. Piers was not kidding when he said it was a long and difficult process.

Yes, there was a lot of debate, but in the end we believe we have selected the best team that we could.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »

Yeah, I believe you. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to choose a team.

How much of a chance do you think we have of winning Worlds? (Being realistic of course).
I didn't go in '06 (Hell I've only been playing for 10months) so im not sure what the competition is like.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »

Captain: Phil White (NSW)

Robbie Andrew (SA)
Jake Angelovich (VIC)
Alexander Britten-Jones (SA)
Lewis Broad (VIC)
Ashley Buttons (TAS)
Brock Cunliffe (QLD)
Michael Dunne (TAS)
Peter Eley (WA)
Lachlan Gregory (WA)
Dale Grixti (SA)
Max Halden (NSW)
Josh Jacobs (NSW)
Jeremy Katz (VIC)
Sean Lace (SA)
Will Larkin (QLD)
Alex Linnertson (NSW)
Tarrant Meehan (VIC)
David Noble (NSW)
Alistair See (NSW)
Calan Spielman (NSW)
Tom Tullet (NSW)
Jackson Turner (NSW)
Tiger Webb (NSW)
Lochlan Wise (VIC)

Fucking hell, lads, that is a sweet lineup.

Well done to all of you Smiley

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
carlie

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »

Nice work all.  Special shout out to Tiger!  Nice work mate.  See you in Vancouver.
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »

How much of a chance do you think we have of winning Worlds? (Being realistic of course).
I didn't go in '06 (Hell I've only been playing for 10months) so im not sure what the competition is like.
Being realistic, you guys will probably be underdogs to win it, but should have a strong chance of medaling. With that said you still have about 18 weeks before you head off, that is a hell of a lot of time to make some big improvements, so anything is possible if you work hard and work smart.

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure the Australian Juniors have never medaled before; they came really close in 2006, picking up 4th. So I'm sure picking up a medal of some kind is the coaching staffs main objective for your 2008 campaign.

As for who your main competition is going to be, not that I have played Juniors personally, but from everything I have heard the US and Canada are the business.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:32:34 PM by Chris » Logged

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
JMc
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 02:54:23 AM »

How about we put it this way? "Thunder on top of the world" is a very real possibility for the AFDA news page on August 10...

In 2006, Thunder challenged the top dogs. We didn't quite get over the line, but we were 13-all against Canada in game one, we took half in the semi, and we gave the USA their tightest game of the tournament (according to their coaches).

Thunder 2008 has two major things going for it over that team. 1) The pool is far deeper - you boys are better than we were in '06, without question. 2) We learnt from that campaign. Piers will be an even better coach with a Thunder campaign under his belt, and he is working on improving what we did last time around (e.g. picking a squad with 5 more players, because we ran out of legs in '06).

Simple piece of advice to work on for the next few months: be confident, back yourselves, and don't believe the hype. Over the next 4 months, there'll be a heap of talk on the Internet about how good the US and Canadian teams are. To some degree, we seem to fall into the trap of elevating North American frisbee above Australian frisbee, since the game is a lot bigger and we hear a lot about it. It's crap.
You will line up against some great teams and some great players at Worlds. It will be tough work to beat those teams and those players - you don't need to make them any bigger by giving them the mental edge. Back yourself, back your team mates, back your support, and play the best frisbee that you can play.

I'm excited about Thunder, and I'm not excited because I think they'll have a good time.
I'm excited because you boys are going to rock the world.

Yeah Australia.
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 03:25:09 AM »

Wow, it means a lot that you think that Mac daddy. From my view you guys were stacked, but I guess quite a few just started and you have progressed from there.
I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking of worlds too much.

I'm not sure it was such a good idea to have all divisions of Aus staying in the same place. I mean, it will be thee most fun ever... Waaaaaaaayyyyy too much Shannagans etc.. but thats why I don't think it was a good idea but hell im glad they did it. JMc I heard that you got blamed for everything and all Shannagans pretty much in '06... hahaha.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Jangles

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »

yeh sounds like jmc. I am suprised he didnt get arrested at uni games the drunkard. Always in the womens room causing some sorta havoc.

i mean clean up your act johnny jeez!!!!   Cheesy
Eli

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 08:34:56 AM »

Goodluck boys, USA has picked a pretty hot team.
Benny Haim

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 08:40:31 AM »

What a dode
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:44:55 AM »

Goodluck boys, USA has picked a pretty hot team.

From what I've read - www.youthultimate.com, and that's it - there's a fair amount of piping and bitching about whether or not their team could be better. Sure, there's a fair bit on our side as well but at least with the exception of Lex we have the good grace to not vent publicly.

Cheesy

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »

From what I've read - www.youthultimate.com, and that's it - there's a fair amount of piping and bitching about whether or not their team could be better. Sure, there's a fair bit on our side as well but at least with the exception of Lex we have the good grace to not vent publicly.

Cheesy

T.

Hahahah, yeah.

Wait, what?

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
--Golli

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 01:05:45 AM »

From what I've read - www.youthultimate.com, and that's it - there's a fair amount of piping and bitching about whether or not their team could be better.

Some of the bitching looks to be related to the fact only 1/3 of the roster can in collage. Whats with that rule?
I can understand how the UPA would want to send some younger players too, but from reading the comments on youthultimate.com, it looks like a fair number of very experienced players didn't make it. Is there some deeper reason to the rule?  Huh

Has Canada announced their team yet?

JMc, That post is really inspiring! It's pleasing to know that people think that Thunder will do so well!

-Dale
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese