UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. September 20, 2019, 01:35:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Where are you? Pin yourself on the UltiTalk Member Map.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Uni Challenges 08  (Read 77713 times)
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:58:04 AM »

I know the Nationals debate is on at the moment, but since Western NSW don't have any reps there, we are thinking a little in advance.

In particular, the upcoming University Challenges in June.

With the cost being $110 per person, just curious to find out what Uni's are going.

I'm just thinking if it is like last years ECC's with 6 teams, is it really worth paying that amount to play? Maybe a IV could be organised in it's place?

-bozza
gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 03:18:01 AM »

If a good (6 team+) tournament somewhere in NSW or Victoria was organised in its place, you can be pretty sure that UQ will seriously consider it.

We're wondering why we should spend $110 to go to a GCC where there are only going to be 2 other teams, who we could play any time we want...
We'd much prefer to spend $110 on travel, alcohol, and a whole lot of fun somewhere else.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:40:28 AM by gref » Logged
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:37 AM »

We're doing the same thing we did last year. Looking off South Challenge and running our own IV. Definitely 4 teams, possibly as many as 9 or 10.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:24 AM »

We had 5 just at our IV (then split squads). But there is somehting nice about the official character about Uni Games.Who would organise it in NSW? i doubt any of the Uni's in sydney will get off their arse...Sydney included (we just hosted a tournament). I think an IV would lose some of gloss associated...yeah its abit mroe expensive, but you get to feel like a real sport...and its not just the same frisee crowd (as awesome as they are).
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:20:51 PM »

Simmo -> Maybe make an official Challenge boycott and invite all Uni teams to give it that "uni" feel Smiley

If you can give me details, i'll pass it on to the CSU crowd Smiley
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »

Sydney has begun to consider possibly having a 2 or 3 day IV tournament instead of ECC, at a lower price.

Reason for this is that last year, we got 2 or 3 games per DAY with a small number of teams, at an OUTRAGEOUS price for ultimate. However we would need to know how many teams we can get to play...

DaveR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »

Sydney has begun to consider possibly having a 2 or 3 day IV tournament instead of ECC, at a lower price.

Reason for this is that last year, we got 2 or 3 games per DAY with a small number of teams, at an OUTRAGEOUS price for ultimate. However we would need to know how many teams we can get to play...

Looks like i have been overruled by El Presidente. yay IV's...boo challenges
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:05:45 PM »

If it's hosted on the same week as ECC's, all students are still able to purchase social passes... So if partying with all students is what you want, it's still a viable option!!
TomRocks

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 02:54:32 AM »

words folks.

UTS gets a lot of newbies each year, so it's a constant challenge to encourage them to come and play with us (let alone come and train).

If we drop the ECC for another IV then we will lose the pull of "uni games". Even if we qualify it by saying more teams will be attending, it'll be cheaper, and you can still attend the parties - it won't have the uni games aura, it will just be another IV.

We could always pretend it's the ECC by making the party passes part of the cost of the IV, trying to organise fields near other sports, having MVPs etc etc.

Hate to be negatory about it, but IV's are pretty common, EUGs/ECC is known outside of Ultimate and happens only once a year. We use it pretty heavily to draw players.

T.
thebozzman

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 03:27:50 AM »

CSU is the same as UTS in using AUS events to encourage people to play.

However, we ended up having 10 people play at ECC's last year (1 had to be persuaded) and we still only had 4 girls. We had people drop outs mainly due to the cost of the event.

Teams outside of Sydney also have to pay for their accomodation and travel, making it a pretty pricey endeavour. Each CSU person paid 110 (entry fee) + 75 accomodation, plus meals, drinks and cabs.
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 03:29:47 AM »

Understood Tom,

However in my opinion, ECCs has already become 'just another IV' - not many teams, and now it's not even qualifying. It's pretty clear now that AUGs is 'where it's at' and the only advantage I saw was that it gave uni teams a chance to practice together before the real thing. A multi-day IV will provide that, rest assured that it will be much more than a normal IV (I doubt it will even be labelled as such). If we do it, we'll do it right.

As for encouraging new members, at least at Sydney, we emphasise the fact that 'uni games' is AUGs. Gone are the days of EUGs/AUGs, where you would need your best team to qualify. The UTS club is looking really strong, with lots of potential uni games talent. This tournament would be a chance to field your best team, and get them preparing for Melbourne, as opposed to (for example) our last IV, which focused primarily on getting all the new members participating.

gref

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 04:42:43 AM »

That's the way I'm looking at it:

If this is organised well, this will be a pre-unigames tournament that all universities looking to be competitive will want to get to.

Not only that, we get to play interstate, pay less than for GCC or ECC, and get more competition, and more players.

While universities closer to the event might work on A B splits and get B teams having fun and promoting recruitment, it gives teams like UQ a chance to get out and play someone that isn't QUT, and have some fun doing it.
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »

Simmo -> Maybe make an official Challenge boycott and invite all Uni teams to give it that "uni" feel Smiley
Well we did call it the Boycott City Challenge (as opposed to Latrobe City Challenge) last year!

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
Chris

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 01:01:30 AM »

If a good (6 team+) tournament somewhere in NSW or Victoria was organised in its place, you can be pretty sure that UQ will seriously consider it.

We're wondering why we should spend $110 to go to a GCC where there are only going to be 2 other teams, who we could play any time we want...
We'd much prefer to spend $110 on travel, alcohol, and a whole lot of fun somewhere else.
Why doesn't UQ and QUT just spend the measly $110 and road trip to ECC to make ECC more competitive and worthwhile...? I'm sure between all the other Sydney teams they could probably take on at least a few billets to save money on accommodation.

I think it is also worth noting that a lot of the top level uni players generally more interested in official and competitive tournaments where their achievements are recognised rather than loosely run IVs that are essentially social events.

So if you are looking for a tournament that is as high as level as possible I think running through ECC is probably going result in a better turnout of top teams and players. If you are just looking to run a social event and play a little Ultimate, then I guess the cheaper the better.

Help spread the word about the AUDL - "like" it @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDL/

UQ Lovers & Firestorm
Brettski

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 06:54:22 AM »

Why doesn't UQ and QUT just spend the measly $110 and road trip to ECC to make ECC more competitive and worthwhile...? I'm sure between all the other Sydney teams they could probably take on at least a few billets to save money on accommodation.

I think it is also worth noting that a lot of the top level uni players generally more interested in official and competitive tournaments where their achievements are recognised rather than loosely run IVs that are essentially social events.

A measly $110? Unfortunately alot of us aren't that well off, and when you add on accommodation, travel, food, alcohol - it turns into an expensive few days when all you want to do is play some ultimate.

I also don't see how our achievements are recognised except for a little medal and maybe a write up on the AUS website. If ECC was qualifying it would be a different story, and if the QLD come down to NSW, that basically negates the GCC as well.

Let me say again that if a tournament were to be held, and we had the support of other universities - it would be a serious, competitive competition, rather than a social IV. We can even find something shiny to hand out if we need to.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese