UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. December 20, 2014, 11:01:08 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
Subscribe to our RSS feeds. Click the next to the board of your choice.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lactic Acid Is Not Muscles' Foe, It's Fuel  (Read 6337 times)
Seppo
Global Moderator

United States United States

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »

I was just replying to a thread on RSD about ice baths, and some fella had contributed a link to this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html

Very interesting.  I always thought lactic acid = bad.

Hmmmmmmmm....  Undecided

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »

Haha, its both bad and good.

It's good in the sense that it is another energy system, its part of the ATP system and normally used for longish distance events. If you don't cool down properly or at all it stays in your muscles and thats why you feel sore the next day.

Here.

We have to do all this stuff for PD/H/PE lol.

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
Unamed.

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:03:55 AM »

thanks
kevpak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:57:11 PM »

Actually, lactic acid does not cause soreness.  Some theorize that soreness or DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is caused by muscle damage, but this has never been proven either.  Basically, we do not know what causes soreness. 
Lex

Australia Australia

In - Tents Defence!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:24:36 AM »

I thought the left over acid made the muscles stiff. Thats why they are sore?

-Alex

Lay-out
Lay-well.
Quote from: Simon Talbot
Hammer from sash to monkey man. 16-11. It's all over. Just quietly, i'm smashed! Yeah chilly!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.
DwightHarris

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »

well, regardless of whether lactic acid helps or not, it doesn't change the way that my muscles feel after Saturday of a tournament, nor how I need to cool down / stretch better, but hardly ever do.
Seppo
Global Moderator

Seppo and the BIG Check.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Lex.  I'm pretty sure residual lactic acid left in the muscle after intense exercise definitely attributes to soreness.  I've read about it several places, and talked to many a physical trainer and therapist about it.

And besides, the proof is in the results.  Flushing the residual lactic acid from the muscles using hot/cold water treatments leaves my muscles feeling normal and ready for action the next day.

Giddeeup.

========================
PlayUlty.Com
Educational and lifestyle products for Ultimate Frisbee.
http://www.playulty.com
========================
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese