UltiTalk.Com
Welcome to the ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee forum. November 26, 2014, 07:01:36 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate forum for talking about Ultimate Frisbee. Aimed at bringing new life to the world of Ultimate Frisbee discussions, UltiTalk.Com (UT) combines both regional and international topics in one friendly place. So say hello to UT: The International Ultimate Frisbee forum.

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to reveal the members-only Shout Box, Chatroom, and more!
What's New? Interested in seeing a list of all the topics you have yet to read? Click the Show unread posts links at the top of the forum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Visit UltiTalk.Com on TwitterVisit UltiTalk.Com on Facebook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The life of a tournament director.  (Read 4933 times)
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:14:25 AM »

6 weeks to go
- Emailed the state list advertising the tournament.
- Added the tournament to the AFDA calendar and set up a rego page.
Time spent - 10 minutes

3 weeks to go
- Phone tenant groups of Victoria Park asking if they planned to use Ovals 1, 2 and 3 on the day.
- Spoke to Ballarat City Council about the use of Victoria Park. Provided them with copy of public liability insurance certificate.
- Enquired about the use of privately owned fields (later proving to be unsuccessful. Oh well, at least I've got Vic Park confirmed)
- Email registered and interested captains more details about the event
Time spent - 20 minutes

1 week to go
- Answered questions emailed to me by captains
- Phoned players to organise my own team
- Phoned BUUF players about putting people up for the night
- Phoned Mel from The Courier to organise a photographer
- Phoned Mark from the Regent Bar to sort out 'happy hour' prices for players on Saturday night
Time spent - 40 minutes

2 days to go
- Responded to more emails from captains and players
- Created draw
- Printed out draw and scoresheets for teams on the day
Time spent - 20 minutes

1 day to go
- Phoned BUUF players to make sure they bring stuff like prizes, water barrels, cones, eskies and ice in the morning.
- Went to my parent's place to borrow esky and shade tent.
- Went to Brumby's to order bread rolls for collection in the morning.
- Printed out registration sheets for all teams, with space to collect details for players without AFDA numbers.
Time spent - 30 minutes

On the day
- Woke up at 8:30, did the usual morning stuff and drove to Vic Park
- Delegated tasks such as field setup, filling water barrels, setting up shade tents and buying fruit
- Captains meeting at 9:30
- Played the first two games
- Collected rego info and player fees off captains
- Missed third game to go to supermarket and buy lunch stuff
- Packed lunches
- Collected score sheets, collated results, wrote up afternoon draw and distributed to captains
- Phone Pinky's to order pizzas for the final
- Played fourth and fifth games
- Collected score sheets and advised captains of fields and opponents for playoffs
- Played playoff game
- Collated spirit and MVP scores during final
- Paid for and distributed pizzas
- Ran presentations
- Cleaned up rubbish (with assistance)
- Dumped rubbish
- Dropped shade tent and esky off at parent's place
- Home by 6:30 for shower, feed, Top Gear, then party.
Time spent - 10 hours

4 days after
- Deposited proceeds into BUUF account
- Finalised all team rego details
- Signed up new players with AFDA numbers
- Arranged for payment of AFDA fees
Time spent - 1 hour

Total time spent running tournament - 13 hours

Honestly, I don't see why people think it's difficult.

Share any advice, stories or tips and tricks for running tournaments.

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
rachelg

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 04:17:17 AM »

I know you're trying to make it seem attractive... Smiley but the timings you have there are for a pretty simple tournament.

For something like Nationals I've spent several hours on the budget/finances to date and am sure I will spend several more. Now Nationals is at the other extreme from an IV so you would expect more work to go in (ordering discs, organising the AFDA AGM, creating a program.... etc.etc).

But for a small/basic tournament once you have fields booked then the rest is pretty easy.
Tiger

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:08:08 AM »

What about running club training? If this season is anything to go by, it seems councils are paid a commission based on how many times they infuriate, ignore and bewilder teams. At least for Nationals you only have to book the fields once. Sheesh.

T.

thoughts and stuff - sifultimate.blogspot.com
simmo

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:00:15 AM »

I know you're trying to make it seem attractive... Smiley but the timings you have there are for a pretty simple tournament.

For something like Nationals I've spent several hours on the budget/finances to date and am sure I will spend several more. Now Nationals is at the other extreme from an IV so you would expect more work to go in (ordering discs, organising the AFDA AGM, creating a program.... etc.etc).

But for a small/basic tournament once you have fields booked then the rest is pretty easy.
Yeah, I ran Mixed Nats in 2006 and I'm more than aware of the work required behind a big tournament Sad

Club trainings are nothing, Tiger. Just don't tell the council. If some ranger comes along, you're not an organised club...frisbee's not a real sport!

Time to waste? Visit the Ballarat Ultimate blog!
littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »

We can no longer get away with that for club trainings in the ACT...

But sometimes we do just train somewhere if something unusual has happened and we don't have booked fields.

The ANU club can get away with the old "not-organised sport" however...particularly beecause they don't have the numbers to look organised Sad

-Tom
JdR

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »

Club trainings are nothing, Tiger. Just don't tell the council. If some ranger comes along, you're not an organised club...frisbee's not a real sport!
Remember - cones make you look organised.  So do matching shirts.  Avoid them.

mattdowle
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:03:25 AM »

Not telling the council or University or any owner of the fields is good in theory - but totally unrealistic. In Sydney come the cross-over between cricket and footy, its hard enough to find space as it is and trying to say you're not an organised sport with 30 players turning up for training - you give that a go. Seems things are much simplier in Vic, especially with the tournament organising schedule you put out.

Besides, we need lights to train. Clearly we are not as talented and night-eyed as you Vic folk

matt.h

Australia Australia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 05:20:22 AM »

Most teams down here train once on the weekends during the day, they also have the option of utilising lights on a Thursday night (which I think two clubs do).

I would have to agree with Rachel though, that rundown is a little overly simplistic. Its a nice way to entice people into helping run or TD tournaments but as the Hat committee has experienced in the past, if you don't tell people from the outset what is required of them, once they realise they may just disappear on you.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:22:45 AM by matthui » Logged

littletom

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »

ooooh, forget 'face of the games'!

Now we have baby dowle, the other dowle and surly dowle!

*cough* silence *cough*
tom_brennan

Australia Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »

It's not too hard ... if you have done it before and have a large group of competent and willing volunteers. Your narrative below made it sound too easy so I liberally cut and pasted to make it more gritty and realistic.

6 weeks to go
- Emailed the state list advertising the tournament.
- Added the tournament to the AFDA calendar and set up a rego page.
Time spent - 10 minutes
- try to set up rego page and can't
- roam around AFDA site trying to find out how - fail
- email webmaster asking how
- webmaster sets up rego page for you
Time spent - 20 minutes
2 days to go
- Responded to more emails from captains and players
- Created draw
- Printed out draw and scoresheets for teams on the day
Time spent - 20 minutes

1 day to go
- Went to Brumby's to order bread rolls for collection in the morning.
- Printed out registration sheets for all teams, with space to collect details for players without AFDA numbers.
- receive email from one captain saying that their team only has 6 players and can't make it
- you email other captains asking if they have any players who want to pick up
- redo draw just in case
- print out new draw
- captain emails you later saying they now only have 3 players
- you give up on trying to find pickup players for them
- ring Brumby's to reduce order of rolls
Time spent - 40 minutes

On the day
- wake up, do the usual morning stuff and drive to fields
- council has somehow double booked fields, requiring negotiation of field space with under-9s cricket, and smaller fields for the first two games
- toilets have no loo paper
- delegate someone to go to supermarket to get some
- captains meeting at 9:30
- two teams aren't there for the captains meeting
- you wait 10 minutes and get two phone calls
- one team is running late and will be there in 15 minutes
- the other team has had to pull out as 3 of their players are sick
- you hurriedly redo the draw again on the back of a piece of paper
- tournament starts 20 minutes late
- games played
- captains fail to return scoresheets and MVP sheets to you so you have to go chasing them up
- afternoon games start late as a result
- try to decipher MVP names - is "Dog" the same as "Dave P." and what about the team with three Michelles? Which one did they mean? You go and ask appropriate captains, who are little help. Give up and award male MVP to Adam Mortimer
- run presentations
- ask everyone to help by picking up rubbish
- pick up everyone's rubbish that they didn't help pick up
- pack up
- go home
- fall asleep before party
Time spent - priceless

Share any advice, stories or tips and tricks for running tournaments.

There is a tournament organising wiki on the AFDA site. The idea is that anyone can edit it so that it is a useful tool for all TDs - feel free to add to it. http://afda.com/wiki/tournament_toolkit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Google Bookmarks Ma.gnolia MSN Live Squidoo Yahoo My Web     Bookmark  |  Print  

Facebook Comments

Jump to:  

Advertise on UT!

Register your FREE UltiTalk.Com account to remove these ads!
Change language to English Change language to Brazilian Change language to Chinese-Simplified Change language to Danish Change language to Dutch Change language to English Change language to Finnish Change language to French Change language to German Change language to Greek Change language to Hebrew Change language to Hungarian Change language to Indonesian Change language to Italian Change language to Japanese Change language to Norwegian Change language to Polish Change language to Portuguese Change language to Romanian Change language to Russian Change language to Spanish Change language to Swedish Change language to Thai Change language to Turkish Change language to Ukranian Change language to Vietnamese